Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Billy Davies sacked

• 26-11-2007 11:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

Anybody surprised ? Could anybody have done any better :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

thats a joke

i dont know what some chairmen expect, he got them promoted years earlier than he should have.

loojk at watford. When they came up, it was a year too early, but the kept faith with boothroyd. they are now well clear at the top, and the experience of the premiership will stand to them when they come up next year.

same could be done with Derby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'm not surprised tbh.

I was surprised to hear him say earlier in the season, before they played Liverpool, that he had told his players that their season didn't start until after that game.

wtf kind of attitude is that to have?

No-one could have done any better with that squad imo. Certs for relegation, no matter who they get, no manager will keep that side up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

ye, not much gratitude now, get them promoted then after 3 months, bye bye
    As said above nobody will keep this lot up unless a multi billionaire chairman comes to club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So vacancies at Brum and Derby, McClaren for one of them I bet.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

DesF wrote: »
    I was surprised to hear him say earlier in the season, before they played Liverpool, that he had told his players that their season didn't start until after that game.

wtf kind of attitude is that to have?

hang on Des, me and you head a discussion before where i gave out about relegation zone teams who do exactly that and you defended them (if my memory serves)
    :p

stupid decision, no manager could have done much better with them to be honest. now it means they get relegated and start from scratch again, if they kept Davies on i think it would have been a lot better for the promotion prospects.

• Advertisement

Are you sure?

No way, I made the same point about Davies when I heard him on Soccer Saturday saying that claptrap.

It was the morning before they played Liverpool.

Hmm, can you find the link to what you are talking about, if you are arsed that is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

That's a stupid ****ing joke of a decision, really pisses me off.
    He had no right to get them promoted, and did so through incredible management. If he hadn't got them promoted, he would still have his job right now.
    They have parachute payments for when they go down, they haven't spend a penny in reality, and they are in great shape to build towards staying in the premiership in the near future. Shocking decision.

22/23 managers sacked so far in the 4 divisions.

I wonder how many changes have had a positive effect?

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Seriously like, what is the point of these decisions? The minute they came up, everyone knew they were going back down, with extra money in the coffers and plenty of experience gained so the could go about getting back up in a stronger position like watford are doing and charlton did in the past. Firing a manager for not doing something which nobody could have done is just ridiculous. Would have been much better off saying this year they were to do the best they could but that the manager had full backing should the expected happen so they could just get on with their jobs without all the nonsense of speculation etc. To make matters worse they were very unlucky at the weekend, Miller being onside at 1-0 with loads of time in a 1 on 1, but ruled offside, and then a terrible challenge by Sheva before chelsea's second. Had Millers goal stood could have been different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Delighted he's sacked. Never liked his attitude at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

stupid decision by Derby i reckon.
    They gave davies at the start of his tenure with them the goal of getting to the premiership in 3 years....he done it in 1
    Compare the amount of money he has recieved from them to the money the likes of Roy keane has spent at sunderland and it might give the board a little more idea of whats went wrong here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Just goes to show the pressure that managers are under. Davies is a very good boss and I don't understand the reasoning behind this decision at all. Fair enough they've been hammered on numerous occasions but if you aren't prepared to invest in the team then you can't go blaming the manager.

Just goes to show the jump from Championship to Premiership is huge, and it takes a great manager to make it on a small budget, a la Jewell and Coppell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Did they expect a result from the Chelsea game or something :confused:

Next game is against Sunderland, that would have given them a fair chance to get a win and regroup.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

event wrote: »

i dont know what some chairmen expect, he got them promoted years earlier than he should have.

Isn't that the problem tho? It's almost a waste of time getting promoted until you have assembled (or can assemble) a squad that will at least give a good go of staying in the Prem? Derby are possibly the worst team ever (bar maybe Sunderland) to compete in the premiership.

Chairman - "Well done winning the play-off Billy, but we're going to refuse the promotion as we're not good enough"

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

i wudda backed them to bounce back and get promoted next year had davies stayed...now im not so sure.
    would he have got the sack if they were still playin championship???
    victim of his own success...good manager tho IMO.

Are you sure?

No way, I made the same point about Davies when I heard him on Soccer Saturday saying that claptrap.

It was the morning before they played Liverpool.

Hmm, can you find the link to what you are talking about, if you are arsed that is?

we were talking about the smaller teams going to the big ones, and i was saying that basically the likes of your Derby and co. just going to Old Trafford and Anfield to lose and save themselves for other matches unfairly skews the table by making the gulf between the top teams appear bigger than it is.
    What's wrong with this?

Do the so called bigger teams not rest players for games that they see as less important?

And here's a concrete example.

Alex Ferguson's selections for early Carling Cup games.

If Harry, or any other manager feels his team would be better served by having a 'relaxeds attitude' for a match against the top 4/5, so they can be more focussed on a potential relegation six pointer, is that so wrong?

Your attitude here smacks of elitism.

If the big teams are allowed to rest players, for whatever reason, the the 'smaller' teams should be allowed to do so aswell, without the threat of giving up a 'bonus point'.

i think that's a contradiction personally :D

we were talking about the smaller teams going to the big ones, and i was saying that basically the likes of your Derby and co. just going to Old Trafford and Anfield to lose and save themselves for other matches unfairly skews the table by making the gulf between the top teams appear bigger than it is.
    Wow, well found.
    i think that's a contradiction personally :D
    Let me explain that.

Yeah, teams shouldn't go out to lose, but what I meant there was that it's ok for teams like Derby to rest players against the bigger teams, if it means the players are available for more important relegation six pointers.

Derby's first five fixtures were:

Portsmouth, City, Spurs, Brum, then Liverpool.

Billy Davies, and he said this himself, told his players the season didn't start until after Liverpool.

What? Games against Brum and Pompey, and an unknown/untested City were unimportant in the relegation struggle?

(Yes, I realise now that City aren't going to be in the dogfight).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Unearthly wrote: »
    Did they expect a result from the Chelsea game or something :confused:
    obviously seen as a soft touch these days - hutchings was fired after losing to Chelsea too :D

• Advertisement

What? Games against Brum and Pompey, and an unknown/untested City were unimportant in the relegation struggle?

(Yes, I realise now that City aren't going to be in the dogfight).

you could add a similar argument though that they might as well save themselves for the latter stages of the season, when all other teams are beginning to feel the affects of fatigue, that they might have more of a chance to nick a few points this way especially against the somewhat aimless midtable sides who will have probably lost their optimism pretty early on...

also, did he say it at the very start of the season? i thought he just said that so the players could put those games behind them in their minds and make a clean break, but only after the pool game because they hadn't a hope of winning it either way, so in effect the only game they actually didn't go out and try to win was that pool one? did i pick it up wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Pigman II wrote: »
    Isn't that the problem tho? It's almost a waste of time getting promoted until you have assembled (or can assemble) a squad that will at least give a good go of staying in the Prem? Derby are possibly the worst team ever (bar maybe Sunderland) to compete in the premiership.

but what is he gonna do, lose games on purpose in the championship so they dont get promoted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I don't think I'd call a season's worth of Premier League experience and the £30m (or whatever) a team gets when relegated a waste of time. As has been pointed out, it gives a team a much better chance of bouncing back and sticking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

So whos going to get the Derby job then :confused:

McClaren :eek: Jewell perhaps??

http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=go_type&category=SOCCER&disp_cat_id=&ev_class_id=115&ev_type_id=2610&ev_oc_grp_ids=55995&bir_index=

Joe Royle 28/1 to bring back the dogs of war :D Gary Ablett and Barry Horne have been contacted :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Davies for Ireland!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

ince will become the new Steve Bruce (pre-Brum) if he moves jobs again already... for some reason, I thought Nigel Clough would be perfect for this job as soon as I heard it. But that was partly cos I thought he'd played for them at some point, which apparently he didn't :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Bookies are on lockdown now as some large bets were taken from the Cheshire area for Ince to get the job, so looks a done deal!

Now we could 5 ex Man U players as managers in the premiership: Ince, Bruce, Coppell,Keane & Hughes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

They're a certainty to go down anyway. Out of their depth. When they failed to strengthen their squad you knew it was a cert from day 1 that they'd go down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I see Derby sacked the whole back room staff too - about 10 people - and lo and behold their reserves lost 8-0 to West Ham last night:eek:

Their chairmen would want to sort them out soon, seem totally rudderless at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Billy Davies to be the next Scotland boss or maybe Souness

Advertisement