Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW polo, buying new

Options
  • 26-11-2007 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

I've been asked by someone wh has their mind set on a new car for January to voice my opinion on the VW Polo.

Problem is .. I don't have an opinion on this.

All I know is that Polos generally keep their value fairly well ...so I need your input.

Is it still a good buy, is it as "tough" as they say, are there any engines/trims that should be avoided?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would hold off buying a new Polo in Jan, a brand new model is due something in 2008. The current model is around since 2002. If she is set on a new car in Jan, I would look around at the competition which are generally more modern and do the same job better. Entry level engines are pretty poor performance wise by today's standards.

Reliability wise, there is nothing special about that model but it is probably one of VW's more reliable models made these days.

If it were my money I would be looking at the new Corsa, Yaris, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Thanks bazz

So would I ...but we're talking about a young lady here who has her mind set on a Polo for January :D

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

My wife has had a couple of them and they are not a bad little motor. My only advice would be to avoid the 3 cylinder 1.2l models, the engines sound like a tractor and are not very refined. The 1.4 petrol is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

peasant wrote: »
    Thanks bazz

So would I ...but we're talking about a young lady here who has her mind set on a Polo for January :D

She should look at the new Skoda Fabia, it uses the next generation Polo underpinings. Of course some people will not entertain the badge.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Was looking at these a while ago. At the time, it was worth upgrading to the comfortline, if only as it includes remote engine immobiliser on the key fob (baseline doesn't have this), otherwise, adding an alarm was almost the same cost.

You can get the 65bhp 1.2 engine over the 55bhp 1.2 engine at not much extra cost, I was also looking for AC, which added another 1500 to the price. If you're going up to a 1.4, you're just about at the same level as the baseline Golf price wise, and you get a lot more in the Golf. Alloy's are another 700 if you get them from VW. Test driving the Polo 1.2 was a bit tinny. The wing mirror indicator's are nice, and there's a foot rest for your clutch foot :)

I ended up getting a Fusion in the end, cheaper than the Polo, 1.4 engine, AC, Alloys as standard. The only thing the Polo had was the VW badge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

astrofool wrote: »
    Was looking at these a while ago. At the time, it was worth upgrading to the comfortline, if only as it includes remote engine immobiliser on the key fob (baseline doesn't have this), otherwise, adding an alarm was almost the same cost.

You can get the 65bhp 1.2 engine over the 55bhp 1.2 engine at not much extra cost, I was also looking for AC, which added another 1500 to the price. If you're going up to a 1.4, you're just about at the same level as the baseline Golf price wise, and you get a lot more in the Golf. Alloy's are another 700 if you get them from VW. Test driving the Polo 1.2 was a bit tinny. The wing mirror indicator's are nice, and there's a foot rest for your clutch foot :)

I ended up getting a Fusion in the end, cheaper than the Polo, 1.4 engine, AC, Alloys as standard. The only thing the Polo had was the VW badge.
    VW have improved their specs a lot recently, the base model Polo is now the 1.2 Comfortline with 70bhp and air con.

Advertisement