Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Foreign arrest?

• 26-11-2007 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi,

A friend of mine wanted me to try and find some info about an arrest which happened to him in china. He was caught in posession of a very small amount of cannabis and was arrested. He was fingerprinted and had his mugshot taken. He then signed a statement admitting the charge, paid a fine (around 80 euro) and was released. The whole process took around 5 hours. The police also took his passport details.

Obviously the offence was seen as a minor offence over there, but his question is if a future employer does a criminal record check on him (a basic disclousre) is there any chance that this offence could show up?

If anyone has any info it would be appreciated!

thanks

mark

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

I dont think it would be on record as he was arrested in china.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

He'll be grand, they'll probably just keep his details in case he's in trouble again in China. I thought the Chinese went mad about drug charges though, he should consider himself very lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Was he allowed contact the embassy for legal advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 MarkColeman

griffdaddy wrote: »
    He'll be grand, they'll probably just keep his details in case he's in trouble again in China. I thought the Chinese went mad about drug charges though, he should consider himself very lucky.

Really? He bought it off some guy on like the main street in Shanghai, which was just around the corner from the police station, and they were both arrested (him and the dealer) so the cops were obviously staking out the dealer. They took the dealer away in cuffs, they obviously werent too interested in my mate so long as he was able to pay the fine. Unless the dealers are really, really dumb (which i wouldnt rule out), the penalty for dealing drugs there cant be THAT harsh, not like in some arab countries where you'd be excecuted.

I dunno really, it was a stupid mistake he made, he's only young - early 20's and the whole experience scared the bejesus out of him so i think he learned his lesson. Couldve been alot worse like you say.

Anyway if anyone has any more info on whether it could affect his record or not, please tell!

thanks

mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 MarkColeman

Victor wrote: »
    Was he allowed contact the embassy for legal advice?

I assume he would have been, however he just co operated with the police, who were helpful and reasonably friendly, and was happy to walk out of there with a fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brendan552004

I think it would be good practice to keep China off his CV especially if he was applying for any security sensitive job, working with children etc.

I internationally adopted I had to have Garda clearance for Ireland, Interpol clearance for Europe and US police clearance, I had only spent a short time in the US.

Advertisement