Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's the craic with the price of Diesel ?

Options
  • 26-11-2007 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

So what's going on with diesel, i always thought it was cheaper to refine hence it was always cheaper in price than petrol, but last night i'm going by one garage and they're looking for 120.9 for diesel and only 116.9 for petrol, like wtf !!!??? Even the cheapest garage i can find around here has diesel 1 cent dearer than petrol !

Whole reason i bought a diesel car was cos it's cheaper and more economical at this rate i may as well go back to petrol ! Does anyone know the reasoning behind these prices ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Not sure but over in the UK Diesel is far more expensive than petrol and has been for years. Maybe it's a tax duty thing in the UK...dunno! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Demand demand demand! Its the season for home heating fuel, I think that influences derv prices. As for selling up and returning to diesel, thats mad. you're getting 25-30% better economy right now.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

A veg conversion is looking really attractive right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

111.9 in my local tesco stil.

Diesel gets more expensive in Europe in winter due to people using it for home heating fuel, if I remember my secondary school geography properly. In the US, summer is its peak due to people holidaying, or at least it was back in the mists of time (well the 1990s)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The price of diesel is roughly on par with petrol down this neck of the woods.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

At my local Shell station

1.20/litre for Diesel
    1.51 / litre for Petrol

In the Netherlands :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cripes Tesco petrol 115, and I thought that was bad.

Mike,.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Potluck

murphys law. i never owned a diesel b4 about a month ago. Sorry lads its all my fault!!!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Corrib oil on the Tuam Road Galway 115.9 for Diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Hmmm well when i got my diesel car a few months ago diesel was always 3,4 even 5 cents cheaper and i thought it was great but now i don't think it's so great,

Mike65, yes well i'm easily getting 45 miles to the gallon on a 2 ltr so don't think i'll be moving back to petrol anytime soon !

MYOB, do u know it goes up in the winter for sure, like if oil is still the same price as now during the summer will diesel be a few cents cheaper cos of less demand ?

ballooba, LOL let me know how u get on with your conversion and i might get mine done !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭qballirl

I think its statoil in citywest but they where looking for 122.9 for diesel and 119.9 for petrol. Crazy, it seems to go up at night but ill double check. Also some mornings you get a nice view of all the gardas new machinery there using on the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

I think it,s nothing more than another case of ripoff ireland, as the percentage of diesel cars increase the "industry" sees another way to take some more of your money off you. it,s as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

i get another 50 miles on my diesel tank for the same money as my last 1.4 astra. it's ok but frustrating that diesel is dearer than petrol.

i get another 50 miles on my diesel tank for the same money as my last 1.4 astra. it's ok but frustrating that diesel is dearer than petrol.

I'm getting about the same compared to my old mazda 323f but i've a lot more power now with the diesel, right handy for them feckers that speed up when your overtaking them ! Hmmmm could actually start a thread about them like why do they do it ???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

Zorba wrote: »
    I'm getting about the same compared to my old mazda 323f but i've a lot more power now with the diesel, right handy for them feckers that speed up when your overtaking them ! Hmmmm could actually start a thread about them like why do they do it ???

it's been done before, but theres always one, like the ones who don't move out of the overtaking lane etc etc

it's been done before, but theres always one, like the ones who don't move out of the overtaking lane etc etc

Yeah and then i get seriously paranoid about undertaking them, what if they pull in what if the cops are out in an unmarked car.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

I watched a very good documentary about oil (and post peak oil production in particular) on RTE sometime last year. It was a fascinating programme; the increase in the price of diesel was put down to the strong demand for the fuel (and a growing demand amongst european motorists for diesel engined cars) coupled with the limited capacity of existing european refineries to produce the fuel. Diesel was at one time confined primarily to commercial vehicles, industry and large engined cars, but advances in engine design (turbo charging etc) have resulted in widespread use of smaller diesel engines in more mainstream cars. So it's all about demand.

carpainter wrote: »
    I watched a very good documentary about oil (and post peak oil production in particular) on RTE sometime last year. It was a fascinating programme; the increase in the price of diesel was put down to the strong demand for the fuel (and a growing demand amongst european motorists for diesel engined cars) coupled with the limited capacity of existing european refineries to produce the fuel. Diesel was at one time confined primarily to commercial vehicles, industry and large engined cars, but advances in engine design (turbo charging etc) have resulted in widespread use of smaller diesel engines in more mainstream cars. So it's all about demand.

Yeah seen a program on TnaG last week about oil and how it's gonna run out and how are current way of life is buggered. What's the really depressing thing about it is how america uses more oil/capita than anywhere else in the world and yet they still won't get their fat arses out of their V8's and maybe make oil last a bit longer. One stat was something like americans use 50 barrels of oil a yr, europeans use 24, china only uses 1 but that's gonna change, think paka and india use 2 or 3.

Advertisement