Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Metallica World Tour 2008

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Drummer in Need

Can you see a band live to much??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Nope! Never! People think I'm seeing QOTSA too much, between December and February, but i know people going to more shows. But maybe yes in Metallica's case, cos they play pretty much the exact same thing every show!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭SxE Punk

You can when they're crap and boring.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

you'd need to ask red hot chilli pepper fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

If you have fun and enjoy all their gigs then no:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

domdom wrote: »
    well ive seen metallica the last 3 times in the rds and they were class. I was researching the dates and the rds calander of events and i noticed that metallicas lastest date annocued is the 8th of june Nurnberg, Germany. In the rds calender of events the 8th to the 11th are free and the 12th to the 14th is a confrence of some sort. Then then the 15th to the 27th are free.

If i had to put my money on a date for metallica to play rds it would be the 15th of june because they are probably gonna headline the 14th of june in download festival and they are strongly rumoured for that.

Just a thought i hope im right.

they've announced that they're doing a 2 part european tour,announced the last date of the first leg in madrid today. they may be heading back stateside for a month or so and then back to europe,download looks out but leeds & reading look good possibilities.

http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=600609

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

lord lucan wrote: »
    they've announced that they're doing a 2 part european tour,announced the last date of the first leg in madrid today. they may be heading back stateside for a month or so and then back to europe,download looks out but leeds & reading look good possibilities.

http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=600609

F**k Leeds n Reading. What about an Irish date???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭1408

I've seen them three times. I figure anyone in this country whos even a mild fan has seen them now at least once in the past 5 years. If they do play again it'd have to be a good support lineup, something like they did in Wembley Stadium last year. You'd want at least 2 bands worth paying to see headline alone and a third support act who you'd catch in the Ambassador, but is still too big to be doing the support slot theyre doing.

My dream line up....

Metallica
    Tool
    Machine Head
    Iced Earth

1408 wrote: »
    I've seen them three times. I figure anyone in this country whos even a mild fan has seen them now at least once in the past 5 years. If they do play again it'd have to be a good support lineup, something like they did in Wembley Stadium last year. You'd want at least 2 bands worth paying to see headline alone and a third support act who you'd catch in the Ambassador, but is still too big to be doing the support slot theyre doing.

My dream line up....

Metallica
    Tool
    Machine Head
    Iced Earth

Metallica n Tool on the same bill would be great. I saw Machine Head support Metallica last year in Wembley and wasnt that impressed with em....:mad: Kinda like Slayer - they keep releasing the same sort of album every time. Mind you, they weren't as bad as HIM!!! :eek: God, they were TERRIBLE!!!

Who's up for putting together a petition to bring Metallica to Slane Castle!!!???

If you are, just keep adding to this message.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Its unlikely, but f**k it.

Worth a shot. Metallica for Slane!:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭1408

Who's up for putting together a petition to bring Metallica to Slane Castle!!!???

If you are, just keep adding to this message.:D

That would be good. Personally I love Machine Head, have seen them twice and they are just a perfect example of a good band!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

saw em in 92 and 96, kind of lost a wee bit of interest in them after that, but i suppose i would like to see them live with rob trujillo, and as long as they didnt play any of that st anger muck....

BarryCreed wrote: »
    saw em in 92 and 96, kind of lost a wee bit of interest in them after that, but i suppose i would like to see them live with rob trujillo, and as long as they didnt play any of that st anger muck....

Rob Trujillo is brilliant. I cant wait to hear what kind of influence he brings to their songwriting...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

when you know all the pyro cue points, then yes.

as much as i loved metallica when i was 16, pairing them with tool would be akin to walking into arkansas saying "country music is for poofs" a bad idea.

i'd rather not share my tool gig with shaved ape metallica fans.

i'd rather not share my tool gig with shaved ape metallica fans.

vice versa for tool fans. i remember being at punchestown for ozzfest(the one ozzy didn't turn up for!!) and they had slayer on BEFORE tool. what an anti-climax to a gig. tool aren't my cup of tea obv. and i don't think there'd be enough crossover fans to warrent the 2 on the same bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Ah same for me, i was back there before i got into tool and slayer and bought the ticket primarily for ozzy(although there were another few i liked; drowning pool, american head charge and such) so it sucked major balls for me. Dunno how they avoided riots at that thing!!

very true,i was back in the car park where dublin bus had their bus' parked up about 30 mins into their set. wrong sort of band for the day given the rest of the line-up. it was like HIM being on the bill with metallica at wembley last summer,they got bottles/shoes/you name it thrown at them. was great entertainment mind you but again the wrong sort of band for the gig that it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Patricide wrote: »
    Dunno how they avoided riots at that thing!!

because more tool and less ozzy is always a good thing

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

from what ive heard is when metallica come over Alter Bridge are supporting them

alter bridge? never heard of them:eek:

edit:found them on wiki. new one on me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

i found this on fastfude.org.
    Metallica Glasgow Hampden Park : Mon 22 Sep
    Metallica Cardiff Milllenium: Tue 23 Sep
    Metallica Dublin National Stadium: Wed 24 Sep
    Metallica Belfast Odyssey Arena: Thu 25 Sep
    Metallica Birmingham NEC: Fri 26 Sep
    Metallica Manchester MEN : Sat 27 Sep
    Metallica Milton Keynes: Sun 28 Sep
    Metallica Wembley Stadium: Mon 29 Sep

when i 1st seen National Stadium i thought of the boxing arena and was like thats a huge mistake.:)

i found this on fastfude.org.

when i 1st seen National Stadium i thought of the boxing arena and was like thats a huge mistake.:)

Agreed. Those dates were posted on some site called "Scarlet Mist"(no, me neither!?), so I think they're *****??

It'll be held in either of those two places in South Dublin that we cannot name.

http://www.nationalstadium.ie/nationalstadium/Main/Facilities.htm

Edit: As you can see from that link, the indoor arena only holds 2080 people, so I think that's a no-no. I don't know how many the outdoor arena holds, or whether or not it still holds concerts?? I haven't been to one there since Bryan Adams waaaaaaaaaaay back when.

They are supposed to be playing Reading/Leeds festival, so my guess is they'll play around then, possibly Marlay Park. Would love to se them indoor though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Mushy wrote: »
    They are supposed to be playing Reading/Leeds festival, so my guess is they'll play around then, possibly Marlay Park. Would love to se them indoor though.

Speaking entirely to the nature of Marlay Park and not of the promoters of any concerts that will be held there, I can say that it would be a great venue to see Metallica in. I saw Oasis there a few years back, it was my first time in the venue and I was really impressed.

Also, it would be much better if they they played here towards the end of the summer (if they play here at all). The 2003 show that was in the RDS was on in our around August and it was dark by the time they were on stage, in comparision to the later shows that were on on the last weekend in June when it was bright til about 1030. I dont know if it's just me but the 2003 gig seemed a hell of a lot more intense just because it was dark. I suppose you experiece the lights and pyro effects that mush more but in general there something much better about seeing a band perform in the dark.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Speaking entirely to the nature of Marlay Park and not of the promoters of any concerts that will be held there, I can say that it would be a great venue to see Metallica in. I saw Oasis there a few years back, it was my first time in the venue and I was really impressed.

Also, it would be much better if they they played here towards the end of the summer (if they play here at all). The 2003 show that was in the RDS was on in our around August and it was dark by the time they were on stage, in comparision to the later shows that were on on the last weekend in June when it was bright til about 1030. I dont know if it's just me but the 2003 gig seemed a hell of a lot more intense just because it was dark. I suppose you experiece the lights and pyro effects that mush more but in general there something much better about seeing a band perform in the dark.

Yeah, I agree. I remember at Donington 95 Slayer played at about 2.30 in the afternoon!!!! They are not the kind of band you would think would play at that time of day.....!?

Metallica's shows work better at night because of the pyro stuff....

reading & leeds confirmed today,they reckon there's still a few more to announce so fingers crossed but given the lack of even a rumour around the city it doesn't look good.

http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=600747

there's a gap between switzerland on the 17th of august and leeds on the 22nd and there's no dates after the 24th either so it's anyones guess.:confused:

Mr.S wrote: »
    unless things have gone completely wrong, Metallica will be playing Marley Park for an August date.

Do you have sources????

:confused:

Mr.S wrote: »
    unless things have gone completely wrong, Metallica will be playing Marley Park for an August date.

Is it to be some sort of Download Ireland kinda thing, except with Reading/Leeds...kinda like Maiden last time(2005).

Can see them playing like the Wednesday in Marlay Park, assuming they do actually play there at all.

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »
    Is it to be some sort of Download Ireland kinda thing, except with Reading/Leeds...kinda like Maiden last time(2005).

Can see them playing like the Wednesday in Marlay Park, assuming they do actually play there at all.

Here's hoping they do a weekend gig here?? I was f****d after the last time they came here...........AND Guns N'Roses were on the same weekend.

I've just been looking at the line-up for Leeds/Reading and noticed Bullet For My Valentine are on the bill for one of the gigs.......I seriously hope that they aren't going to be one of the support bands over here!!?? :( Machine Head, I can handle, but NOT BFMV.

That name just screams EMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Looks like Marlay Park has already been booked for a gig in late August.......??

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/entertainment/the-killers-to-play-dublins-marlay-park-in-august-1331200.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement