Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robot Army

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

We are way ahead of you on the Military Forum....;)

Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

yeah the american's have some ridiculously amazing projects in the works... from using light emitting materials to "cloak" soldiers similar to a video game to genetically modifying goats so their milk contains the proteins found in spiders silk so they can use them to create lightweight armour or some ****...

if you can think it up, they are doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Blasted civilians!
    if you can think it up, they are doing it.

Training eagles to transport soldiers across difficult terrain? Didn't think so.

Although I suppose they're not going to tell us about all their secret weapons. The media nearly caught onto their Man-Eating Badger program (codename: BADGE), but they denied involvement.

Gotta keep your cards close to your chest in this day and age, can't have the Russians trumping the badgers with something even more dangerous. The Indian Intelligence Agency are already training monkeys to work as assassins. Their first mission was a success.

One of these days Mahmoud Ahmadinejad will be sitting in his office reading the morning paper, and a monkey will swing in through the window and eat his FACE!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

yeah the american's have some ridiculously amazing projects in the works... from using light emitting materials to "cloak" soldiers similar to a video game

In fairness, the British are leading in this one. They unveiled an invisible tank last month. Or they claim to have, nobody actually saw it.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,306678,00.html

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=490669&in_page_id=1770

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

The one thing missing from the exoskeleton video was the soldier using the added strength to punch through a brick wall.

Also, OMG Robocop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

To be honest we're all pretty f**ked if the US army get their hand on this suit. Nothing could stop an army kitted with that stuff..... :eek:

Well maybe a Platoon of GM Super Honey Badgers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Such a waste putting that sort of innovation to military use.

Like almost every other military technology, it will be adapted for civilian use. After the military spends all the cash sorting out the bugs.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

everything (nearly) goes to military use before civilian use. Simple facts. Examples: GPS, Nuclear Power, Jet Propulsion, etc. etc.

Let the military prototype it. eventually it will be commercial as hell. Dockloaders, construction EXOs, etc. etc. possibilities are endless: if they can miniaturize the technology theres no limit.

think Ironman: http://www.ironmanmovie.com <-- firther off yet but cmon.... how long would it honestly take?

KTRIC wrote: »
    To be honest we're all pretty f**ked if the US army get their hand on this suit. Nothing could stop an army kitted with that stuff..... :eek:

Well maybe a Platoon of GM Super Honey Badgers :D

I'm pretty sure other armies would come up with something similar to combat that.

• Advertisement

Like almost every other military technology, it will be adapted for civilian use. After the military spends all the cash sorting out the bugs.

NTM

I suppose that's true. It's difficult for me to understand how they can pump such vast sums of money into projects like that, with primary uses such as being able to load missiles or support heavy armour. It seams very childish when you consider how useful it could be to the fire services for clearing debris from an accident scene just for example.

And doubtless that will be one of the uses to which it will be put, once all the development costs have been squared away.

It just happens that the military tends to have the development budget, and the fire services just have a procurement budget. I don't think it really matters from the fire service's point of view who pays for the development as long as it's not yet in an affordable and practical condition for usage. It also helps that these are generally developments by private companies, and they will target the people with the biggest pocket books first. They could probably sell a hundred thousand of these things to the military, but maybe only tens of thousands to civilian agencies.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

yeah seriously: think about WWI in regards to bunker/trench warfare - and flamethrowers. Who do you think got the benefit of improvements in flame resistance first? Huh?

It just happens that the military tends to have the development budget, and the fire services just have a procurement budget. I don't think it really matters from the fire service's point of view who pays for the development as long as it's not yet in an affordable and practical condition for usage. It also helps that these are generally developments by private companies, and they will target the people with the biggest pocket books first. They could probably sell a hundred thousand of these things to the military, but maybe only tens of thousands to civilian agencies.

NTM

That's my point, the military have the development budget. The civilian applications, though numerous and of great benefit, are incidental. I could understand it if invasion was imminent or the domestic situation was rosy but it just seems crazy to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 psilocin

Who the hell wants their freedom defended by the firebrigade? I want to be assured that democracy is being spread by these financial black holes. So many promises have been made and broken in the past...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Yeah that's all well and good, but where is the robot that can kill defenceless little brown people 10 times quicker??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Pigman II wrote: »
    Yeah that's all well and good, but where is the robot that can kill defenceless little brown people 10 times quicker??
    I'm sure it's in the works.

As soon as that Iraqi oil is gone, they'll hit Nigeria.

Advertisement