Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Line F Consultations - Cycle Tracks?

Options
  • 26-11-2007 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Just in the Fitzwilliam Hotel on Stephens Green where the RPA are doing their public consultation re. the choice of preferred route for the proposed Lucan-City centre line (go Lucan Village!:D).

I also talked the two guys there (they seemed senior enough) about the logic of putting a cycle lane alongside the Luas line when it was being built…They said that it could be a good idea given the focus on reducing emmissions and that a cycle track was originally planned for part of the Stephens Green-Sandyford line. They did say that space was a problem (especially in city streets) but that the more comments they got from the public about a cycle track, the more of an issue it would be for them….

They are just doing the consultations for the choice of route now - there will be other consultations on the design - but sure what harm would an old e-mail to info@rpa.ie be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Seriously, is there a bike path going in with the Sandyford -> Cherrywood section? If so that's super as I can't cycle to work at the moment as you can't use the M50 on a bike and the N11 would add on 10 mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭sapper

Don't think so - they would have mentioned it if it was.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

sapper wrote: »
    I also talked the two guys there (they seemed senior enough) about the logic of putting a cycle lane alongside the Luas line when it was being built…They said that it could be a good idea given the focus on reducing emmissions and that a cycle track was originally planned for part of the Stephens Green-Sandyford line. They did say that space was a problem (especially in city streets) but that the more comments they got from the public about a cycle track, the more of an issue it would be for them….
    How would they route the cycle track around the stations?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If there is room for a station there is room to route a cycle track around it; I imagine that is the least difficult bit. It would be a lot more work providing for the cycle lane on the full length of the off-road sections or on streets that simply don't have room (it's not as essential on the street bits though.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

blorg wrote: »
    If there is room for a station there is room to route a cycle track around it; I imagine that is the least difficult bit. It would be a lot more work providing for the cycle lane on the full length of the off-road sections or on streets that simply don't have room (it's not as essential on the street bits though.)

My question wasn't really about the room available. I was wondering how you could keep pedestrians (walking to/from Luas) and cyclists reasonably seperate. If the cycle lane simply runs around the station, it will get jammed up with consumers every 4 minutes in rush hour. Just doesn't seem safe to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It wouldn't be the end of the world if cyclists had to proceed a bit more slowly at stations during rush hour. All off-road cycle lanes have this problem at the moment in any case. Luas stations would have if anything more of an opportunity for keeping the cycle lane/pedestrian interface brief than for example bus stops.

Advertisement