Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

700 CRC errors per minute on DSL

Options
  • 26-11-2007 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I'm getting a crazy amount of CRC errors with an eircom adsl line (~700 per minute).
    Usually the line is fine but it gets unreliable an odd time.
    Occassionally the line goes up and down for an hour or so.
    An eircom guy came out and tested the line but found no problems.
    Of course it was up when he tested it and couldn't stick around to test it if it went down.

Here are the DSL stats from the Netopia router with an Uptime of 80 minutes:

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 6.50 18.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 42.00 25.00
    CRC Errors 58917 5

I have seen the SN margin drop below 0 for a few seconds.
    Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Sounds daft but get off the eircom network... They share your line with up to 47 other users as far as I know and this can have dramatic effects on your line at peak times. Also you may be on old copper thats not up to the job. If your in a city maybe look at alternative options in your in rural you could consider a move to BT or someone who only share the line with 28 other users. Only other advise is upgrade the router OS. That has helped me before when I had cranky boxes. Worst case get on to eircom an demand a replacement router.

Sorry I cant give you any better help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Check to see your signal quality when it is raining. When I had adsl in Cork any time it rained heavily my connection went to hell..... luckily it turned out to be the last 100meters from my house to the local cabinet. In my case, my phone line stopped working a couple of times (ducting under the footpath flooded) and eircom came out and replaced the line..... perfect connection after that .... but remember that this was back in the days of 512kb downstream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

FusionNet wrote: »
    Sounds daft but get off the eircom network... They share your line with up to 47 other users as far as I know and this can have dramatic effects on your line at peak times. Only other advise is upgrade the router OS. That has helped me before when I had cranky boxes.

I think the OP may be on the 3Mb package the contention ratio for that is 24:1 the other packages have the 48:1 ratio. BT also use a 48:1 ratio on their Basic and Value offers. I'm not sure if upgrading the firmware on the router would help in this case it looks like it may be a problem with the phone line itself.

Cheers
    Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

It could be caused by something inside your house too. Unplug all the phones in the house or anything else that is connected to the phone line like sky etc and see how you get on then. You could also try a different filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

chop wrote: »
    I'm getting a crazy amount of CRC errors with an eircom adsl line (~700 per minute).
    Usually the line is fine but it gets unreliable an odd time.
    Occassionally the line goes up and down for an hour or so.
    An eircom guy came out and tested the line but found no problems.
    Of course it was up when he tested it and couldn't stick around to test it if it went down.

Here are the DSL stats from the Netopia router with an Uptime of 80 minutes:

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 6.50 18.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 42.00 25.00
    CRC Errors 58917 5

I have seen the SN margin drop below 0 for a few seconds.
    Any advice?

Your line is not capable of handling a 3meg connection. The only real solution is to downgrade your package.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 chop

Thanks for the advice everyone, you guys are awesome!
    I feel so angry for all the other people paying for terrible broadband service that they are not getting, but either don't realise it or dont know who to talk to about it.

Internet access could be and should be something that "just works", like telephones and electricity. Even more so with Internet access since it could be set up to report problems automatically at every link in the chain. I wish ISPs were tied to the sort of 99.99% uptime that is expected web hosting companies. We need more comregs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

chop wrote: »
    We need more comregs.
    we don't need more regs
    we'd only need one if it was effective

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭merkuree

suspect a layer 1 problem.....cable, connection.....copper

Advertisement