Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

TDI tuning boxes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Hi Paul, I bought one and fitted it for my dads skoda superb about 3 months ago, I have to say it did give a good noticeable performance increase on acceleration, the blurb with the chip said it would also improve fuel economy under normal driving conditions but i cannot verify that as I dont drive the car day-to-day.

I bought mine from a german ebayer and Il go through my ebay history now and see if i can find his store, il post back if I can. any questions just ask...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Thanks for the quck reply tw0nk, it seems that they do work by the sounds of things then... Do you mind me asking how much your dads one was? Easy to fit etc? I'll be getting this for a 90BHP 1.9 TDI passat, so it should be a pretty similar job.

If you could get the link for the ebay shop that would be great.

Thanks again,

Paul

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

All these boxes do is increase the pressure from your fuel pump. They're not the best imo.

If you want increased bhp, the best solution is an ecu remap. There's plenty of reading material around on this too btw :) Around €450.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

I have a tuning box that I believe was sold by Westward tuning, its an "original tuning box model DH15" from www.tuningbox.com.

Its a plug and play model, very easy to install. I got mine in march and saw an instant difference. I have a MK3 Golf TDI 90bhp, as far fuel econony goes I don't think it made it any worse (i installed it about 2 weeks after getting the car). I also told my insurance company (Hibernan) who made a note on my policy but made no difference on my premium. (I nenewed my policy got the figure and then told the guy that I had a tuning box, he asked whats the current bhp (about 110ish) and he said fine just as long as I declared it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

I put one in a 98 Passat 1.9Tdi 90bhp about 5 years ago. I thought it was the business. Fuel consumption improved and there was a lot more power. I think it says that they increase it to 105bhp but I heard elswhere that it can be up to 115bhp.
    It certainly tranformed my car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

All these boxes do is increase the pressure from your fuel pump. They're not the best imo.

If you want increased bhp, the best solution is an ecu remap. There's plenty of reading material around on this too btw :) Around €450.

I tried to get mine remapped but nobady would touch it as it was too old, so I went down the tuning box route, these are different from the cheaper versions on ebay, so far no problems (touch wood :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Cheers for the replies lads, it seems like a pretty good idea to me from ye're experiances... no one seems to have had any trouble with them.

tw0nk if you get time at some stage to post the ebay shop you bought from i would appreciate it.

Thanks all for your responses,

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

you plug that particular style of tunning box into the fuel temp sender and all it does is trick the car into thinking the diesel is colder than it is so it injects more its nothing more than a resistor.

The style of tunning boxes sold by westward etc are more complicated and change simple settings such as boost etc

For a proper increase and tune it can only be a remap,i had a similar tuning box,sure it makes it faster with an initial surge of power but it doesnt pull all the way,i took it out and got a remap the difference was plain to see,smooth delivery all the way to the limit(if you wish) i got it rolling roaded in westward and it was one of the smoothest power bands id ever seen.

I was also left with a faultly fuel temp sender as a result of the tuninng box.

Advertisement