Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing in 08 from UK

Options
  • 26-11-2007 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I am looking at bringing in a 2.0T (175BHP) Saab 9-3 04 model in the first quarter of 08.

What i want to know is do i need to bring cash (sterling) with me in order to buy the car as i cannot imagine they would accept cheques or the likes.

Has anyone imported a car recently, how did you pay for it? Did you pay the VRT as soon as you landed and get your Irish plates?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I've done it a few times, i've either paid cash or bank draft (we go together to the seller's bank to verify the draft). You must pay the VRT within 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Anan1 wrote: »
    I've done it a few times, i've either paid cash or bank draft (we go together to the seller's bank to verify the draft). You must pay the VRT within 24 hours.

Ah ok, its just i didnt fancy carrying £8000 in cash around Liverpool. Bank Draft is how i would like to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

For a car worth 8 grand id personally pay in cash.

Helps if you bring a mate with you if you are paying by cash, each carry half the amount.

If you bring a bank draft the seller will want to lodge it first and see that it clears before releasing the car, just keep this in mind when planning your trip as i know a couple of lads who got delayed (flights etc..) and missed the closing time of the bank and had to wait around till the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

If they take Credit Card then lodge the 8k into your credit card and use that Mastercard has a 1.75% cross border fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭jack_pearse

I was thinking of doing the same after x-mas, could you or anyone rewcommend any dealers in Liverpool?
    Was thinking of the exact same car high spec Saab 93 or perhaps and A4...
    Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement