Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preferred supermarket

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I tend to use Dunnes and Aldi in Westside. The girlfriend uses Tesco and Lidl occasionally. I also use local butchers, and the market on a Saturday.

Went to Dunnes in Briarhill a couple of weeks ago, and got oversharged for an item. Brought it to the attention of customer service, and ended up with a refund AND got to keep the item. Must go back and see if they'll overcharge me for one of their 42" TVs....

As for Kumarket; everything out of date all of the time!!! Buy their meat at your peril!
    H Williams didn't last very long. Anyone remember when we had a Woolworth in Eyre Square? Or Quinnsworth?

Someone mentioned Superquinn earlier. Isn't it's main shareholder a Galway businessman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Fey! wrote: »
    Isn't it's main shareholder a Galway businessman?

don't think he's the main shareholder. but yeah, it's yer man who owns Buskers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Dalfiatach

The quality of the food in Galway supermarkets is feckin awful. Most Irish people think it's grand cos they've never lived in other countries and don't know any better, but if you've lived abroad you know that the "food" we get sold here is pure sh!te.

Even the small local butchers and greengrocers aren't exactly the best.

The meat especially is ganking putrid crap altogether, especially the offal they serve up in Dunnes, Tesco etc. I wouldn't feed it to me dog back home.

Speaking of home, the difference in quality of meat especially but also fruit and veg between Galway (or Dublin, lived there too once upon a time) and Donegal/Derry is shocking. Anywhere around Letterkenny, Inishowen or Derry I know loads of great butchers and greengrocers that provide great stuff, locally-produced where possible, at a reasonable price. The food is just far, far better in the NW.

I've lived in the US, Switzerland and Ingerlund too over the decades, and travelled to many many countries. The food in Galway is one step up from raw sewage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Dalfiatach wrote: »

Speaking of home, the difference in quality of meat especially but also fruit and veg between Galway (or Dublin, lived there too once upon a time) and Donegal/Derry is shocking. Anywhere around Letterkenny, Inishowen or Derry I know loads of great butchers and greengrocers that provide great stuff, locally-produced where possible, at a reasonable price. The food is just far, far better in the NW.

I disagree with you there, there are several decent and a couple of excellent Butchers in and around Galway, locally sourced meat, and in the case of beef properly hung etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Dalfiatach wrote: »
    The quality of the food in Galway supermarkets is feckin awful. Most Irish people think it's grand cos they've never lived in other countries and don't know any better, but if you've lived abroad you know that the "food" we get sold here is pure sh!te.

Even the small local butchers and greengrocers aren't exactly the best.

The meat especially is ganking putrid crap altogether, especially the offal they serve up in Dunnes, Tesco etc. I wouldn't feed it to me dog back home.

I've lived in the US, Switzerland and Ingerlund too over the decades, and travelled to many many countries. The food in Galway is one step up from raw sewage.

A bit OTT there mate.;)
    If you want good meat there are two well known champion butchers in Galway.
    As for fruit and veg if you want good local in season produce hit the market.

• Advertisement

Lidl is my favourite, solely for price. It's about 2 minutes away from me, so I go there every week or so - I mean c'mon, 1euro50 for a 2 litre bottle of Pepsi!

But also, I find that had I bought similar stuff in Dunnes, it would've been twice the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I remember working in Dunnes, they had a newspaper article above the clocking machine. Article about rotten meat in Joyce's or something. Cheap ploy as you couldn't miss it when clocking in so they tried to indoctrinate you against Joyce's.

Advertisement