Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Article 7

Options
  • 26-11-2007 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Can anyone tell me if an "Inspector for Superintendant" can
    sign an article 7 form for the importation of a firearm.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

AFAIK yes. An Article 7 isn't part of the Irish Firearms Acts, it's an EU document.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Justice will accept an inspectors sig but not a lesser rank if your are getting art 11 import (i.e. buying cat b via a a ROI or NI dealer) You will also need to have the FAC signed by a rank of inspector or higher for this.

Not sure what is required if ordering from Germany etc..

Justice will accept an inspectors sig but not a lesser rank if your are getting art 11 import (i.e. buying cat b via a a ROI or NI dealer) You will also need to have the FAC signed by a rank of inspector or higher for this.

If your FAC is the first one it must be signed by a Superintendent. In most import cases, the FAC is the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

rrpc wrote: »
    If your FAC is the first one it must be signed by a Superintendent. In most import cases, the FAC is the first one.

They will accept an isnpector acting for the super but not lower.

They will accept an isnpector acting for the super but not lower.
    Only if the Inspector is an acting Superintendent (i.e. there is no Superintendent).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Hi Sidneyreilly,

I purchased my rifles for target shooting from Germany as well as some deacts. In all cases I bought the rifles and had them sent to me personally.

In the case of live firearms you will need to send a certified copy (can be done by the local gardai station) of your FAC for the firearm (you will have to apply for a FAC for that particular firearm before it is send to you) to the seller in Germany. He/she will record the details of your FAC and send them on to the local authority so that the ownership of the firearm is officially changed in Germany. This will be kept on record. The local authority will then issue a permit (I think it's the A11 but can't remember) to transfer/ship the firearm to the new owner. The German postal service knows what is in the parcel as this permit has to be attached to the outside of the parcel.

At the same time that you send the FAC you also need to send the A7 form or a copy of it to the seller and ask him/her to include it with the parcel.

My experience with this process is very good although it may sound daunting at the beginning. The main point is to do whatever the Superintendent wants you to do and I make sure to keep them updated about every step in the process.

Best,

Preusse

An Article 7 is only required for a Category B firearm. Single shot rifles are not category B, so no article 7 required.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Is there an all singing all dancing document that covers all of this?
    I have a couple of pdfs and word documents from justice.ie and the like but i'm not sure which to go by, theres a few contradictions in there.

kowloon wrote: »
    Is there an all singing all dancing document that covers all of this?
    I have a couple of pdfs and word documents from justice.ie and the like but i'm not sure which to go by, theres a few contradictions in there.

The stuff on the DoJ site is by and large spot on. What sort of contradictions are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

rrpc wrote: »
    An Article 7 is only required for a Category B firearm. Single shot rifles are not category B, so no article 7 required.

Any personal imports within the EC require an Article 7 (for any category of firearm). If you are importing a category B firearm through a dealer you also require an article 7 (because the dealers have been asked to get these from their customers).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

So, to clear this up, correct me if i'm wrong.

In order to import a live firearm you need an article 7, which is the authorisation to import from your superintendent.
    If it's an EU import the article 7 gets you an article 11 from DoJ which is the EU import license.
    You also apply for a Firearms cert and send a copy of that to the seller to be included in the box.

Am i right so far?

For US and Canada do you omit the article 11 but not the article 7?
    Or, do you just need the cert? (Justice have told me three different interpretations of this over the phone)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

kowloon wrote: »
    So, to clear this up, correct me if i'm wrong.

In order to import a live firearm you need an article 7, which is the authorisation to import from your superintendent.
    If it's an EU import the article 7 gets you an article 11 from DoJ which is the EU import license.
    You also apply for a Firearms cert and send a copy of that to the seller to be included in the box.

Am i right so far?

For US and Canada do you omit the article 11 but not the article 7?
    Or, do you just need the cert? (Justice have told me three different interpretations of this over the phone)

I am not sure, kowloon. I was told I only needed the A7 for import from Germany for a live firearm. The seller will have to apply for re-registration of the firearm and for a licence to send the item by post to you. That licence is attached to the outside of the parcel by the seller. It is stamped by the local German authority. The A7 goes inside the parcel. A copy of your firearms cert is not necessarily included in the parcel as it is mainl used by the seller to re-register the firearm in your name with your details. Any firearm purchased in Germany by you will be registered in your name with your details and kept at the local authority.

Advertisement