Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alfa: To buy or not to buy?

Options
  • 26-11-2007 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

Thinking of changing my car in the summer and am looking at Alfa 147's at the moment as its the only car in my price range (€6000ish) that i actually like!

Here's two such Alfa's I've been looking at:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=841191
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=796995

I have a 00 Opel Astra at the moment and its fine and dandy but the mileage is starting to stack up plus I'd prefer a car with a bit more character.

My main reservation is the reputation Alfa have for reliability or lack there of :D would an Alfa 147 really be that bad? I would be using it every day and putting a fair amount of mileage on it so reliability is relatively important.

Anyone got an Alfa 147? what are they like to live with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

If you doing a fair bit of miles get a diesel...cheaper running and servicing costs...More fun to drive as well :D
    Just nipping out to get my Tinfoil hat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

I can hear the predictable onslaught approaching :rolleyes:

book a test drive mate, nevermind the naysayers, keep an eye on the oil levels and enjoy :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

I've been thinking of getting a 147 lately to but i'm also wondering about the predictability!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 simplybetter

Hay dceire,

I bought one that was 6 months old about 5 years ago, I have had no problems with it all. Love driving it - it is a bit thirsty to be honest ... but for a 1.6 back in 01 to give 120 bhp something has to give !!

Servicing is not that bad, minor service cost me €168 (40 k milles).
    You won't see any cars for that kind of money as high a spec. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

A mate of mine is selling a lovely 2000 156 t-spark,100k, timing belts done at 70k silver,spoiler,alloys,flipdown cd,etc - for around 2,500 euros - not much dearer to run than the 147 but bigger and nicer IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

100k, timing belts done at 70k

So they need to be done again at 106k...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

dont do it man! :)

Alfa are not the best, get a Toyota :)
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Have you considered an Octavia.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 liljenny

my bf has an alfa 146 boxer and its a great car, he has done long distance trips in it not a bother, bit heavy on juice but still good car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

You don't ask reliability questions when buying an Alfa.

You form a partnership with an alfa meaning you take very good care of it and it rewards you the best drive you can buy for an every day car.

If you don't want the hassle buy another astra.

Now im sure lots of people will wonder what the hell i'm on but car lovers love alfa for the same reason that they hate corollas. One is a confused love affair one is an empty fridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

egan007 wrote: »
    One is a confused love affair one is an empty fridge.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

TBH I'm a bit concerned that you're looking on a 147 as a cheap car within your price range of €6000. They're a lovely car but a cheap Alfa is a false economy, and €6000 won't get you a great example.

EDIT: Actually, those two you're considering do look nice, the price on them has fallen since I was last in the market for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

egan007 wrote: »
    You don't ask reliability questions when buying an Alfa.

You form a partnership with an alfa meaning you take very good care of it and it rewards you the best drive you can buy for an every day car.

If you don't want the hassle buy another astra.

Now im sure lots of people will wonder what the hell i'm on but car lovers love alfa for the same reason that they hate corollas. One is a confused love affair one is an empty fridge.

perfect, absolutely perfect :cool::D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

had a 156, not bad, heavy on thejuice though.
    Didnt really have many issues with it, drove it to london and back too and put up some serious mileage on it.
    The belt change is the most expensive services.

i would recomend alfas for fun driving and very fast.

Advertisement