Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before I can use my cheque?

Options
  • 26-11-2007 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

I will have a cheque coming in in the next few days and I was wondering how long would it take before it would be active in my account? Which bank would be quickest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Go to the bank it was issued from and cash it, it's the quickest way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Your best bet would be to get it cashed at the bank which issued it unless its crossed with &Co or Account Payee only, then you'll have to lodge it in your own account first and wait for it to clear?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Goldenquick

With N.I. it usually takes 7 working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

could be wrong but afaik banks will not cash a cheque these days. you have to lodge, then withdraw.

Usually, the norm is 3 working days for a cheque to clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

sgt.bilko wrote: »
    could be wrong but afaik banks will not cash a cheque these days. you have to lodge, then withdraw.

Usually, the norm is 3 working days for a cheque to clear.

Never had a problem with it provided:
    I went to the bank it was issued from
    It was made out in my name
    I had ID

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Never had a problem with it provided:
    I went to the bank it was issued from
    It was made out in my name
    I had ID

Some banks will require you to have an account in that branch too.

If you're in good standing with your bank then most will allow you to draw down on an uncleared cheque. This means that the balance will show as if the cheque has cleared, even though it hasn't. If anything happens with the cheque (bounce etc) then the funds will be taken back from your account, possibly leaving you overdrawn.

Advertisement