Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Daft Punk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭lucyburn

One of my favourite bands:)
    Really good to dance to and i really love to dance:)
    My favouite song would be from the new album "Robot Rock",i love that song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i despise daft punk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Helix wrote: »
    i despise daft punk

ye but your a musical nazi for all the moderates out there they are appealing

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Jonathanpbk

i despise daft punk

fair enough, but personally, i cant see whats not to like!

If you don't like their recent stuff, try homework (their first album) or vice-versa! their stuff has changed a fair bit over the years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I don't despise Daft Punk but I find them boring. I've started to dislike them since seeing this infamous video:

• Advertisement

try homework

i always found homework to be one of the blandest and most overrated albums ive ever heard to be honest (bar a couple of belters on it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Daft punk are passed it now ,they use to be one of the best live acts.
    Now they're just boring.

_Brian_ wrote: »
    Now they're just boring.

I couldn't disagree with you anymore.
    They are one of the best live acts i've ever seen and definitely not boring.

playing the exact same set for over a year isnt boring?

playing the exact same set for over a year isnt boring?

Not if you only see them once a year. And most bands do that anyway just change the order they play them in.

It's OK if you find them boring, it's just that i disagree with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Although I would be quick to admit that the exact same live set for years (which probably isnt all that live in the first place) is a bit on the lazy side it hasnt stopped me having a blast each and every time ive seen them. I think they have made some really great music (some touch and go too). Particular fav of mine is crescendolls and particularly the soulwax remix of it.

Some of their songs are just musical rape though in terms of sampling. Often they do very little creative with their samples at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

They're doing a live chat tomorrow at 5pm on daftalive.com if anybody is interested. You have to pre register beforehand.
    MikeHoncho wrote: »
    Although I would be quick to admit that the exact same live set for years
    They've been touring for years now?

There is an interview with them in clash magazine at the moment where they mention how their live setup works. They're on the cover, if you can still find the issue. They seem to trigger in loops during the tracks. You can hear slight differences when you compare bootlegs. It's just a dj set afterall though so its not bad IMO. They use a Moog voyager live too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

I like Daft Punk but they would be way down the pecking order when it comes to other groups like Basement Jaxx who out on an amazing live show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭fuse

I like daft punk, but have a lot less respect for them after I saw & heard this ...
    http://palmsout.blogspot.com/2007/02/sample-wednesday-27-daft-punk.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=4275660658800832791

When daft punk rocked /\ /\ /\

Bangalter Djing in a lil sweaty club in Wisconsin back in 96, when french house was bloody rockin, oops, that his face? :)

All the stuff after homework is gash if ya ask me.....

aphex™ wrote: »
    They're doing a live chat tomorrow at 5pm on daftalive.com if anybody is interested. You have to pre register beforehand.

They've been touring for years now?

Sorry I saw them 3 times in the space of about 12 months (never realised it was that short a time frame). Thats a bit sad isnt it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Sorry I saw them 3 times in the space of about 12 months (never realised it was that short a time frame). Thats a bit sad isnt it?

Not sad. Only saw them once myself sadly. But its all the same tour, to be fair to them. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭halfinch

Saw them three times myself it was fantastic....Heard a rumour they are playing under the eiffel tower on new years eve....anyone hear anything

One of them is retiring anyway....hes going deaf

aphex™ wrote: »
    They use a Moog voyager live too.

only as a glorified filter box

lucyburn wrote: »
    Not if you only see them once a year. And most bands do that anyway just change the order they play them in.

It's OK if you find them boring, it's just that i disagree with you.

good bands dont do that tho

good bands will always be changing their playlist

take radiohead for example

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Human After All

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mallubear

Now they're just boring.

Human After All Is Not Boring Or Any Of Their Songs Recently The Song Itself Is Brilliant!

my favorite Daft Punk song is either Digital Love voyager or something about us

mallubear wrote: »
    Human After All Is Not Boring Or Any Of Their Songs Recently The Song Itself Is Brilliant!

The op ,sounded like daft punk was a new band that no one knew about.

I had numerous vinyl from daft punk ,years ago.
    My favourite was simple and effecient and I heard it played by carl cox in the point ,it was the first tune he played back many moons ago

Don't preach to me about a band that I've listened to for over fiftheen years.

ah here

human after all is one of the most boring albums ive ever heard

it sounds like an exercise in "i wonder if we can put on the same loop for 5 minutes at a time and still get people to buy this nonsense"

utter, utter crap

thats an example of why i dont like daft punk

that track is complete and utter nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Jonathanpbk

That tune is amazing!
    Epitome of electro-house, well before it's time!

thats an example of why i dont like daft punk

that track is complete and utter nonsense

Good ,I'm glad .

That tune is amazing!
    Epitome of electro-house, well before it's time!

its tripe that does absolutely nothing

pretty much like the rest of daft punks tracks bar a couple

• Advertisement

Ah Helix, little Harsh on the punk maybe? I can see where your coming from with a lot of repitition on the albums but lets say MOST tracks are good, and as far the live sets...some of the best i've ever witnessed or heard

maybe im just being old fashioned but i prefer live sets to be, well, live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

maybe im just being old fashioned but i prefer live sets to be, well, live

fair enough but in the electronic music scene I think the term 'live' needs to be re-defined against the conventional sense of the word. OK, you go see a band (guitars, drums, vox etc) live and you see all those instruments being played but take electronic groups like Chemical Brothers (2 lads!), The Prodigy (Liam on the keyboards), Orbital etc etc...you will notice that a lot of the music has to be played from memory banks due to the very nature of the way it was written, produced and recorded in the first place.

If you ever take a look in Daft Punk's Pyramid you will see a few Moog synthesizers (meaning they so some live playing!), Midi Controllers for controlling samples from something like Ableton running on a laptop (I was amazed to see they seem to be using Behringer BCR 2000..risky lads!)....I am not too tech savvy so forgive me if I am inaccurate here.

Anyway, what I am saying is they do not just step on stage and press play and bop their little robot heads about for an hour or so. Ever since I started messin around with my midi controller at home I have a new found respect for all bands performing electronic music live.

If you ever take a look in Daft Punk's Pyramid you will see a few Moog synthesizers (meaning they so some live playing!), Midi Controllers for controlling samples from something like Ableton running on a laptop (I was amazed to see they seem to be using Behringer BCR 2000..risky lads!)....I am not too tech savvy so forgive me if I am inaccurate here.

Anyway, what I am saying is they do not just step on stage and press play and bop their little robot heads about for an hour or so. Ever since I started messin around with my midi controller at home I have a new found respect for all bands performing electronic music live.

ok the moogs are used as filter boxes essentially

notice that theres not one single not input device in the entire setup, meaning that EVERYTHING apart from effects is 100% presequenced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

What's this? Using samples in electronic music shocker!

Daft punk are class, although I've listened to they're albums so much at this stage I've gotten board with them.

Any one know anything along the same lines as them. I don't follow music as such never read anything so I don't know whats "hip" and what's "not".

ScumLord wrote: »
    What's this? Using samples in electronic music shocker!

Daft punk are class, although I've listened to they're albums so much at this stage I've gotten board with them.

Any one know anything along the same lines as them. I don't follow music as such never read anything so I don't know whats "hip" and what's "not".

Try Justice. Their album Cross is a stormer. Helix should be along to tear me a new one here as im guessing any of the critiscisms he has aimed at Daft Punk he can aim at Justice too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Ah nice one don't think I've ever listened to them.

M8s going to Justice on saturday....git

Helix should be along to tear me a new one here as im guessing any of the critiscisms he has aimed at Daft Punk he can aim at Justice too.

lol pretty much

i cant actually put into words how much i hate justice, so i wont try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭jimmychin

daft punk were originators of their particular electro house rock and therefore require respect.

however, i was in marley park last year adn they were a bit dissapointing live.
    looking at two robot heads is not very 'entertaining' - the beats rocked though!

i then caught them doing the exact same set at another rainy festival and the crowd were loving it.

as run forest run says live electronic music in its very nature is very different to your standard band so cannot be compared as such.

its the subtle differences, the crazy doubled up loops, the filtering of sound, the build ups, the drops, the edits etc etc.

@ Helix - how you can even mention Radiohead in an electronic forum is beyond comprehension ? (dont get me wrong i like radiohead but you cannot compare to daft punk, competely different genre)

jimmychin wrote: »
    how you can even mention Radiohead in an electronic forum is beyond comprehension ?

are you for real?

is the bends the extent of your exposure to them or something?

• Advertisement

jimmychin wrote: »

how you can even mention Radiohead in an electronic forum is beyond comprehension ? (dont get me wrong i like radiohead but you cannot compare to daft punk, competely different genre)

Man if you think that you should really pick up a copy of any of their last 4 albums or The Eraser Thoms solo album. Radiohead are very inovative when it comes to the use of electronics in their music.

im not a big fan of radiohead myself justice are quite good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Radiohead did far more for electronic music than Daft Punk ever did. Their tunes are ok at a party or whatever but they're pretty shallow IMO.

im not a big fan of radiohead myself justice are quite good

so much wrong with that i lolled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

there is a very high possibility that all that gear is merely a PR trick after it was alleged that Daft Punk were doing nothing on stage.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories and I have seen daft Punk live, and I really don't think the moog voyagers are being used for anything on stage. They say it's for filtering and whatnot but why use a 4 grand synth just for its filters?
    also, having bcr 2000's beside the voyagers is a bit weird. And they said about supercomputers running off stage etc.

There is something very fishy about that article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭The C Kid

The Daft Punk live act is a bit more than just the music. They have pretty much always been as much about the visual as the audio aspect of their music.

The whole Pyramid and light show is pretty cool too. Also the One More Time/Aerodynamic mix is just sick. Mashing up two of your own songs is hilarious.

Also its been rumoured for a long time that Human After All was an album that they dropped as a way of getting out of their record deal with Virgin. Would kind of fit in with ironic title.

If you like Daft Punk there's a new French act "Danger" who sounds very much like them just dropped his debut EP on Electroshock, names all his songs after times of the day. Again he's very much into the graphic design/ visual side too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭walt0r

Theyre absolute rubbish. Don't even rate the majority of their tracks I hear.

Do the people who have said Daft punk are crap ,actually dance ?
    Or are they couch music listeners ?

i dance, i just dont get daft punk

they were important yes, but that doesnt mean they were good

stuff like rollin & scratchin

i mean wtf

its complete and utter crap, yet people rave about it

yeah rave about da funk or around the world, theyre belters, or burnin even, but not bland, movementless, soulless, emotionless, vibeless nonsense like the majority of their stuff

youd swear they were allergic to groove

yeah

• Advertisement
Advertisement