Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quinn Direct - Direct Debit Issue

Options
  • 26-11-2007 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Just a quick query to see has anyone experienced anything similar. I have a private motor insurance policy with Quinn, and pay be D/D monthly. Last month, I noticed Quinn took out €146 from my a/c all of a sudden, and for no reason. I knew something was up, but I forgot about it until now, when this morning I checked my bank statement, and found that another €146 has been taken by D/D again.

I got onto quinn and after loads of holding, they said that they have no record of these payments being taken, and they only have records of my own payments going through my policy. I faxed in a statement, and they admitted that there is something wrong, but they don't know what. I am waiting to hear back from their accounts dept.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? My bank suggested that someone might have setup a D/D for their insurance from my a/c. Is this possible? No one else has my a/c details that I know of. Any help/advise appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Sounds like a case for the Ombudsman (01 662 0899). I kept well away from the Direct Debit option myself. 20% APR, yikes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

Quinn direct refunded €63 on to my credit card this month for absolutely no reason. I havent had a quinn direct account in about three years and i only have this credit card under a year so its definately a mistake...

GREAT SUCCESS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

not so bad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

It might have been placed on DD twice by Quinn Direct maybe.

They're not known to have a great customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

OP, quiet simple, ring your branch and tell them a DD was taken without your permission and you will be refunded rather quickly direct by the bank, they will then send an indemnity claim to Quinn Direct. Easy, let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

If Quinn have broken the terms of IPSO's Direct Debit Scheme then your bank are obliged to request a direct debit indeminity from Quinn once you contact them. They should credit the incorrect amounts into your bank account immediately.

Slice wrote: »
    If Quinn have broken the terms of IPSO's Direct Debit Scheme then your bank are obliged to request a direct debit indeminity from Quinn once you contact them. They should credit the incorrect amounts into your bank account immediately.

Is that not what I just said ^^ :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Hi folks,

Thanks for the many responces. Quinn finally got back to me and said someone else has setup a D/D to pay their car insurance from my bank a/c. They asked my to get an indemnity (I see the above posts mentioned this) from my bank. I'm not sure what this is, or what exactly it will say. They said its something to do with me being the only one with access to my a/c.

Anyone who can inlighten me would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

EI-DAV wrote: »
    Anyone who can inlighten me would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
    Get onto your bank and they'll do it for you, as the people above said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭cudman

Quinn direct refunded €63 on to my credit card this month for absolutely no reason. I havent had a quinn direct account in about three years and i only have this credit card under a year so its definately a mistake...

GREAT SUCCESS!!!
    If it was me id say keep your €63 and get my details off your system (you can demand that). It pisses me off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Stark wrote: »
    Sounds like a case for the Ombudsman (01 662 0899). I kept well away from the Direct Debit option myself. 20% APR, yikes!

The Financial Services Ombudsman requires you to exhaust the company's internal complaints process before he will get involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 patricia09

Will never deal with Qiunn direct again!they cancelled my insurance for apparently not receiving my no claims cert even though i was under the appression that everything was sorted,as i was on the phone to them a dozen times a day sorting it and sent it twice!
    They then cancelled my insurance without informing but sent a letter 2weeks later after the policy was cancelled. I had been driving my car with no insurance! I got no satisfaction from them when i complained.

I really dont want them getting away with this, any suggestions?

^^ Have you tried the financial regulator?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

EI-DAV wrote: »
    Quinn finally got back to me and said someone else has setup a D/D to pay their car insurance from my bank a/c.
    Fun times: the bank won't be able to say who was using your account, but I'm unsure if the same is with Quinn. Try it, to see if you know the person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭girloperfection

Renewed my insurance with quinn direct at the end of november, decided to pay by direct debit this year but when they took the deposit out of my account i noticed that they took an extra €30 than they should have. I rang and was told that my monthly payments from now on would be a little less to make up for this. I am wondering were they hoping i wouldnt notice they had taken extra and would my monthly payments have stayed at the original price or would they it have gone down without me having to ring...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I have 2 policies with QD, private and commercial motor and both are Direct Debit. Cannot recall a single problem in 3yrs. Not saying it doesnt happen but sometimes people are quick to jump on the anti-Quinn bandwagon.

Any DD anomaly should be queried both with the bank and the originator and if all else fails sure you can just cancel any pending DD's from your bank account. That's where I would start anyway, then go about chasing QD for the refund.

It should not be tolerated lightly by any means, whether its QD or any other company.

Advertisement