Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I want to buy a Porsche...

Options
  • 25-11-2007 10:46pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've decided for my next car I want a Porsche... I was originally thinking of getting a Boxter S, but then I considered the possibility of getting an old 911.

I know that buying a car like this will be expensive, but I want to get a better idea of how much exactly they cost to run and service etc. Insurance is not a problem, Tax will be €1,343. I assume they will be thirsty, but what about servicing, anyone know how much it might be?

The kind of car I'm considering is:
    http://www.cbg.ie/Cardetail.aspx?CBGID=658736&ID=949832&NumPics=3&Make=Porsche&Model=911%20Carerra&frmFilter=

Or I could get a classic, like this: http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=711702 and it would cost me a lot less on tax etc

I'm still very undecided and have a lot of research still to do, but would appreciate any advice you guys may have... At the end of the day for the same money I could get an M3, but there is just something about having a 911....

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Old school 911 will be best, I would imagine servicing would be expensive but if you look after it then you will be fine. Best bet is to look on Porsche forums for Ireland and see if you can find out more details on prices and servicing cost etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 watchinpaintdry

No idea about the running costs and that, but look into buying one from Japan if you're serious about it. I know someone who's gotten a couple of 911 turbos from auction and made big savings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 smartypantz

History, history, history! Make sure your potential purchase has lots of it! Avoid paperless "bargains".
    Unless you know these cars, have it professionally inspected.

I've had my 964 now for over 10 years, though these days its only gets summer use.

You're right to do lots of research. I had "The Used 911 Story" by Peter Zimmermann (then in 5th ed.) and was a member of the British Porsche Club for a couple of years before buying!

Take a look at the Irish Porsche Club (http://www.porsche-club-ireland.ie). Members are very friendly and helpful.

IMHO of the cars you've linked above, the 930 is *not* for the faint of heart in terms of performance, handling and cost! :eek:
    The 993 has UK plates, which means it would be subject to VRT (unless already registered in ROI).

At the end of the day. Its your cash, you gotta make the final descision.
    Porsche is an excellent marque, owners are always enthusiastic about their cars!

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You've a couple of years yet until the dreaded deadline ;)

Continue your research! Also listen to some very experienced people that gave you advice earlier on the classic cars forum here on boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

In was up in Kells talking to Robert Furley (mechanic), and he has a few 911's in at the moment. Talking to him, its clear that 911 engines are a pain to work with as there is very little access in the back, so much so, that for certain small jobs the whole engine has to be dropped out of the bottom. I have heard of standard servicing costs at main dealers costing 1000 euro and up.

He has a red one in at the moment from the mid eighties badly smashed up. I reckon someone power slid it off the road. They can be tricky to control apparently.

Advertisement