Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning off water to the house

Options
  • 26-11-2007 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

Hey, I have a leaky water shut off valve I need to replace in the house. But there is still pressure coming from the water in the pipe. How can I turn off the water in the house?

The valve is something like this, only not attached to a mans face :D
    http://www.valvesoftware.com/img/valve_head2.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Where is it leaking from?
    Is it where the pipe enters the valve (either end) or is it leaking around the actual red tap?
    In either case you should be able to tighten the relevant nut and seal it up a bit. (I just had to tighten the nut around the tap in my hotpress yesterday :) )

If this doesnt fix it then isolating it totally depends on what pipe the tap is on?
    Is it mains or somewhere else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

GreeBo wrote: »
    Is it where the pipe enters the valve (either end) or is it leaking around the actual red tap?
    In either case you should be able to tighten the relevant nut and seal it up a bit. (I just had to tighten the nut around the tap in my hotpress yesterday :) )

If this doesnt fix it then isolating it totally depends on what pipe the tap is on?
    Is it mains or somewhere else?

Its actually leaking from the red tap. I was thinking of tightening the nuts, but the leak comes out from the bar attaching the tap to the pipe, so I dont think I can tighten that can I? I tought it was a pipe for the hot water to run upstairs, so I tied up the stop cock in the attic, and drained the tank so there was not water in the hot taps, it still had pressurised water come out of it when I tried to change it however.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Can you not turn the mains water supply off from the stop valve out on the street? You'll probably need the correct tool which you can probably get from most decent hardware stores/plumbing suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

oxygen wrote: »
    Its actually leaking from the red tap. I was thinking of tightening the nuts, but the leak comes out from the bar attaching the tap to the pipe, so I dont think I can tighten that can I? I tought it was a pipe for the hot water to run upstairs, so I tied up the stop cock in the attic, and drained the tank so there was not water in the hot taps, it still had pressurised water come out of it when I tried to change it however.

Yes there should be a smaller nut there, just tighten enough to stop the drip. The more you tighten it, the harder the tap will be to turn, tighten it too much you won't be able to turn the tap on/off.

Chrs guys, Ill try cormacs suggestion first, if that doesnt work Ill have to try crosstownk's suggestion, which sounds a bit trickier

• Advertisement

yep as cormac says, there is a nut there.
    If it was on tight to begin with it can stick and then someone using the valve can loosen it.

Thx a mill for that Cormac, that nut closed off the leak completly, talk about finding the easy way out!

oxygen wrote:
    Thx a mill for that Cormac, that nut closed off the leak completly, talk about finding the easy way out!
    GreeBo wrote: »

Ohh harsh. :eek:
    Glad its fixed.

Advertisement