Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog poo

Options
  • 26-11-2007 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has already been posted but I tried the search facility and I could not find an appropriate thread.

How do you stop dogs in your estate sh*ting in your lawn.

I have tried a green crystal product that can be bought in hardware shops.

Does something like Jeyes fluid help. People have told me filling a plastic bottle with water and leaving it in the lawn helps.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

How do you stop dogs in your estate sh*ting in your lawn.

Ask the owner not to let their dog roam freely like that... its not right.

Would it be possible to put up a fence?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Limerick91

It happens when I am at work so I don't know what dog is doing it.

The planning for the estate stated that the gardens have to be open plan so I don't think a fence is an option

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭coolhandc

afaik the thing with the water in the bottle is to scare off cats or something because when they see their reflection they think its another cat.i dont know if it works for dogs too.if they are ****1ting in your front garden then why dont you just put up gates into your house.if it is in front of your house on your little patch i dont know what you could do.if there is a residents association you could get in contact with them to put in their newsletter about dogs doing their business on peoples lawns.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

Its important you clean up the mess as soon as possible as dogs like to defecate in the same area also put something strong smelling around the edge of your green area ( like a dettol solution) to put the dog off and keep the grass cut short.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

How does the dog get into your front lawn? Do you have front gates or a side fence? I would recommend getting the gates. If you really wanted to know what dog is crapping in your lawn how about a camera facing your lawn? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Lay down a sprinkler and saturate them. I have the same issue with cats. Their shít quite simply stinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭lucyburn

Dog poo is horrible,people who let their dogs dirty the street should not be allowed to own dogs.
    I stood on some dog mess yesterday,and i was wearing my favourite pair of ugg boots.
    Disgusting!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Niall06

Thought that might improve the Ugg boots:D

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭wall

I have a shi#te prob in my front too, i have gravel down, its either a jack russel that lives next door or a cat across the lane, i think its the cat as i caught it going to the loo in that part of my garden when i was digging it for the gravel a few months ago. Is a cats poo about the same size as a jack russels poo?, its quite moist but holds its shape well, it stinks and it tastes rotten too. How can i find out who it is? (only joking about the taste, its not that bad!)

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

If it's solid and stinks I'd say its a cat but the only way to be sure is <mod edit>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Not much you can do if you're at work, except wait for your next bout of the flu and drag your bed over to the window so you can watch and catch the criminal at work.

However, wazzoraybelle is correct - the dog or dogs is/are simply using the same place as usual.

Look at it from the dog's point of view: a dog's life is mediated by smells in the same way ours is by sight. So the smell of previous poos says to a dog "This is the correct, acceptable, polite place to use as a toilet - it's where it's always been done."

I had something of the same problem when I moved into my house, though not actually in the garden. My gatepost was the main local staging post for male dogs to lift their leg.

It stank, and I had two elderly cats, so I didn't want to encourage too many unsupervised dogs to hang around my gate (when I'd get off the bus I'd whistle, and the two cats would whizz out from wherever they were and sit on the two gateposts, staring up the road to welcome me.)

I got rid of the problem. I first got buckets of hot water, detergent and bleach, and washed and washed the place with a mop until the smell was absolutely gone, then I shook a whole bottle of Tabasco over the gatepost and surrounding pavement.

Every day for a couple of weeks I repeated the washing with hot water, biological detergent and bleach, and I kept the place well sprinkled with hot cayenne pepper from the Indian grocery. After that, I only had to repeat the washes occasionally. The dogs found a new place to poo.

I'd suggest that you get some of those plastic poo bags and a set of dedicated rubber gloves a different colour from your normal washing-up gloves, and go out every day and pick up the poo, and bring it and deposit it wherever you'd like the dogs to poo - for instance, at the foot of the nearest rubbish bin. Not too far away - you want them to follow the scent.

Then wash the area with bleach and biological detergent (the biological detergent takes away the smell for dogs), and scatter lots of the hottest cayenne you can find on it.

Keep at it and you'll get rid of the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If it's solid and stinks I'd say its a cat but the only way to be sure is <mod edit>
    Cats normally bury their poo. Most likely dogs in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Coonagh Cowboy

You could try laying down a few mothballs,they contain naphthalene which will repel animals. They can be used as a barrier around your front lawn.

Advertisement