Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O carrol defending Tirenan radio 1

• 26-11-2007 3:20pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Listening to Brendan O Carrol attempting to defend Tommy tiernans` sneering down syndrome people recently is a real eye opener to the make up of Brendan O Carrol not to mention Tommy Tiernan.
    Is he making a show of himself or is he correct?

What about Tommy Tiernan mocking of down syndrome people?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No idea what this is about, I'm more concerned by the fact that the RTE regulars are dissapearing off air again, Tubridy and Duffy AWOL.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Bah, it's the pc world gone ott tbqh.

I was at his show Sat night and yea, some folks were clearly uncomfortable at his sketch but ffs, he even put a disclaimer before doing it, warning that it might be ott but it wasn't to be taken literally and seriously.

I bloody well roffled.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

warning that it might be ott but it wasn't to be taken literally and seriously.

what did he expect?

Dcully wrote: »
    what did he expect?
    What did people expect?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yes i know what those at the show expected but that doesnt excuse it.
    I didnt see or hear what went on so i cant fully comment in fairness.
    I just think O Carroll missed the poiunt and took it almost personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Forget Brendan O Carroll, that presenter guy who is not Joe Duffy just spelled p-i-s-s and called it the p-word. Is it a bad word now? I never knew.

Oh look, now another lady is calling it the p-word. I love RTE.

Dcully wrote: »
    Yes i know what those at the show expected but that doesnt excuse it.
    I didnt see or hear what went on so i cant fully comment in fairness.
    I just think O Carroll missed the poiunt and took it almost personally.
    He made some jokes about DS folks not being searched at airports for drugs.

About parking in handicap spots.
    > that handicap spots should be further away rather than right at the door because it's not like they have to walk far anyway
    > that there should be ramps at these spots to you can push them on...

that the 6 year old DS kid who wrote in to complain about being exploited was a cunt but he finished the sentence with "of a mother".

About running the marathon in aid of DS kids but thinking after did they ask him for a snickers bar..

Quite harmless if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 largetime

I was at the gig last night (Sunday) and didn't enjoy it at all - really disappointed as I was looking forward to it

I'd laugh at almost anything, I just don't find over 20 minutes of a guy impersonating someone with DS particularly funny or clever.

Tiernan's a really talented guy, but he should stick to writing his classic stand-up, and not a two hour set of cheap laughs and handicap jokes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭lucyburn

I didn't hear what Bredan said,but i have heard Tommys show (and loved it and him)
    I can't see the big deal-i don't think he was being offenseive.
    I love Bredan and Tommy as comedians.Bredan will probably regret what he said.

After all a joke is just a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Lawless_Samurai

lucyburn wrote: »
    After all a joke is just a joke.

Exactly, anyone who goes to a comedy show and gets offended is a bit of an idiot really. I was at the show on thursday night and I thought it was a good show.
    lucyburn wrote: »
    Bredan will probably regret what he said.

What did he say?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Nothing in the world offends me, and I had the same experience when a group of us from work went to Tommy Tiernan's show. I laughed the whole way through it, whereas others went mad at the DS jokes. As Lawless Samurai said, if you're the easily offended type, dont go to a comedy show. I for one do not want to see comedians censored because some people dont like what they say. Richard Pryor based his career on mocking "the white man", Bill Hicks mocked everything....what Tommy did was fairly harmless when you compare them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

ricky gervais has amde career out of these kind of jokes, watch some of his fame dvd, all it is is talking the piss out people with cancer and disabilites, but he does alot for charideee so its okay, ricky gervias isn't good enough for it be be okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Lawless_Samurai

Nightwish wrote: »
    I for one do not want to see comedians censored because some people dont like what they say. Richard Pryor based his career on mocking "the white man", Bill Hicks mocked everything....what Tommy did was fairly harmless when you compare them.

Here Here +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Moro23

I don't think it is a matter of weather you get easily offended or not, I think that it is wrong to make fun of people who have a mental disability , What Tommy may not think about is that this is the thin end of the wedge . I mean to say is he that stuck for material that he has to mock people with ds. If he did the same kind of stuff about Jews or black people would he not be labeled as a racist. I’ll lay my cards on the table here I am the father of a child with special needs And I would not find it funny if I came across young kids mocking my daughter and I find it hard to see the difference between what they would be doing and what he is doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Well the difference is that comedy shows arent personal, whereas someone mocking your child is. If you're that sensitive/paranoid that you cannot separate your personal life and entertainment, you shouldnt go near a comedy show. Tommy made a joke about suicide during that same infamous show - a subject very close to me, that has affected me personally but I can immerse myself in a show and laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Moro23

Nightwish wrote: »
    Well the difference is that comedy shows arent personal, whereas someone mocking your child is. If you're that sensitive/paranoid that you cannot separate your personal life and entertainment, you shouldnt go near a comedy show. Tommy made a joke about suicide during that same infamous show - a subject very close to me, that has affected me personally but I can immerse myself in a show and laugh.
    Sensitive YES, but who told you I was paranoid .You have caused a row between the wife and me Night wish. She happens to agree with you about not taking it personal .So I had a rethink you see I can’t see the humour in mocking people who are mentally disabled and I don’t think it is just because I’m the father of a child with special needs. I remember going to see Des Bishop in Carlow, and at the start of his show he was talking about parking attendants and the fact that they always seem to be disabled, he then proceeded to walk across the stage trying to look like a spastic. Now I was not a Dad then and I still found it both unfunny and cruel. But maybe there is no such thing as moral or immoral comedy its either good or bad.

Advertisement