Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Trip in Limerick, what to do after work?

Options
  • 26-11-2007 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

My partner and I are in Limerick city, for the next few days on business. We're staying in the city centre, and have a car also. What we want to know though, are there any shops / retail parks open in the evening (after 6pm). Would be great if we could kill some time and get some Christmas shopping out of the way.

Also can you recommend any good restauants (Asian / Indian / Italian -> in that order).

Have little experience with Limerick, so I'm enjoying the visit. However I couldn't help but acknowledge some of the chaos we heard from our hotel room on the city street last night. Some angry folk. I've heard that Limerick can be rough, but surely like all places it just has it's few bad eggs. Where are the nice places in Limerick? Are the cinemas a no go and full of hoodied teenagers or are they safe/good enough? We're not really interested in pub/clubs (as this is a business trip), so food and non-alcoholic activities are what we're looking for?

Appreciate any suggestions you can offer ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Crescent Shopping Centre opens late on Thurs/Fri- its just outside of Town. Basically drive straight down O'Connell Street out O'Connell Avenue and eventually the shopping centre will be on your left.

The Omniplex Cinema is there. Generally there is little rowdyness there. Especially during the week. Storm Cinema (Although I prefer the Omniplex) is located at the Castletroy Shopping centre. Only difference is it is smaller and more expensive.

There is an Indian near the Clarion Hotel which is good. For Italian I highly recommend La Picola Italia on O'Connell Street

There is also a number of retail parks out the Dublin Road Direction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Loads of restaurants to suit your tastes i'd say...

Down the market area is Copper and Spice which is great as is Poppadum. Also down there is Zweton which is nice for a quick bite. The Jasmine Palace on O'Connel St is decent enough as it Bamboo beside Eddie Rockets on O'Connel St. The food in the Clarion/Clarion Suites has a bit of an asian twist and is very nice..havent eaten in the resturaunt but the bar food is excellent. Bella Italia on Thomas St is good for Italian also, Milano on the riverside is ok for pizza/pasta..If you fancy treating yourself Bruxelles on Henry St is very nice (or was , havent been in a while) as is The Market Square on O'Connell Avenue.

Retail Parks as mentioned - Childers Road retail park is well stocked ( Maplins/Atlantic Homecare/Smyths Toys/Dunnes/ Next/Argos Superstore thing/Lifestyle Sports/Pizza Hut/KFC/Land of Leather and more

Parkway retail Park around the corner has TK Maxx/PC World/Homebase/Currys/REid Furniture and a few more

EastWay on the Tipp Road has B+Q/Instore/Harvey Norman and a couple more i cant think off right now..

The Crescent is well worth a look as well. Loads of shops under one roof

The resturaunt in The Hunt Museum is decent as well and you could check the museum in the process.

Storm cinema is my favourite but the omniplex is ok too..

You could also take a trip to Bunratty which is not far and worth a look. Gallaghers resturaunt is very nice if you like seafood and The Manor is also decent. Adare is also a short spin and is a lovely little village for a touristy option.

thats my visitors guide done for now:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

vkid wrote: »
    You could also take a trip to Bunratty which is not far and worth a look. Gallaghers resturaunt is very nice if you like seafood and The Manor is also decent. Adare is also a short spin and is a lovely little village for a touristy option.

The creamery in bunratty also has the best steak to be gotten anywhere if steak is your thing ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

Thank you all for the replies. Greatly appreciated ;)

I noticed Neon-Circles mentioned (thurs/fri) with regards the shops. Would any be open late this evening. We're leaving the city on Wednesday y'see.

Cheers for the restaurant tips, just what I was looking for. Spot on! :)

• Advertisement

think most of the retail parks are open until 8 most days of the week or at least some shops are. Not sure about the Crescent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Well if your staying in a hotel i the city centre you can check out some of the shops in the city centre, great selection, I don't know what hotel your in but im sure if you walk around a small bit you will find the main shopping streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Indeed

The crescent shops are only open until 7 or so mon to weds, while Thurs/Fri are 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I second Copper & Spice and Milano for good restaurants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Placid Casual

not much really after 6
    the usual
    cinema, pubs, resturaunts, all museums closed by 6 :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement