Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drimnagh Area

Options
  • 26-11-2007 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I am looking at buying a house (semi -detached) in Drimnagh and I am a bit worried about the reputation and the reaction I get from work colleagues when I say I am buying in Drimnagh! Mostly its shock and disbelief. I am looking at Mourne road, Rafters rd, Dromore Rd, Knocknarea Rd. Has anyone here lived in these parts? I am mostly concerned about kids loitering around antisocial behaviour. I would far prefer moving to D4 but I simply cant afford there so its areas like Drimnagh, Crumlin and Inchicore I am looking at because I can afford to buy a brick built semi.
    I hear that parts of these areas are on the UP because many young professionals such as myself are moving into these areas for the same reasons I have mentioned. I am also going to the Garda station in the area to ask them about these roads perhaps they can also advise.

Your feedback is much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭CAT24

Hi DubiousDude

I grew up on Galtymore Road which is parallel to Mourne Road. I personally love the area and haven't had any trouble. I am now in the middle of buying a house at the top of Drimnagh and cant wait to get into it.

We've gone for drives past the house about 3000 times at all different times since we decided to buy it and there hasn't been a living soul on the streets most of the time so we're quite happy. Once you don't see gangs of young people at corners you should be fine!

Have you taken a drive around the area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭JMCD

I am looking at buying a house (semi -detached) in Drimnagh and I am a bit worried about the reputation and the reaction I get from work colleagues when I say I am buying in Drimnagh! Mostly its shock and disbelief. I am looking at Mourne road, Rafters rd, Dromore Rd, Knocknarea Rd. Has anyone here lived in these parts? I am mostly concerned about kids loitering around antisocial behaviour. I would far prefer moving to D4 but I simply cant afford there so its areas like Drimnagh, Crumlin and Inchicore I am looking at because I can afford to buy a brick built semi.
    I hear that parts of these areas are on the UP because many young professionals such as myself are moving into these areas for the same reasons I have mentioned. I am also going to the Garda station in the area to ask them about these roads perhaps they can also advise.

Your feedback is much appreciated.

Without causing to much offence what do you mean "On the way up"? When was Drimnagh,Crumlin,Inchicore ever on the way down?

These are working class areas with some of the nicest people you could meet and yes there would be some anti-social behaviour but not everywhere! As the last poster said maybe you should take a trip around these areas a few nights a week and make up your own mind....and forget about what people from work think and decide for yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

JMCD wrote: »
    Without causing to much offence what do you mean "On the way up"? When was Drimnagh,Crumlin,Inchicore ever on the way down?

Without naming roads, there are plenty of places in Crumlin I would not like to live, particulary where {SNIP} resided

Mod Edit : Please dont mention peoples names, This is the only warning i'm going to give

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

lived in dublin 12 most of my life and think it's fine.
    At night drimnagh is like a morgue, i'd walk the dog around mourne road etc most nights and i've never been bothered. there's a few bad pennies and the areas had a few bad news stories in recent years, but you can get that everywhere, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

It's not on the up, and talk of young professionals moving in is - to put it politely - horse****.

There are nicer places to buy for the same money, you'll just have to move out a bit further from the centre of town.

If you want my advice, don't buy in Drimnagh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Gizz

HI
    young professional lady thinking of buying a house in crumlin, but getting very mixed reviews.

Just wondering if anyone could tell me the NO GO streets? I've looked at houses on Windmill Avenue, Kildare Road, and Clonmacnoise....

I'd really appreciate any tips you might have on the area...where's good and where's not, the more specific you can be the better!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Gizz wrote: »
    HI
    young professional lady thinking of buying a house in crumlin, but getting very mixed reviews.

Just wondering if anyone could tell me the NO GO streets? I've looked at houses on Windmill Avenue, Kildare Road, and Clonmacnoise....

I'd really appreciate any tips you might have on the area...where's good and where's not, the more specific you can be the better!

Thanks!

Well i am from Crumlin so i can help you there, the "NO GO" areas for yourself would be........................Crumlin as a whole and let me tell you why. I am sick to my back teeth of you "young professionals" looking down your nose at my home. Show me anywhere in Ireland....no actually on the planet where there are no bad apples. There are bigger crooks in d4 areas then in Crumlin and being frankly honest i would rather be from Crumlin any day.

But sure i must be a junkie criminal because of where i am from yes? At the very least a thief, eh no i have never been in trouble with the police in my life, have never taken an illegal drug in my life (not even the legal ones except morphine after an operation or regular painkillers tbh) and i am the youngest person in the history of my parish to read at sunday mass. I have spent some TEN years of my life doing parochial and other types of volunteer work and have even represented Ireland at two global events in the volunteer field. I am an honours degree student putting myself through university in order to become a doctor and you know where i will be going when i am done? Right back to Crumlin in order to help my own people.

So you and the rest of the holier then thou "young professionals" can keep to yourselves, or you can come to Crumlin and wonder why when you look down your nose at the regular folk, you will be reviled in the way you deserve by the open honest people that make Crumlin what it is

Oh please get over yourself...always the victim! aren't you just fantastic?!

I'm not from dublin and just wondered if there were particular areas, which one person from Crumlin told me there is which I should not look to moving too due to well known criminals living in the area....

I KNOW there are a few bad apples in every area....hence why I was asking whether or not particular parts of crumlin were known to have these!

I like Crumlin, it's location and amenities that's why I'm looking to buy there! But as this is the biggest thing I'll ever purchase I was looking for local residents to give me some tips! Thanks!

And also you're the one whose stereotyping...took an instant disliking to me because I said I was a young professional...well you'll be one too...does that mean you'll too be a snob? And you'll have local residents telling you not to move back to the area!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

I lived there a few years ago, Mourne road is always very quiet, Galtymore road is quiet most the time but has its moments as does Keeper road.

Brickfield park would be a place to avoid at night but fine in the daytime.

Benmadigan road and Dromard road are area's that I would avoid(at least they were when I lived there) everywhere else is fine.

hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Oh please get over yourself...always the victim! aren't you just fantastic?!

I'm not from dublin and just wondered if there were particular areas, which one person from Crumlin told me there is which I should not look to moving too due to well known criminals living in the area....

I KNOW there are a few bad apples in every area....hence why I was asking whether or not particular parts of crumlin were known to have these!

I like Crumlin, it's location and amenities that's why I'm looking to buy there! But as this is the biggest thing I'll ever purchase I was looking for local residents to give me some tips! Thanks!
    And also you're the one whose stereotyping...took an instant disliking to me because I said I was a young professional...well you'll be one too...does that mean you'll too be a snob? And you'll have local residents telling you not to move back to the area!

You called yourself a young professional i made a comment based on that............actually you know what, aint worth it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Jeez, lads, relax. Tone it down a notch.

Gizz, based on GAAman's replies -are you sure you want to live in an area like that?

Tell us your budget and I bet people can suggest lots of south dublin(or west) areas for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aoboa

Drimnagh is a good area.
    Yeah - it's got some issues that might freak you out if you grew up in the leafy south dublin suburbs but it's fine. Good neighbours, great facilities and amenities, some parks and 5 minutes from town.
    If you're freaked out by kids playing football on the street or going 'howya mista' then buy an apartment somewhere boring.
    No problem walking around at any time of day. If teenagers hanging around freaks you out then buy somewhere away from the strips of shops that dot the area.
    Grew up in D12 and have lived in Drimnagh for 10 years. Never had any real problems.

and @Tragedy: Obviously talking from experience there :rolleyes:
    There are a huge amount of 'young professionals' in the area.
    I can't think of anywhere with the same level of amenities and services a bit further out where you could buy for the same money.

Just to echo a few of the helpful replies.
    The best thing to do is if you see a house you like then drive by for a few nights. Park the car and talk a walk at night down the road you're looking at at night.
    If you feel comfortable then go for it.

aoboa wrote: »
    and @Tragedy: Obviously talking from experience there :rolleyes:
    There are a huge amount of 'young professionals' in the area.
    I can't think of anywhere with the same level of amenities and services a bit further out where you could buy for the same money.
    What? I pointed out that a resident of the area turned into a nutty fruitloop because a "young professional" professed interest in moving to the area - isn't exactly the best indicator.

FYI - Work in Crumlin, Dad's from Drimnagh and have 4 aunt's/uncles living in both.

Tragedy wrote: »
    What? I pointed out that a resident of the area turned into a nutty fruitloop because a "young professional" professed interest in moving to the area - isn't exactly the best indicator.

FYI - Work in Crumlin, Dad's from Drimnagh and have 4 aunt's/uncles living in both.

Was talking about this post:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62741202&postcount=6

aoboa wrote: »
    I see, my mistake!. Welp, in my experience in the area I know no influx of young professionals in the area, and I don't know any amazing amenities that Drimnagh has that most other areas in Dublin don't.

I see, my mistake!. Welp, in my experience in the area I know no influx of young professionals in the area, and I don't know any amazing amenities that Drimnagh has that most other areas in Dublin don't.

Personally I know a huge amount of people spread from Crumlin through Drimnagh to Rialto who would fall into the 'young professional' catagory. Left and right and across the road from me would qualify as 'young professionals'.

And amenities - plenty of schools, two swimming pools, numerous parks, 2 superquinns, 2 dunnes, 1 tescos, aldi, lidl, every type of hospital, 10 minutes by bus or luas to the city centre, some okay pubs, etc, etc, etc.

Yeah - it's not *insert dream place to live* but it's got a sense of community and personality and it's a whole lot better than living in some new estate out in the wilds of Dublin or beyond like a lot of miserable people I know who are also 'young professionals'.

Me, I love it and really can't think of anywhere else in Dublin that beats it for the same money.

Most of the amenities you listed are in surrounding areas. And it's 20mins to Dame street minimum on the buses for me(and can be longer depending).

• Advertisement

Thanks to everyone there for helpful replies....

my budget is approx 220k which really isn't alot....have seen a great house in Crumlin ideal for me....just still unsure about the area. It's not I suppose that I don't think I'd be safe there....alot has to do with other peoples perceptions, for example if I want to resell in a few years.......

Would welcome suggestions of other areas?

I've been and met 3 lots of neighbours who seem nice and who said they haven't had any trouble....also going to ask the local TD and Guards about the particular road...short of that think I might just have to take the leap....

Where are you working?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I know this thread's a few months old but I didn't want to start a new one when it's covering what I'm asking. :o
    Just wondering about the Mangerton Road area of Drimnagh, if any locals have any thoughts? Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 postman prat

As has already been said most of D12 is sound but you can have the misfortune like a friend of mine to buy a house next door to a scumbag young drugpusher whose house gets shot up weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bubz32

hi, im thinking of transfaring down to kildare park , and was wondering weather anyone could give me an idea of what it is like. i was living in drimnagh before and apart from a few local hooligans i liked it and the kids loved the school . i just want to make sure we wont be going from the frying pan into the fire so to speak for the kids sake . any info would be greatly appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Forhon

It's not on the up, and talk of young professionals moving in is - to put it politely - horse****.

There are nicer places to buy for the same money, you'll just have to move out a bit further from the centre of town.

If you want my advice, don't buy in Drimnagh.

Tragedy how dear u say drimnagh is horrible i have lived there all my life and nobody except for the odd group of teens have ever started trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bo36

Hi All,

Just to add my 2 cents worth. I recently bought in the area not far from the Children Hospital. We probably paid top dollar at the time for a semi-detached house. I must say for the most part living here has been a pleasure. I see the houses here as exceptional value for money considering their proximity to the city/M50, and probably a solid investment.

Access to the city center is easy and plentiful (Bus & Luas nearby). The houses themselves are solid, especially those without the dodgy extensions! We viewed many before eventually settling on one, and they were mostly similar in style. All badly insulated of course goes without saying (1930's builds) but that is a easy enough remedy now with external insulation/Government grants etc.

When it comes to the area itself we have some fantastic neighbors. We keep to ourselves, and they do too, but always a friendly wave in the morning/evening, chat in the garden if outside etc.

I note it has been mentioned earlier in the thread about kids/teens hanging around causing a bit of a nuisance, and yes we have witnessed this too. But to be fair, in our experience it has been mostly innocent enough behavior. Some are mouthy, granted and unfortunately there is a house near us with 7+ kids under 15 living under the one roof who are shunted out to the green for the day. But again for the most part the mischief they would be up to does not impact anyone.

There is only one thing really that has disappointing us living here and that is the litter. It is quite bad. I moved to Dublin 12 from Dublin 1, and the litter out here is worse than it was in the City center. The Tidy Towns crew do their best (Tidy Drimnagh) and we and our neighbors do our bit to clear up but that is certainly an issue especially in the summer months.

If you were thinking of moving to the area, similar to the the suggestions in the thread, check out the area over the course of a week or two at different times. Knock into the neighbors, check out who owns adjoining properties on the Land registry, and a good google of the street name will show up and issues.

There are a good few houses let/rented around here, but I would not let that put you off. From our experience again, they are well looked after, people have been renting them for years. Closer to the Children hospital seems to be the more in demand area, reflected in prices/rents and the quick turn around in house sales.

From my experience the area has come a long way. Those who would "gasp" at the prospect of moving to the area probably haven't been out here in 10+ years. Nice coffee shops, pubs, restaurants, barbers etc are popping up every week now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Maestro123

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has info on the expected completion date of the new Davitt apartments on the old Dulux factory site? Can't find anything online about when they're expected to be finished!

I'm looking to buy a house near there in east Drimnagh - I'm hoping it'll add a few more cafés/shops to the area and generally add to the area a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Maestro123 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has info on the expected completion date of the new Davitt apartments on the old Dulux factory site? Can't find anything online about when they're expected to be finished!

I'm looking to buy a house near there in east Drimnagh - I'm hoping it'll add a few more cafés/shops to the area and generally add to the area a bit!

"East Drimnagh" ?? Is that West Harolds Cross ? Are you an Estate Agent?

• Advertisement
Advertisement