Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How secure is mobile broadband.

Options
  • 26-11-2007 2:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how secure mobile BB is when accessing internet banking/Paypal etc V's fixed line BB.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The weak part is any Trojans etc you may have installed yourself. Currently Mobile Internet via 3G/HSDPA or Digiweb Mobile is as secure as DSL.

I don't know what security model the Nomadic Clearwire and IBB Ripwave use.

Most Wireless services and Cable BB use separate upstream and downstream frequencies (Unlike WiFi), the modems thus can't be used to "overhear" other connections.

The "on air" interface is sufficently complex that the required hardware to evesdrop is a cut-down modified basestation. Then having (with some serious expense and huge technical expertise) got access to the data, you have to decrypt it. Even for GPRS and EDGE, the on air encryption is separate to GSM voice encryption (cracked). 14K GSM data might not be encrypted.

Then your website for money transactions should be SSL, i.e. an HTTPS page (PayPal is), using another layer of encryption, even if you got past all the considerable hurdles above.

I think I would use simpler methods such as carefully crafted email with your real name and convincing details (helped greatly by bebo/myface/facebook etc) leading to a fake web page with HTTPS that steals it.

Or a nice helpful website with free really useful toolbar. Then I would redirect DNS to the fake web site when you access the real one and pass through all the info so you do the real transactions on the real site, but everything is copied.

Your AV sw and even scam/anti-phising SW is useless if I do it correctly.

1) Never install extra browser toolbars. Get rid even of the Yahoo/MSN/Google ones. You don't need them.
    2) Never click and install SW on spur of moment, only SW you went looking for.
    3) AV & Firewall does not protect you from social engineered attacks. Common sense does.
    4) Don't beleive emails. A fake attack is as likely to have a real friend's from address as not.
    5) Education is almost 100% effictive against Trojans, worms, viruses, Malware & adware. AV will 100% definately fail within months if you ignore common sense and education.
    6) A Separate Firewall is good, but only protects against external intrusion, not stuff you open in emails or click on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Cheers Watty, excellent detailed reply. You have put my mind at ease. I am the kind of person who has been know to delete friends e-mails when not 100% sure of their origin, I reckon if it is really important they will ring me anyway. I also always check that any site I give sensitive info to (paypal/bank) is SSL protected.

Advertisement