Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking chimney help

Options
  • 26-11-2007 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

I just had a new fireplace put in a single story extension. The architect has made a complete hash of it and the fire smokes like crazy the whole time. We have added rotary cowls, but that hasn't solved the problem. There is a cold draught down the chimney the whole time, even with the cowls. I don't believe the architect has a clue how to fix the problem.

Can anyone recommend a chimney expert in the Dublin area who can give us a professional view?

SAS - the chimney is lower than the peak of the roof, so one option is to extend the flue. But I'm worried if I do that I'll have a huge chimney stack. Would it matter if we extended the chiimney stack with a metal flue? Does the flue need to be insulated to work properly?

Wazzoraybell - the opening is quite large - 60cmx60cm. The flue has a diameter of about 15cm.

Stapeler - I think extending the flue is the only way to go. We have opened a window to increase the draught on the fire. It helps a bit, but it's still smokey. Gets worse when the fire guard is up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Have a look at the link and see if it can shed any light on your problem.

http://www.solidfuel.co.uk/pdfs/curing_chimney_problems.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

Is your chimney higher than the peak on your roof?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

What are you burning in your fire?
    Peat briquettes smoke a lot and can add to the problem.
    We had this problem last year( we are in a very exposed location) and changed from peat briquettes to compressed wood briquettes makes a big difference.

Other causes might be that your fireplace is too large for your flue. to check buy a dozen firebricks and line the back and sides of your fire.
    Or your flue might need heating up prior to a fire. light a firelighter in the grate and just leave it burn itself out then start your fire.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

The experts recommend that the flue extends about 1meter above the pitch to prevent down draught.
    Also recommended an insulated flue but they are expensive.
    Perhaps a silly question but is there an open vent in the room or have you tried opening a window prior to lighting the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭wall

I got a H shaped cowl fitted to my family`s house last winter as they had trouble with smoke coming down the chimney into the room, it worked, they had tried a rotary cowl which didnt work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Maglight

Thanks Wall, was the flue of the chimney higher than the apex of the roof before you put on the H cowl?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭wall

Hi Maglight, it was about the height of the apex, dont know if it was higher or lower, will try to find out over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Maglight

yeah, I think the chimney stack is too low and the air turbulence caused by the roof of the main house is pushing the smoke back down the chimney. Time to get a chimney expert in for a second opinion I think. Thanks for all the advice everyone

Advertisement