Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Noone ever talks about Stevie Finnan..

• 25-11-2007 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

Not a particularly serious topic or anything but its just a bit strange.

You never hear fellow players talking about him, his game or his character, not managers, journalists, pundits.

Even though he accidentily killed someone, is a champions league winner, champions league runner up, FA Cup winner, is apparantly the only player to have played in every English football league and Conference and surely one of the most decorated players in Irish football history there is little to no curiosity about him.

Noone ever writes articles about him either. You'd barely even see a thread about him on boards.ie:D Just weird. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

who did he kill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Good topic.

Great player, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

county wrote: »
    who did he kill?

Yes, who?

who did he kill?

He accidentally killed some guy when he collided with another car, if my memory serves me correctly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

who did he kill?

Someone stepped out in front of his car, or else it was a 2 car crash, cant quite remember. He was found innocent in the whole thing, just a tragic accident.

He gets a lot of credit from Pool fans anyway. I guess fullbacks dont really come into the news much. He keeps himself to himself as well, head down just gets on with his job. A great pro and the fact he doesn't get mentioned is just an extra mark of his professionalism.

<edit> was actually a pedestrian alright, an 81 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

He killed a pensioner while doing 60 in a 30 zone, overtaking a taxi on a dangerous stretch of road.

Police investigation was supposedly a shambles, they only looked into it after the pensioner later died of his injuries and by then the evidence was insufficient.

No charges were ever brought against him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Hes highly rated by Liverpool fans. Excellent player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Steve Finnan hit some old duffer who stepped off the pavement without looking if i recall rightly.

Anyway the reason no-one talks about him is cos Finnan is in fact the Jason Bourne of Interrnational Football. You don't see him and yet he's always there.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭hoolio

careful with the allegations man.

alledgedly...

hoolio wrote: »
    careful with the allegations man.

alledgedly...

LOL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

mike65 wrote: »
    Steve Finnan hit some old duffer
    FFS, so that's why Duffer is always injured.

Well done Stevie, well done.

DesF wrote: »
    FFS, so that's why Duffer is always injured.

Well done Stevie, well done.

And again...........LOL

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Steve Finnan hit some old duffer who stepped off the pavement without looking if i recall rightly.

This is a horribly disrespectful, and insensitive thing to say about the dead.

*shruggs* This thread is not a coroners court, its about Steve Finnan. And at 81 he was an old duffer.

Mike.

How the hell did you get a position as moderator?

*shruggs* This thread is not a coroners court, its about Steve Finnan. And at 81 he was an old duffer.

Mike.

Christ, are all 30,000 of your messages of this quality? Pretty poor form I must say.

And you two are who, exactly?

Mike.

Haha sorry your highness.

Here, I'll put my name after every single message to remind you.

justfortherecor

Hahahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Stevie Finnan, best right back in the PL. Fact. ;)

Ah I prefer Neville.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Top player. He should get alot of more praise IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Mike65 cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Christ, are all 30,000 of your messages of this quality? Pretty poor form I must say.

But your post false accusing finnan speeding when he killed someone is the the sort of quality we should be aiming for?

:rolleyes:

Its not exactly a false post. Its something he has no proof of. But something alot of people believe and have plenty of reason to believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

DSB wrote: »
    Its not exactly a false post. Its something he has no proof of. But something alot of people believe and have plenty of reason to believe.

Oh it's not false, he just has no proof what so ever. My bad. :rolleyes:

I bet he writes for the S*n with thinking like that.

But your post false accusing finnan speeding when he killed someone is the the sort of quality we should be aiming for?

:rolleyes:

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/4467238.stm

I reiterate that no charges were ever brought against Finnan and he was not guilty of any crime. My post was not meant to insinuate him as being guilty, just to provide an answer to the initial question of who he killed in the crash.

There was obviously some form of proof for it to be even brought in front of a court. Just because someone isn't found guilty doesn't mean they aren't. You know aswell as I do that there are many loopholes which people can get off on. Rich people with lawyers who have alot of money especially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Oh it's not false, he just has no proof what so ever. My bad. :rolleyes:

I bet he writes for the S*n with thinking like that.

You mean the Sun?

Finnan is like the Paul Scholes of right backs, gets on with his job, and plays consistently well. Although I do wonder, that if he was English, would he have had to do what Carragher did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

[Nazi]Next post that isn't about soccer or Finnan's playing career will see this thread closed and every participant banned for a week.[/Nazi]

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brethitmanhart

DSB, oh come on, now he's guilty even when proven innoccent....ffs.

Finnan has been immense the last couple of seasons, and I have no doubt that he is the best right back in the premiership.

One of the most underrated players in the world. Mr. Consistent, in the same mould as Denis Irwin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

While I don't think he was of Irwin's class, I think he is a top class right back. I think Rafa summed it up best one time, he said something like, Finnan will always play a 7 or 8 out of 10, other players will play sometimes 10 and sometimes 4 but Finnan will always play you 7 or 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Anytime I go on about Steve Finnan being quality my mates burst out laughing, but I've hardly ever seen him play a bad game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The mans a legend

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Here, I'll put my name after every single message to remind you.

justfortherecor

Quality

:D

Advertisement