Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lancer or carisma??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd say the Carisma, even though it's built in the Netherlands as a Volvo joint venture, it's bigger, more morern, more powerful and more comfortable than the Lancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭mac500

thanks colm

Make sure the timing belt and water pump has been changed on the Carisma if you do buy it.

will do, i hope to be having a mechanic with me when going looking at it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Had a Carisma in the family (still have until Jan actually).

It's not nearly as bad to drive as spoilt motoring journalists would have you believe. Handling is better than a Corolla of the same era, it is quiet and reasonably refined. Don't like the seats - they're a bit hard for my tastes but that's just a personal thing. O and it's been bang-on in terms of reliability.

Of course it's as bland as hell but a better buy than that Lancer IMO. Lancers are a favorite of boy racers as a basis for an Evo impersonator so I image they might be in slightly more demand and hence worse value. (Just a hunch, could be talking through my arse).

O and as the Carisma is based on a Volvo and slightly larger I reckon it's probably quite good in terms of crashworthiness. Read that somewhere I think...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I wouldn't buy either of them tbh, parts are expensive and resale is hopeless too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

pburns wrote: »
    O and as the Carisma is based on a Volvo and slightly larger I reckon it's probably quite good in terms of crashworthiness. Read that somewhere I think...
    IIRC the Carisma got 3 stars in EuroNCAP and was close to getting a 4th. Whereas the Lancer got 1.5 stars.

Poor resale is the reason that Carisma is that cheap. A similar Avensis or Passat would be much more expensive.

true about resale value but im not worried about that cos i prob wont be selling it, i'll keep it till is has to go to scrap yard.

as for parts, i realise they are expensive but how often will ya need em, not too often im sure (hope)

i used to drive a 96 lancer the old type and it served me very well for 3 years thats why i want to go back to a mitsubishi and they would be the 2 models im interested in but im liking the carisma more, in saying that ive never driven one before but if its anything like my old lancer or better it will do the finest.

Thanks for the comments guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

I'd go for the Carisma too although they can get expensive at NCT time if emissions need sorting. They can have quite an appetite for various sensors.

Also any Mitsubishi with "W" plates and high mileage you can assume has most probably been a hire car from new to about 60-70k. Then sold on to private buyers or sold cheap within the trade if they have had a colourful history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

junkyard wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy either of them tbh, parts are expensive and resale is hopeless too.

In fairness junkyard poor resale can only benefit the OP at this end of the market...

Jaypers, Im actually defending the Mitsubishi Carisma

:eek:

TomMc wrote: »
    I'd go for the Carisma too although they can get expensive at NCT time if emissions need sorting. They can have quite an appetite for various sensors.

Also any Mitsubishi with "W" plates and high mileage you can assume has most probably been a hire car from new to about 60-70k. Then sold on to private buyers or sold cheap within the trade if they have had a colourful history.

How long were these hire cars used? I thought only automatic cars were used for over a year by hire companies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Having bought two Galants from Boland's (Autos btw) they usually sold them after 2/3 years max or approx 60K (Miles). If they had a good life they would retail them on themselves when they come back from the hire co. If they had very minor work done they would pass them to Autoboland or B in Wexico, if a bit more bodywork repairs down the years, then the likes of Enniscorthy MC, T & C or John Kelly would sell them on instead. If more colourful again they usually were sold trade. Some would find their way to the big smoke for the back street city dealers. And I'd say mileage correction was a possibility on passing the red cow roundabout.

For the record Bolands run the Hertz franchise in Ireland and have a very large slice of the cake. Manuals, autos, the lot and Mitsubishi's were extremely popular on their fleets due to cheap retail price and bulletproof reliability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭pwee

I would buy da lancer. Da 1.3 engine is bullet proof. The 1.6 in da carisma is not.

pwee wrote: »
    I would buy da lancer. Da 1.3 engine is bullet proof. The 1.6 in da carisma is not.

It's the same engine that they use in the 1.6 Lancer!

Where'd you pull that out of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

junkyard wrote: »

What would you recommend in this class and price range?

Megane? ;)

Personally If I was the OP, I'd look at a Mazda 323 1.6 model (facelifted models get 1.6 option) these replaced the pre facelift 1.5 GLX (also worth a look). They usually have A/C and sunroof, ABS with TRC, remote CD player, fogs, sometimes have alloys, 4 electric windows and remote locking.

Shop around in January and you could pick up a 2002 model for around 5.5k.

They are super reliable, and not as pricey as a Corolla or Avensis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

tuxy wrote: »
    What would you recommend in this class and price range?

For that price range I'd buy the tidiest best looked after car of any make or model (perhaps avoiding the usual suspects).

Whether you buy a Carisma or Lancer is almost as important as to whether you buy your socks in Penneys or Debenhams...

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Have to agree with junkyard, I wouldn't buy either of them. If you are after a reliable japanese car in that class, buy a Honda Civic Saloon, absolutely bulletproof.

dont really want to get a civic, they are like asses everyone has one, and i know what yer gonna say, if everyone has them then thats saying something, yes i know they are very good cars but i just want something a bit different,

i only ever buy jap cars so its either mitsu or toyota, not a big fan of the mazdas, and i kind prefer mitsubishi over toyota cos ya get more extras in some models for cheaper price.

all that said i think im gonna go for the carisma :)

thanks to everyone for all the advice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

The only Mitsubishi I'd buy is a Galant tbh, I know it's a bigger engine but it's a well sorted car for the money and not too many around either. I'd recommend Honda too, in fact if you raise your sights a small bit to 1.8 or even 2.0 litre there's some serious value to be had. The Honda Accord is a nice car, under-rated by a mile and cheap as a result, I'd buy one and that's saying something. Even a Ford Mondeo is worth considering.
    AVOID: All Renaults, All Opels, All FIAT's, most VW's and any early Korean cars and you can't go too far wrong.;)

Advertisement