Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf Mark 4 burning oil

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

woop wrote: »
    was running on three cylinders mate-hence less powere and the vibration- not balanced

theres a few reasons for a wet spark plug-however if its oil Id say shes fairly buggered
    if its the 98 type ones I heard of valves dropping- this allows oil into where the petrol is combusted
    also perished valve stem oil seals allow oil into the cylinder
    Id say a combination of both in youre case started with the seal then the valve
    this just happens from simple wear on the rubber seals

worn piston rings also cause oil to be let into the cylinder from the crankcase and generally its worth getting a new engine in this case also

but if he thinks its bad enough for a new engine
    get someone else for a second opinion and if youre that curious get him to pull it apart

Hi, you r exactly right it was a 1998 model, and it could very likely be that what you just told me, because it was burning a lot of oil. I would drive for around 100 miles in a week and every 10 days i had to refill the oil, because it would go from max down to min in that short period.
    It s a good thing i don't have that car anymore, luckily i got rid of it after 10 days, i trade it in, in the garage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Bobo78 wrote: »
    Hi, you r exactly right it was a 1998 model, and it could very likely be that what you just told me, because it was burning a lot of oil. I would drive for around 100 miles in a week and every 10 days i had to refill the oil, because it would go from max down to min in that short period.
    It s a good thing i don't have that car anymore, luckily i got rid of it after 10 days, i trade it in, in the garage.

Similar story on a 97.

Exhaust studs pulled away from the head many times. Replacement head to fix properly.

I drove it till the engine lost compression.
    Engine can be picked up for not majour money its the labour that will kill you.

Similar story on a 97.

Exhaust studs pulled away from the head many times. Replacement head to fix properly.

I drove it till the engine lost compression.
    Engine can be picked up for not majour money its the labour that will kill you.

Yeah i was quoted 350 for the engine and 500 for the labour, which was a bit too much for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Forget about a VW and buy a decent brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

groupb wrote: »
    Forget about a VW and buy a decent brand.
    Buy a focus;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Fookin horror stories about VW reliability.. I've a 95 primera pushing near 190,000miles and she doesn't burn a drop of oil. I try to give here a change every 5000 or so at this stage but she used to get every 10000.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Am I the only golf owner on this forum without oil problems?
    Mine's a 96 with near 140 on the clock and I never need to add oil beteen services.
    Just lucky I guess :)

Am I the only golf owner on this forum without oil problems?
    Mine's a 96 with near 140 on the clock and I never need to add oil beteen services.
    Just lucky I guess :)

I d say it s becouse your Golf is older model and has a different engine (older design), which is suppose to be more reliable.

Correct me if I m wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

03 Golf TDI and no problems

The amount of threads where someone chirps in with some VW bashing is ridiculous. Most of the alfa bashing has stopped and all the grumpy old codgers have moved to bashing VW. Give it a rest tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

+1

IMO Golf Mk4 GTi's and Tdi's are generally reliable cars, they have been sold in huge numbers with low failure rates. Their engines perform well and are economical. What more can you ask?

the 1.4 is a pup tho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Panzer

The Oil light came on on my new girlfriends car last night I asked her when she topped it up and she said a couple of months ago so I told her she mustn't of read the dip stick properly because my Audi never needs topping up from one yearly Oil service to the next and it took a fair bit of Oil so I slagged her off again for not doing it properly then checked online for Oil consumption figures and was very surprised at all your comments her Car is a 2002 with 53 K on the clock, Burning that much Oil at that mileage ain't the VW quality that made you buy a VW in the first place.

Now I really like Golfs and her Car feels great but the passenger electric window hasn't worked for a year and VW want £250 plus VAT to fix it but I accidentally pressed the switch and it shot right down and fell into the bottom of the door so I had to investigate and it had broke the clips and looked a real bugger of a job to fix even if I had the parts, I hadn't seen behind a door panel like that before so I shored it up with two pieces of timber and told her I just saved her £250 plus. Now again checking on the internet I found many hits about the electric windows on Golfs going haywire (A very common fault on this model) but I also spotted people saying VW are repairing them as a warranty item and replacing the parts with updated parts free of charge on cars as old as 2002 and sure enough when she phoned up they tried to make her pay till she told the service desk what I had seen on the internet and they took her Car in and fixed it FOC, so good on VW for that.

I was gonna buy a Mercedes Vito Van for my motorbikes and sleeping in but they were getting slagged off left right and centre with rust coming through on them pretty quick too and then you have Jeremy Clarkson saying Mercedes Cars are down in quality and now VW's are down in quality, whats bloody happening to the Germans ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Panzer wrote: »
    I was gonna buy a Mercedes Vito Van for my motorbikes and sleeping in but they were getting slagged off left right and centre with rust coming through on them pretty quick too and then you have Jeremy Clarkson saying Mercedes Cars are down in quality and now VW's are down in quality, whats bloody happening to the Germans ?

Pick any one car, and some one will have something bad to say about it. Although they have gone a bit crappy lately lol. Old thread btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Panzer

Pick any one car, and some one will have something bad to say about it. Although they have gone a bit crappy lately lol. Old thread btw.

Yes I know its an old thread I was just grateful for the info I gleaned from it and thought i'd pass on the electric window problem and VW fixing a fault foc on a 6 year old car.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Feel free to start a new thread about your issue, Panzer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement