Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student needs to buy a suit on a budget

Options
  • 26-11-2007 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭

Have no idea where to look thinking of River Island, never wore one before no ideas what to look for, but have to buy it today,
    any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Try as many secondhand shops you can in and around the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

If your ona budget Pennys is your best bet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Top man do reasonable suits. Does it have to be a suit? Sometimes a blazer and nice pair of cacks and a decent shirt and tie can work...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Try Mark's and sparks for a suit (esp if it's for an interview) - still have mine from 1999. I only ever wear it for interviews and funerals, thankfully not too much of either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

My brother got an Armani suit in a charity shop - they are out there to be found.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Depends on what you mean by budget,how much or little do you want to spend...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Bests have a big suit sale on at the moment. I've never bought from them but I've heard good things..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

spurious wrote: »
    My brother got an Armani suit in a charity shop - they are out there to be found.

Yep a friend got a christian dior suit in a charity shop at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

TK-Max is your best bet. Great reductions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

There's always Guineys (I think, havent been there for years) or Arnotts Bargain basement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

You'll get a nice suit pants and jacket in Pennys for €35. All you need then is a shirt and tie, which you surely have, if not you'll get one in Pennys for €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

pennys suits? dont want to be snobby but the quality of their clothes are a bit **** now, at least for a suit??! get into m&s - you'll pick up a cheap suit for less about 80/90 if my memory serves me correctly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

What's Ben Sherman and Ted Baker like quality wise? Going for 100-120 in TK-Max. Reduced from 500 some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Ted Baker are top quality, my bro has a couple and they are about £370stg in the sales in the Ted Baker shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

dogmatix wrote: »
    Try Mark's and sparks for a suit (esp if it's for an interview) - still have mine from 1999. I only ever wear it for interviews and funerals, thankfully not too much of either.

1999??? some bargin LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Opps - let me rephrase that! I got it in 1999 for about 100 punts.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

M&S are selling suits for E75 at the moment and they're decent quality. Should be enough to get you started. If that's too expensive, then you could try Penneys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Best menswear in liffey valley having a closing down sale. Suits 55-70ish

Check them out or M&S do good suites for 70e

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

RedorDead wrote: »
    Best menswear in liffey valley having a closing down sale. Suits 55-70ish

Check them out or M&S do good suites for 70e

Whats the quality like...?sure you cant get a decent shirt for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Ideo wrote: »
    pennys suits? dont want to be snobby but the quality of their clothes are a bit **** now, at least for a suit??! get into m&s - you'll pick up a cheap suit for less about 80/90 if my memory serves me correctly

Actually, those suits are actually very good quality, not bad looking either. I was disgusted when I first saw them because they look like an exact copy of my suit for all occasions. And I definitely didn't spend €40 on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

Dub13 wrote: »
    Whats the quality like...?sure you cant get a decent shirt for that price.

Youll get a decent shirt and tie set in DUnnes for €10. Good selection in the new DUnnes on Henry St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

there is a shop in the ilac centre called aqua that have decent suits at good prices

Advertisement