Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Album of the Week #16 - Pearl Jam - Ten

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Best album of all time IMO. Every song is great, especially Black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Might wanna change the video...its unavailable.

In other news (about this), YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! Its finally up here. 16 weeks, dear god its been too long. What an album. Oh how I'm so happy that I was bored one day and just bought this album. Once is such a great intro song, the running order is great. Garden and Porch are great tracks IMO, alongside the well known ones (Even Flow, Jeremy, Black, Alive). Definately one of the greatest albums of all times, from one of the best bands around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Brilliant album. Haven't listened to it in ages, though. They've kinda lost the plot since then. I only got back into them with the latest album, which is quite good.

The album that turned off em was "Vitalogy"......what a stinker!!

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

ah memories of the video Even Flow being played by Ian Dempsey on the Sunday morning Beat Box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I'm delighted that this album has finally got this accolade. God, I tried for weeks! It really is this album that impresses more than the group, because I have heard various tracks by Pearl Jam from other albums and they just did not stand out in the same way. I heard their fourth release from 1996 on Phantom last night and I was underwhelmed by it and, in fact, feel asleep!

Overall, from what I've heard (and admittedly there's lot of Pearl Jam material I'm not familiar with), I believe Nirvana were better than Pearl Jam at the grunge sound. I have three albums by Nirvana : Nevermind, In Utero and Unplugged in New York.

Why am I damning Pearl Jam with faint praise, you may ask? The reason is that it is that bit more impressive that Ten is such a great album, given my reservations about the group's general output. The performances on Ten are just outstanding and the sound is pretty unique. It is like one moment in time when everything came together just right to create a masterpiece in workmanship.

Incidentally, just to finish on a positive note, I remember seeing a programme on BBC2 in the early 90's entitled "No Nirvana", which was part of the arts series called "The Late Show". This programme featured happening indie acts of that time peforming live in studio for the BBC. Apart from R.E.M., who did a great acoustic version of "Half A World Away", the acts would not have been very well-known. Amongst them was Pearl Jam who did a great live electric energetic version of "Alive". I would recommend anyone to look out for that, and indeed check out the other performances on that program.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭spaceboy

yes about time ;)
    one of the best rock albums of all time by one of the best rock bands of all time,every song on the album is a classic,& eddie vedder influenced a whole generation of vocalists with his performance on this album.
    A well deserved album of the week ,hail hail Pearl Jam :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

The album that turned off em was "Vitalogy"......what a stinker!!

:eek:

boo hiss, any album containing the like of nothingman, corduroy, betterman and immortality ain't half bad ;)

anyways this is a fantastic record, never got the recognition it deserves outside the USA where it outsold Nevermind by nearly 2 million. one of my favourite albums of the 1990s, black is just an amazing song

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

About time this is album of the week. Took long enough but it was worth the wait. Incredible from start to finish and I was lucky enough to see the songs played last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

has anyone got that 7 cd live concert on cd savage stuff. Saw it on my hols down south for 39.99. havent been able to see it in the shops here. well worth it 3 concerts. alltogether 3cds from 96 i think and the rest are more recent 2002-2006. Havent seen them since the time they played the point around 98-99. was sold out the last time i wanted to go. Black is a great song and jeremy who could forget the lyrics of that song. brings back auld memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

An album which I loved at first but have grown fairly indifferent to over the years. The real classics on it, Alive, Evenflow, Jeremy have kinda been played to death. Oceans is about the only song on it I have any kind of hankering for these days.

The b-sides from this era are definitely worth investigating. Footsteps, Yellow Leadbetter and Wash. Good stuff.

There was talk of having Ten remastered and stripping all the gnarly guitar effects from it to give it a cleaner sound. As it stands a lot of the guitar on the album is really draped in the stuff. Would be interested to see the results of that. But as it stands, yeah, a good album but a little too teenage angsty all told (Vitalogy is a classic though).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

villains77 wrote: »
    has anyone got that 7 cd live concert on cd savage stuff. Saw it on my hols down south for 39.99. havent been able to see it in the shops here. well worth it 3 concerts. alltogether 3cds from 96 i think and the rest are more recent 2002-2006. Havent seen them since the time they played the point around 98-99. was sold out the last time i wanted to go. Black is a great song and jeremy who could forget the lyrics of that song. brings back auld memories.

The Live At The Gorge box set? yeah I have, well worth it too. You can get it pretty reasonably priced online.

Ten is a fantastic album, one that really does deserve the praise it gets. Though, IMO the best songs on it are the ones that rarely get mentioned like Porch, Why Go and Once.

And Vitalogy rocks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

rossie1977 wrote: »
    boo hiss, any album containing the like of nothingman, corduroy, betterman and immortality ain't half bad ;)

anyways this is a fantastic record, never got the recognition it deserves outside the USA where it outsold Nevermind by nearly 2 million. one of my favourite albums of the 1990s, black is just an amazing song

Granted, they are good songs, but the rest of the album is just UUGH!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

And if anyone doesn't already have this album it can be picked up in HMV as part of their 3 for €15 deal at the moment. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

This album, literally, changed my life. Yes it sounds cheesy, but it had a huge impact on me. Pearl Jam as a band made a huge impact.

About time it was album of the week. Fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

pearl jams ten album is still as good now as it was back then when i first bought it. One of the good grunge bands form the era that are still going strong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Timans wrote: »
    This album, literally, changed my life. Yes it sounds cheesy, but it had a huge impact on me. Pearl Jam as a band made a huge impact.

About time it was album of the week. Fantastic.

Cheesy? That's maybe a bit harsh. It's a quality album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

IMO the strongest debut album by any band ever.

Absolute quality!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I definitely think this was Pearl Jam's finest hour, just a pity it was only their first album, ha. They were brilliant in The Point last year, I had been too young to go the last time before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

The best songs on vitalogy are better than the best songs on Ten but Ten is a better album overall if you know what I mean

Earthhorse wrote: »
    An album which I loved at first but have grown fairly indifferent to over the years. The real classics on it, Alive, Evenflow, Jeremy have kinda been played to death. Oceans is about the only song on it I have any kind of hankering for these days.

The b-sides from this era are definitely worth investigating. Footsteps, Yellow Leadbetter and Wash. Good stuff.

There was talk of having Ten remastered and stripping all the gnarly guitar effects from it to give it a cleaner sound. As it stands a lot of the guitar on the album is really draped in the stuff. Would be interested to see the results of that. But as it stands, yeah, a good album but a little too teenage angsty all told (Vitalogy is a classic though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Their best Album. However, it does not contain their best song not for you

• Advertisement
Advertisement