Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro XC 08

• 26-11-2007 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

AAI released the teams (link).

Surprised to see Fagan listed. I'm sure I read that Turnbull said he wouldn't be going also. No McGettigan in the women's team.

Senior Men
    Martin Fagan (Mullingar Harriers)
    Gary Murray (St. Malachy’s)
    Gareth Turnbull (St. Malachy’s)
    Vinnie Mulvey (Raheny Shamrocks)
    Joe McAllister (St. Malachy’s)
    Colm Rooney (Clonliffe Harriers)

Senior Women
    Mary Cullen (North Sligo AC)
    Fionnuala Britton (Sli Chulainn)
    Deirdre Byrne (Sli Chulainn)
    Jolene Byrne (Donore Harriers)
    Pauline Curley (Tullamore AC)
    Maria McCambridge (Dundrum South Dublin)

U-23 Men
    Mark Christie (Mullingar Harriers)
    Joseph Sweeney (Dundrum South Dublin)
    Michael Clohissey (Raheny Shamrocks)
    Cathal Dennehy (Emerald AC)
    Danny Darcy (St, Laurence O’Toole AC)
    Andrew Ledwith (Fr. Murphy’s)

U-23 Women
    Linda Byrne (Dundrum South Dublin)
    Frances Nic Reamoin (Clonliffe Harriers)
    Rose Anne Galligan (Newbridge AC)
    Aisling Baker (Dundrum South Dublin)
    Azemra Gebrezgi (Dublin City Harriers)
    Tracey Williams (Tallaght AC)

Junior Men
    David McCarthy (West Waterford AC)
    Brendan O’Neill (Dundrum South Dublin)
    John Coghlan (Metro St. Brigid’s)
    Michael Mulhare (North Laois AC)
    David Rooney (Raheny Shamrocks)
    Niall Tuohy (Ferrybank AC)

Junior Women
    Charlotte Ffrench-O’Carroll (Dundrum South Dublin)
    Rebecca Ffrench-O’Carroll (Dundrum South Dublin)
    Suzanne Huet (Dundrum South Dublin)
    Sara Louise Treacy (Moynalvey AC)
    Eimear Black (Balymena and Antrim AC)
    Lorraine McCarthy (West Waterford AC)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Yeah in the Irish times today Turnbull stated that the intercounties would be his only outing over the country this year. Perhaps he has since changed his mind !

Pleasantly surprised with Fagans presence myself. Whats the story with McGettigan ? she must be injured or doesn't want to be selected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

can see both are junior teams being a threat for medals great to see the future of the sport seems to be in good hands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

Yes, the women's Junior team looks particularly strong.Nothing needs to be said re: the two O' Ffrench-Carroll's (and this is their first year at Junior level), then you have Huet (6th over 5000m at the Euro Juniors this year) and that Sara Treacy seems to be having a strong season on the UK XC scene (if that is the same Sara Treacy that runs for B'ham Uni!). Good times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Rineanna wrote: »
    Yes, the women's Junior team looks particularly strong.Nothing needs to be said re: the two O' Ffrench-Carroll's (and this is their first year at Junior level), then you have Huet (6th over 5000m at the Euro Juniors this year) and that Sara Treacy seems to be having a strong season on the UK XC scene (if that is the same Sara Treacy that runs for B'ham Uni!). Good times!

It is indeed. And Huet is the same age as the twins, so they'll be eligible for the Euro juniors for 2 more years (08 and 09). The under 16 winner yesterday, Ciara Mageean, is only 15 and has already run 9:39 for 3k, which is faster than the Rebecca twin.

Very interested to see how the junior men get on; McCarthy has had a good first season at Providence and Coghlan is going great. Hopefully, O'Neill can recover in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Common Sense

McGeean had a fantastic run in the Gerry Farnan - was first junior home over 3 miles. Had 3 seconds to spare over the first of the twins.

• Advertisement

Was just discussing the Junior Women's chances on another board; they've got their work cut out for them allright.

GBR still, to the best of my knowledge, have Steph Twell, Charlotte Purdue, Emma Pallant and Emily Pidgeon eligible for the Junior race - which is one strong team indeed. Not only have they Twell, last year's winner in the category - and an astonishing Olympic A qualifier in the 1500m at the age of 18, she's defo one for the future - but Emily Pidgeon has also proved her endurance class over 5000m on the track.

Norway have two killer Steeplechasers, Grovdal (9.33) and Engeset (9.34), aswell as Opsal (the Euro Junior Silver Medallist over 5000m). So, they are a threat.

Romania have a flock of middle-to-long distance runners coming through the ranks, having won 4 out of the 6 medals going for the 1500m and 3000m at this year's Euro Juniors, with high finishes in the 5000m too. God knows, the next Gabriel Szabo (sp?) could be in their midst.

I'm not by any means knocking the Irish girls' chances (and the good thing is, as was pointed out by SlowCoach, they've only just entered the Junior Category, so will probably fair even stronger in the next two years), it'll just be interesting to see how they fare!!

any chance i can ask wat forum ya were on cos onli other one i know is leevale and that has become terrible recently

ecoli wrote: »
    any chance i can ask wat forum ya were on cos onli other one i know is leevale and that has become terrible recently

yeh its all d txt spk

ecoli wrote: »

Yes it was Leevale so I better re-phrase my post:
    I was discussing the Junior Women's chances WITH MYSELF...!!!

I've no doubt the post will be lost amongst some petty squabbles over who goes to Toro and why (or more to the point, why they shouldn't!). It has become a breeding ground for fights and arguments, so I tend to stick to this board.

tell me bout it so much of the time is spent criticising runners like it a joke we should be supportin each other all i hear is abuse bout injured runners etc the rare bit of good info but alot of filtering thru bull s**t needed to get it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

Actually posting about athletics!! Been told Turnbull is not doing EuroX. Unoffically its Al McCormack who is the replacement.

Just posting on here. I had a board a couple of years ago smiliar to the Leevale one. I didnt keep my eye on it for a while.

Two very promient members one a top coach got his solictor on to me regarding it. The other one was on the BLE(that long ago!!) comittee and also was getting his legal eyed eagles after me.

I eventually had to close the board. There was nothing but personal insults on it. I have a couple of other stories that happened there.

I also know Clonliffee Harriers had a smiliar board, this was intended for good purposes but people decide to personally insult other people and in the majority these are liablous. So Im wont be surprised when the Leevale board closes.

The other thing I have asked and never got a response on. How come it is only in athletics that this internet forums have such issues. It isnt in other sports!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

DaveH wrote: »
    The other thing I have asked and never got a response on. How come it is only in athletics that this internet forums have such issues. It isnt in other sports!

I think other sports do have some of the petty / slanderous posts you talk about but you are right athletics boards usually descend into unbelievable slagging matches. I think half the reason is because deep down most runners are nuts :D.

Now if anybody disagrees with me I will smite you down with some insults about your mother/sister and tell you how crap you are etc etc.

Doesn't happen on this forum. Leevale is unmoderated. If you let them, they'll slowly get out of hand, but in here they behave, so it's not to do with Athletics.

Don't believe me? Check out the Soccer forum.

i think its because
    1) athletes are the most competitive natured people ever(why else would ya torture yourself with this kinda training
    2) the fact that ya cant hide behind people like in team sports makes them more suseptable to criticism
    not that i condoning this of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭harrier

Slow coach wrote: »
    Leevale is unmoderated.
    Worse again, it permits anonymous postings which is inviting trouble really. Anyway, before this thread spirals right off topic...

There should be some good racing out there. I suppose we'll get 10 seconds coverage on RTE/TV3 sports news if there's a medal and none otherwise. :(

haha indeed and that onli if it a major medal mind you lol but it okay because british football will be covered to the effect of nausea so ya cant expect them to be able to support there own countries athletes

[sarcasm jus in case no one picked it up]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

in fairness RTE have shown the last two Euro X senior races LIVE.
    2005 clashed with National Novice
    2006 Clashed with port tunnel run!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

in fairness RTE have shown the last two Euro X senior races LIVE.
    2005 clashed with National Novice
    2006 Clashed with port tunnel run!

They also had 'live' reports from Italy on RTE Radio 1 last year. I remember driving home from the Tunnel Run tuning in only because they had advertised that they'd have live coverage of the races. I heard the same report from George Hamilton about 3 times. It was recorded and repeated 2 or 3 times only giving information about Finnula Britton's 2nd place finish....live and up-to-date my pet donkey!

Their coverage of Athletics is improving, no doubt, but it's got a long way to go.

personally i think the coverage is terrible our senior national get half an hour when you compare to the Brittish schools which got full coverage i mean come on that pretty bad

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

Some changes announced by athletics ireland...

Athletics Ireland announce team changes

Athletics Ireland today announce amendments to the team for the European Cross Country Championships which take place on the 9th of December in Toro, Spain

In the Senior Men’s team, reserve Alan McCormack from Dundrum South Dublin has been promoted to the team in place of Gareth Turnbull who is concentrating on the indoor season.

The Senior Women’s has had several alterations; Maria McCambridge and Mary Cullen have both withdrawn due to injury. Reserve Rosemary Ryan of Bilboa A.C. was promoted to the senior women’s team has now had to withdraw for medical reasons.

Meanwhile, RTE 2 will have live television coverage of the championships from 12 noon to 1.40pm.

• Advertisement

Clum wrote: »

Meanwhile, RTE 2 will have live television coverage of the championships from 12 noon to 1.40pm.

Amazing! :p

Only 4 senior women? Maybe they'll draft in Sonia.

When in doubt, pull in Sonia! I had heard she was actually going to try and qualify for it in the first place, not a mind be drafted in as a replacement. That team sure is weakened, especially without Cullen. Ms. Britton is our only hope, being the second European home in Mombasa behind Jesus.......Augusto!

Good performances from the Irish Juniors;
    David McCarthy 9th,
    151 COGHLAN, John 31
    155 ROONEY, David 38
    153 MULHARE, Michael 58
    156 TUOHY, Niall (76)
    154 O'NEILL, Brendan

overall, they came 7th in the team event

The women took 5th in the team event, bettering the likes of France, Spain, Portugal, Romania and Germany, showing great potential for the next two years, with Charlotte Ffrench-O' Carroll the first home in 14th place:

FFRENCH-O'CARROLL, Charlotte 14
    153 FFRENCH-O'CARROLL, Rebecca 33
    156 TREACY, Sara 34
    151 BLACK, Eimear 43
    154 HUET, Suzanne (54)
    155 MCCARTHY, Lorraine

Also.......

Linda Byrne came an excellent (and agonising) 6th place in the U23s...fair play to her. 6th place overall.
    BYRNE, Linda 6
    155 NIC REAMOINN, Frances 20
    153 GALLIGAN, Rose-Anne 44
    154 GEBREZGI, Azmera 59
    151 BAKER, Aisling (62)

hope to see o neill come bak to the form we all know he is capable of i heard he been struggling with an injury. good reult from the girls team to a very young team with alot of talent

Advertisement