Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I don't f**king believe it

• 25-11-2007 3:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Finished Episode 2 on Friday night and been looking at all the lovely games that are around at the moment.

So, after oggling it for a while, I decided to get an elite and a few new games today. I'd trade it my perfect nick, fully boxed, fully functional premium and return with a black elite.

Packaged it carefully, boxed it, put it in the car beside me, drove to Gamestop. They unboxed it carefully, hooked it up to test it...

Red Rings of Death.

Not only am I pissed, I'm mortified cos it looks like I was trying to fob off a bricked box on them.

Brought it home and it's still fubarred.

:(

Wtf happened? Moving it obviously ballsed it. But it was handled with cotton wool all the way.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I went onto the MS site and it says the 360 is out of warranty? :( How the hell can that be? It was bought in August 06.

Isn't the warranty three years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,157 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The warranty is one year. The only problem that is covered for 3 years is the 3 red rings. Get on to Microsoft and they should repair it for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Just call MS. The warranty is 3 years for the three rings of death.

Well, on hold at the moment.

Blurb says its a 25 day turnaround on repairs.

What are the chances of this being sorted by Christmas..... ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

slim, mine was gone 28 days

And there is a few Banks Holiidays round xmas

• Advertisement

AdrianII wrote: »
    slim, mine was gone 28 days

And there is a few Banks Holiidays round xmas

Sigh. So much for playing Mass Effect over Christmas.

After half an hour, I got through. Guy said 20 working days from when they receive it. It'll take 3 days for me to get the UPS shipping doc. It'll take another day for them to collect it, maybe another 1/2 days for it to the get to the repair centre.

So it could be Monday the 3rd December by the time they get it. 20 working days after that, excluding bank hols, is well into the new year.

I'm kicking myself. If I hadn't moved it this wouldn't have happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

:( That is a really tough break. Hopefully you get a speedy return, fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

unlucky man , i say you where mortified :D

now when my 360 got redringitis and ups collected it i had it back in 15 days , so you may be lucky enough to get it back that quick.

Thanks Smelly. Guess I'm joining the majority now!
    Clover wrote: »
    unlucky man , i say you where mortified :D

In all fairness, the guy I was dealing with in Gamestop in Rathmines was nice about it. But the other guy in the shop clearly thought I was a dodgy twat trying to pull a fast one.

Took a few mins to repack the 360 and I scuttered back out the door with my tail in between my legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

A guy I know packed chocolate and crisps into his box in the hope to get a speed return.. I had a link somewhere to a forum but I cant find it :/

Worth a try lol :D

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭xo_CHEWY_ox

when i got the red rings, i took my xbox to gamestop and traded it in for an elite.they never checked it. i feel sorry for the person who bought it,took it home and found out it doesnt work but i couldnt go a month without my xbox!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

I wouldn't be too hopeful of a speedy return - mine was picked up on 6th Nov and still no sign :( Perhaps this week...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

That's a real shame... looks like that limited edition of Mass Effect will have to wait. ;)

If your really in a hurry for it you should ask for advice on returning goods over at the Consumer Issues forum. All I know is that your contract is with the store where you bought the 360, not the manufacturer - and electronic items are cover up to 6 years depending on the cost and what would be a reasonable amount of time for the product of that type to last.

The store may replace your 360 there and then in the name of goodwill.

Godspeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,027 ✭✭✭✭Basq

when i got the red rings, i took my xbox to gamestop and traded it in for an elite.they never checked it. i feel sorry for the person who bought it,took it home and found out it doesnt work but i couldnt go a month without my xbox!
    That's real shitty to be honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

A friend of mine who sent his 360 off because the RROD appeared got his console back yesterday (don't know if it was new one or just a repaired model, he didn't say) but he turned it on and ... RROD again ... nasty business.

Fnz wrote: »
    That's a real shame... looks like that limited edition of Mass Effect will have to wait. ;)

I know :( Had it my grubby little hands in the shop as yer man checked my 360!

I bought it in game 14 months ago.

I seriously doubt they'd do anything but tell me to return it to Microsoft. Has anyone actually had a retailer exchange a box after that long?

Hygro wrote: »
    A friend of mine who sent his 360 off because the RROD appeared got his console back yesterday (don't know if it was new one or just a repaired model, he didn't say) but he turned it on and ... RROD again ... nasty business.

:eek: Well, if they send them back to you like they recommend you send them off...

The guy told me to put the 360 into a 'non descript brown cardboard box'. I asked what sort of padding or cushioning they would recommend. He gave an exasperated 'just put it into the box' saying it 'didn't matter' about the padding.

If I just put a bloody 360 into a goddamn cardboard box it'll be totally shook up, won't it?

Do they pad them out when they send them out again? Given that slight shaking is what took mine out in the first place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

you could also argue that the console was working perfectly when you brought it over, did you ever think that maybe something happend when they brought it behind close doors to test it?

Also no way you wil lget it replaced by your original store you purchases from. Although YEs your contract is with the store, standard policy " displayed in all stores" is that 360's go off for repairs to microsoft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

i put mine in a box i bought in easons and it was a perfect fit , never bothered with to much padding and when i got it back they had it packed up very well and it was in perfect nick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

quad_red wrote: »
    Blurb says its a 25 day turnaround on repairs.

What are the chances of this being sorted by Christmas..... ?

I feel for ya quad, I once tried to trade in an xbox game, when I got to the store the clerk opened it instead of the Dead Rising was a copy of the movie "Notting Hill." Not only did I look like a unblievable idiot trying a fast-one, but I was a great fan of rom-coms starring Hugh Grant.
    A red faced mumbled exlanation and a hasty exit from the shop with the clerks laughter ringing in my ears followed.

On the repair side, they quoted me 25 working days turnaround as well, but according to the online staus tool on the xbox site it states that they've shipped it back to me Friday gone and I'd only sent it 2 weeks previous. So if the site is correct, I should get it back Tues or Weds. So you might get lucky, the 25 days thing is probably to cover their asses.

The xbox site also has a UPS tracking number for my box, but the UPS site won't recognise it! Anyone else had this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

A-Trak wrote: »
    I feel for ya quad, I once tried to trade in an xbox game, when I got to the store the clerk opened it instead of the Dead Rising was a copy of the movie "Notting Hill." Not only did I look like a unblievable idiot trying a fast-one, but I was a great fan of rom-coms starring Hugh Grant.
    A red faced mumbled exlanation and a hasty exit from the shop with the clerks laughter ringing in my ears followed.

im sorry but that is fu.cking hilarious! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭JM MARCONI

Make sure the component cable is pushed in all the way. I think you get flashing lights if it is not in all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

you know you could try the auld towel trick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

JM MARCONI wrote: »
    Make sure the component cable is pushed in all the way. I think you get flashing lights if it is not in all the way.

Thats what happened to me... Moved house, plugged in 360 and flashing lights. Turns out the cable just wasnt seated properly

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭hurleyd

You get 4 red lights if the cable is not pushed in properly. 3 red lights and it is back to microsoft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

yeah was it 3 lights or 4 ?
    because 4 lights is often caused by a loose video cable...

I feel for ya quad, I once tried to trade in an xbox game, when I got to the store the clerk opened it instead of the Dead Rising was a copy of the movie "Notting Hill." Not only did I look like a unbelievable idiot trying a fast-one, but I was a great fan of rom-coms starring Hugh Grant.
    A red faced mumbled explanation and a hasty exit from the shop with the clerks laughter ringing in my ears followed.

:D He he. I know what the hasty mumbled retreat is like!
    On the repair side, they quoted me 25 working days turnaround as well, but according to the online staus tool on the xbox site it states that they've shipped it back to me Friday gone and I'd only sent it 2 weeks previous. So if the site is correct, I should get it back Tues or Weds. So you might get lucky, the 25 days thing is probably to cover their asses.

I hope that's right for ye A-Trak. You'll be back in business hopefully this week.

It'd be nice if things worked that quickly but it seems like people are getting it in the neck in terms of waiting times these days.

Oman wrote: »
    you know you could try the auld towel trick

Thought about doing that. If I got it working again I could be sneaky and trade it in.

But
    A) That'd be sneaky and ****ty karma that would end up getting me in the end.

and

B) I've been humiliated once already! Not keen on round 2.

• Advertisement

you could also argue that the console was working perfectly when you brought it over, did you ever think that maybe something happend when they brought it behind close doors to test it?

Also no way you wil lget it replaced by your original store you purchases from. Although YEs your contract is with the store, standard policy " displayed in all stores" is that 360's go off for repairs to microsoft.

In all fairness, the guy unboxed it and tested it right in front of me and he was quite careful with it.

The one thing he was doing differently was standing it up on its side.

Advertisement