Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fifa WC draw

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

"Bulgaria is probably the main contender for us in this group," he said. "Montenegro, as with all of the former Yugoslavia nations, are difficult opponents. And let's not even talk about Ireland. "

Anyone else see Donadoni saying this? What did he mean about 'lets not even talk about Ireland'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Nunu wrote: »
    Yes...and we assume correctly.

How could it be fair for the worst runner up to play a team from Asia/Oceania/etc. when the other european runners up, who have picked up more points, have to play each other?

13 european teams qualify the worst runner up is out.

I never said the worst team would be the one that goes into the play-off with a team from another continent(infact I think we were top of the runners-up table in 2002)

Which continent has benefited with an automatic place instead of the play-off that had been there in the past ?

In 2006 Europe was just given 14 spots(so it was Europe for that tournament)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

"Bulgaria is probably the main contender for us in this group," he said. "Montenegro, as with all of the former Yugoslavia nations, are difficult opponents. And let's not even talk about Ireland. "

Anyone else see Donadoni saying this? What did he mean about 'lets not even talk about Ireland'?

I'm guessin he meant that it was obvious we'd be a difficult game. Thats the way it sounds anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I think I misunderstood what Donadoni said..he obviously meant no football tradition in that they have won no trophies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Big Ears wrote: »
    I never said the worst team would be the one that goes into the play-off with a team from another continent(infact I think we were top of the runners-up table in 2002)

Which continent has benefited with an automatic place instead of the play-off that had been there in the past ?

In 2006 Europe was just given 14 spots(so it was Europe for that tournament)

In 2006 13 european teams also qualified...Germany were hosts so they counted as a stand alone country just like S. Africa will this time.

Korea/Japan hosted 2002 so thats why the play offs were off kilter and we had to play Iran.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Not the worst group we could've got. Happy enough, with a new experienced manager, I don't see why we can't qualify quite comfortably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

was happy with group until getting italy put a bit of a dampner on things:(....

Yeah the Italy draw was not so much a dissapointment because I cannot wait to see them at Croker, but had we got the Czechs, we could really be excited about qualification.

I really think that if we could get Duff back to his former self we are similar in quality to the current Czech Republic team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Nunu wrote: »
    In 2006 13 european teams also qualified...Germany were hosts so they counted as a stand alone country just like S. Africa will this time.

Korea/Japan hosted 2002 so thats why the play offs were off kilter and we had to play Iran.

cheers for that , I reckon with the way some of the groups are(especially Group 3) that if we get second we won't be the unlucky side at the bottom of the runners-up table .

Yeah the Italy draw was not so much a dissapointment because I cannot wait to see them at Croker, but had we got the Czechs, we could really be excited about qualification.

I really think that if we could get Duff back to his former self we are similar in quality to the current Czech Republic team.

ye, if we had got czechs instead of italy, i would be confident of getting out of group BUT a lot depends on manager we get..cyprus must be thinking they have a slight chance, hardly worried about us

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

shiibata wrote: »
    ye, if we had got czechs instead of italy, i would be confident of getting out of group BUT a lot depends on manager we get..cyprus must be thinking they have a slight chance, hardly worried about us

If they feel that way then they are idiots. If they couldn't finish ahead of us at our worst, then it really says all that needs to be said about them as a team.

shiibata wrote: »

Co-sign. A good manager is vital, look how Russia did? But what people need to know is, despite what people may think our style is nothing like England, or Scotland etc. We actually could have a nice passing squad with the right manager, I fear someone like Venables will ruin the players at his disposal.

I think we should arrange to play Cyprus first at home, so the players can absolutely destroy them.

I think we should arrange to play Cyprus first at home, so the players can absolutely destroy them.

we have to play away first, due to the all irelands in september

That should not mean anything though, should it?

i think the first series of games is fixed for the first or second weekend of september so we would have to play away due to croker still having gaa matches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Probably more like "not to mention ireland".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ok, I'm gona through this out there with a bit of optimism, but anyone else somewhat quietly confident that we're gona have a good campaign? I know I'm being delusional, but I think we've got a good squad, was hit by injuries for key matches (S. Reid and Duffer who make a big difference) and could step it up if we get a decent manager in there?

No, as other posters have stated Donadoni was part of the Italian team which got beaten by Ireland in '94.

I am optimistic, Scotland pushed Italy, and their squad is not as good as ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

PHB wrote: »
    Ok, I'm gona through this out there with a bit of optimism, but anyone else somewhat quietly confident that we're gona have a good campaign? I know I'm being delusional, but I think we've got a good squad, was hit by injuries for key matches (S. Reid and Duffer who make a big difference) and could step it up if we get a decent manager in there?

Not to mention Stephen Ireland if he sorts himself out. I agree there's cause for optimism.

Maybe some of the other young players will progress nicely too from between now and the qualifiers. Guys like Gibson, Keogh, Garvan etc.

Not saying we'll finish above the world champs but I honestly think we'll give them a run for their money the way we did Portugal in the 2002 campaign.

Indeed. I think Gibson within two years could be playing regular football in the premiership. Ireland and S. Reid would be a really good partnership I think. Duffers and McGeady are a pretty solid wingers. McShane will be a year better.
    I remain hopeful :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Only saw the full group draw now, all I can say is ":rolleyes:"

Indeed. I think Gibson within two years could be playing regular football in the premiership. Ireland and S. Reid would be a really good partnership I think. Duffers and McGeady are a pretty solid wingers. McShane will be a year better.

sorry to say but i think mcshane is a liability..his heart is in the right place but i have no faith in him at all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Ive heard Gibson is highly rated by Man U and certainly what we have seen of his couple of appearances for Ireland he certainly looks a talent. I know Northern Ireland were pretty desperate to get him. So a bright future ahead for him I think.

We really do need Stephen Ireland aswell. Yes he has had some problems but we really dont have the luxury to overlook a player who is possibly our best prospect atm. Scored a class goal for City at the weekend. A midfielder who actually can score goals is a rarity for Ireland. His goal against Wales at Croke Park was excellent, probrably the best of the qualifiers for us. I really hope we dont lose a potential world class player because of a bit of foolishness on his part.

Our strongest squad a year from now could well be:

Given
    Dunne
    O'Shea
    Finnan
    Gibson
    Ireland
    Hunt
    Duff
    Kilbane
    Doyle
    Keane

Bench

A Reid
    S Reid
    Long
    McGeady
    McShane
    Carsley

And some of the younger guys.

If we avoid as many injuries as possible thats actually a strong squad that is more then capable of second place with the right manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

I think after the horror of Cyprus we all got carried away with ourselves (myself included) after McShanes unreal performance in the Czech game (not only his play, the way he was roaring at the lads to pull the finger out would nearly put Shay to shame :p ) and immediately proclaimed him McGrath Mark II, when he clearly has a while to go yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Group 8
    Italy
    Bulgaria
    Republic Of Ireland
    Cyprus
    Georgia
    Montenegro

I think it is a tough draw for Ireland, and I think we wont qualify.

Bulgaria are difficult, (and will be from Sep 2008 to Nov 2009, in most estimations), and although not unbeatable, I fear that they will have more capability than us in places such as Georgia and Montenegro (who are the best 6th seed). Also, Cyprus have not been an easy team for us to play against as we all know and whilst we should expect an Irish backlash and Cyprus can be flakey, they will still be a tricky customer and will have no fear.

But even if we finish 2nd, which is possible but doesnt look likely, we would still have to get through a play-off and that will be very hard. I just cant see it happening.

When the draw was made for Euro2008 with DE and CZ I thought straight away that we wouldnt get through. With Italy, we know that they can be a mixed bag in qualifying and usually make it difficult for themselves. That gives us some hope. Bulgaria are no great shakes, certainly less good than CZ. So there is a sliver of hope. But the so-called weaker teams in this group are anything but weak, and this is where we are likely to drop points. Bulgaria will drop points too, as will Italy, but probably less than us. We wont be 10 pts away from 2nd place, and 3rd place is more than doable. But 1st place is beyond us, and 2nd place most likely too.

All I hope for is that we do go down fighting and competing. Anything is possible but my gut feeling is saying that at 4:22pm on Sunday 25th November, we were already effectively knocked out of the world cup as the draw was made, bar the shouting.

The Greece-Israel group would have been so-so good to get, but alas it wasnt to be.

I would advise people not to book any tickets for South Africa yet, at least not in the hope of seeing Ireland playing there!

In terms of the draw being attractive to a new manager, I would doubt it. They will look at it and see Italy as being a cert and Bulgaria as tricky. Only a manager that will do it for the money, and El Tel probably would. He wont get a big club again (I dont think) so it does really suit him, and probably the FAI too. My criticism earlier of beinga car salesman was a bit harsh, Terry does know some football. I guess we would all be willing to give him a go. I'd say that he would be better than Paul Jewell anyway.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

DSB wrote: »
    We'll be favourites for 2nd place in this group .
    No way Jose. Bulgaria will be favourites for 2nd place in the group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

If we get our sh*t together we can qualify from this group.

If we don't get our **** together then the draw doesn't really make a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Pighead wrote: »
    No way Jose. Bulgaria will be favourites for 2nd place in the group.
    I'm an eternal optimist but unfortunately this time it looks like the final positions of the group will be the same as the starting positions with maybe us and Cyprus jostling for 3rd and 4th.

But hopefully the FAI appoint a manager that'll work miracles and qualify us for the World Cup. I won't hold my breath though!

I think the realistic goal is to get 2nd and get to a playoff. I think we can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

gosplan wrote: »
    If we get our sh*t together we can qualify from this group.

If we don't get our **** together then the draw doesn't really make a difference.

I think that sums it up. So many people seem either overly optimistic or pessimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I think the realistic goal is to get 2nd and get to a playoff. I think we can do that.

I would agree, if we get a decnet manager in who can get us playing some good football there is no reason why he cannot qualify, we have enough good players to do it.

Advertisement