Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning Gears

Options
  • 26-11-2007 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Just noticed at weekend the back cassette was full of grime and needed to be cleaned. Ashamed to say that I didnt realise it was that bad. What is the best way to clean it - I can never seem to be able to get it completely clean especially betwwen the cogs. Would it be easier to take off the cassette to clean it and is that a difficult job.
    What does everyone else do ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭opelmanta

took mine apart and cleaned them up good but can be tricky. another way would be some wd40 and them cotton bud thingys

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Take it off is the best way. You will need a cassette removal tool and a chain whip but its worth making the investment. Once off, head into your local bike store and ask for degreaser, spray it on, rub it off and behold your magnificant new looking cassette ! Costs about 30 quid for the tools from BBB (Most bike shops do them), but worth the investment. Keep your drivetrain clean and it lasts an awful lot longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

If you don't have the tools to remove it, you can take a cloth and grab it tightly at two ends and stretch it so that it can slip into the gap between the cogs. Then slide the cloth to the left and then to the right. If you are doing it correctly, the cloth should clean as you move to the right, and then when you slide it to the left, the freewheel should move so that a new part comes in contact with the cloth and then gets cleaned as you slide the cloth to the right again. This will get all the gunk out. It will also clean the cassette, but not as good as actually taking it apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Take it off is the best way. You will need a cassette removal tool and a chain whip but its worth making the investment. Once off, head into your local bike store and ask for degreaser, spray it on, rub it off and behold your magnificant new looking cassette ! Costs about 30 quid for the tools from BBB (Most bike shops do them), but worth the investment. Keep your drivetrain clean and it lasts an awful lot longer.

Just after being on the chainreaction website, I found a chain whip but not a cassette removal tool. Is it called something else by any chance.

I think a lock ring is what you want.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7213
    make sure to get one that suits your cassette

• Advertisement

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=48
    FYI, this shows you how to use the whip and lock ring. (Sounds kinda naughty)

It's very easy to do.

P

Raam wrote: »
    I think a lock ring is what you want.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7213
    make sure to get one that suits your cassette

I have a Trek road bike with a Shimano Ultegra cassette - will this lock ring fit or is it for a mountain bike.

I have a Trek road bike with a Shimano Ultegra cassette - will this lock ring fit or is it for a mountain bike.

It should fit OK: http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=4&item=FR-5

Raam wrote: »

Thanks for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

A can of brake cleaner or carb cleaner or Jizer would be better than wd40 , should be able to get any of them from a motorfactors /halfords etc . The aerosols should be cheap they're just solvent in a can

http://www.autobarn.net/gunbrakclean.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I use GUNK. It's available from Halfords. Use a paint brush to apply it and then just hose it off with water. Result is a spotless cassette and I don't think it's absolutely necessary to remove the cassette to do this.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    I use GUNK. It's available from Halfords. Use a paint brush to apply it and then just hose it off with water. Result is a spotless cassette and I don't think it's absolutely necessary to remove the cassette to do this.

Herm,
    Can you buy this online as I dont leave anywhere near Halfords I think. Where are they situated in dublin. What is the trade name of "gunk"

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 108 ✭✭conor rowan

ive been using baby wipes with the back and forth technique-leaving the cassete on and removing the wheel. i use drop on lubrıcant afterwards.
    will the baby wipes be doıng any damage does anyone know? cos theyre pretty good and cheap for gettıng grease off the bike and fingers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Wheelworx

will the baby wipes be doıng any damage does anyone know?

Only if you use them on a baby afterwards........;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I use one of these to clean the chain, which actually does work pretty well, you just attach it and spin the pedals backwards until the chain is clean. White Sprit in it has been effective- any drawbacks, or anything better?

I have one of these for getting gunk out of the cassette; a brush is also available. All dirt cheap too and PBK do free delivery to Ireland.

I do have an SRAM PowerLink on my chain so might give that a go chain-removal wise if I can figure it out, but the chain cleaner gizmo above really does work well. One thing I found is you will want to lube the chain back up immediately or you will get rust.

Thanks for all the advice guys - appreciate it.
    I think I have spent too long relying on a bike shop for these type of jobs, much better to be able to do it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

In my experience there aren't many bike shops that tend to do cleaning in any case (IIRC there are a few "bike valet" options) - I try to give my bike a good clean before dropping it in for any adjustments; get a better result from the shop that way.

I asked Little Sport to give my drive train a clean when I had the bike in for service, and they did. The frame is easy to clean yourself, all you need is a rag and maybe a spot of degreaser for those really stubborn spots (I sound like that lad on those Flash ads now)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

This is a link to the GUNK website - www.gunk.eu
    I also think you can order GUNK online from Halfords - www.halfords.com

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement