Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about ram

Options
  • 25-11-2007 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

Hey guys myself and the bro are thinking of upgrading our ram in our Xps systems. What i would like to know is can we fit three 1gb sticks or do we have to fit four sticks each
    You see if we buy 3 packs of 2gb we save on shipping
    the reason were only going with 6gb is that vista 32bit onlys recognizes
    3gb.
    cheers guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

You can fit as many sticks as you want in, provided the slots are there

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

theres 4 slots so i can fill 3 of them with 1gb sticks each with no issues then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

No.....if you have existing RAM it will need to be the same speed, as if it is higher it will only perform to speed of existing ram

otherwise its grand

the existing ram will be removed and replaced with the new three 1gb sticks so 1 slot will be free will this do?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

the existing ram will be removed and replaced with the new three 1gb sticks so 1 slot will be free will this do?

Yep.

go to the crucial site & run the scan. It will give you all the details on your system including what's compatible etc.
    www.crucial.com

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Check shop4memory.com also, they have a configurator too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Got 2x1GB Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 to replace the stand 2GB in my XPS 720 H2C made a fair difference. Make sure to keep the old Ram though should you have to send the PC back for any reason.

Cheers guys so 2gb is enough would 4gb be overkill?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

well. you can never have enough RAM.

The issue with Windows 32 Bit seeing only 2GB can be tweaked using the 3GB Switch option which will see the 4GB.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx

Here's a snap of My XP Pro system with 4GB installed & using the 3GB Switch.

3gbswitchid0.jpg
    -

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
Advertisement