Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A7 Authority from

Options
  • 26-11-2007 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

gentlemen,

what is the story with the A7 authority form for importing firearms??

i asked my local FAO for one and he said they dont have them and didnt know much about them..........

so i said i would do some research and find out them i need to know where i go to get one and what info etc i need for the form itself and who has to sign it??

thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It's the Gardai's responsibility to get you one Peter, and it's not an application - if you've been granted the licence for a firearm, you're legally entitled to two extra things; a Europass for that firearm, and an article 11 (which in Ireland is for some daft reason an article 7).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

cheers sparks just said id see what the craic was the FAO is doing the same so he should sort it have the licence alright just need that now.........

thanks agian:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Sparks wrote: »
    It's the Gardai's responsibility to get you one Peter, and it's not an application - if you've been granted the licence for a firearm, you're legally entitled to two extra things; a Europass for that firearm, and an article 11 (which in Ireland is for some daft reason an article 7).

Has the Europass thing got a default ammo limit of 500 Rounds ?
    Can the super make it less than 500 if it does?
    And can a super refuse you one if you have a FAC already?

Reason I ask as 3-4 months after ringing/writing for an ammo increase
    from 100 to 500 my local Super is refusing me. He will grant me 200 but not
    (Rifle is fine, moderator is fine, 100 and 200 rnds are fine but not 500
    I have not got a clue where he is getting his reasoning/logic from)

Said it was becuase I did not have an alarm!!!!
    So....Bought a yale alarm today with an autodialler not that I could
    afford it but thats what credit cards are for .....but I have heard
    it wont work with Smart Telecom /Voip providers.
    Wont know yet until I figure out how to install it.

~B

will give you 200 hundred with out an alarm but not 500 whats the difference if someone was to rob it 200 would still do alot of damage:confused:

bullets wrote: »
    Has the Europass thing got a default ammo limit of 500 Rounds ?
    Last I checked, yes.
    Can the super make it less than 500 if it does?
    I don't think so - but it's a gray area. I see where you're heading bullets, but I don't know if it'd work or not. You might contact the NARGC and see if they've ever had a case like that to see if there's precedent.
    And can a super refuse you one if you have a FAC already?
    No, it's a legal entitlement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Cheers for the info.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

How do you go about getting a europass.
    Cheers.

Walk into your local station with your licence and ask for one boc.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Got new FAO this year, no idea what article 7 was, couldnt find reference to it or the form. Ended up photocopying and old one with the details blanked. Did the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

The article 7 you're talking about is an importation permit you get from the department of justice. You can get the application form on their website and you fill in the particulars as they are recorded on your garda issued licence. Getting the paperwork from the DOJ shouldn't take much more than 10 days to two weeks according to their website ( last time I looked anyway ). As such it has very little to do with the Garda, their only involvement is issuing your actual licence.

• Advertisement

One for the wishlist actually. Your licence being an importation permit and a Euro pass all in the one or at least issued all at the same time..

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Article 7 not on website unless thats changed? Its to be completed by your local gards.

i was on yesterday looking for it or info on it and there is nothing it just says that you need one to import firearms!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

An article 7 is obtained from your Garda District Office (where your local Superintendent works!). This is an authority to purchase or acquire a firearm or ammunition from another member state. It is NOT an import licence. It needs to be sent to the Dept. of Justice if you are doing a personal import or to your fireams dealer if he/she is doing it on your behalf, if it is a pistol. An article 11 is used by a firearms dealer to import fireams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

fat-tony wrote: »
    An article 7 is obtained from your Garda District Office (where your local Superintendent works!). This is an authority to purchase or acquire a firearm or ammunition from another member state. It is NOT an import licence. It needs to be sent to the Dept. of Justice if you are doing a personal import or to your fireams dealer if he/she is doing it on your behalf, if it is a pistol. An article 11 is used by a firearms dealer to import fireams.

Just to reinforce that point, an article 7 is only required for category B firearms. See this post for a list of category B firearms.

rrpc wrote: »
    Just to reinforce that point, an article 7 is only required for category B firearms. See this post for a list of category B firearms.

articule 7 its is for me so:D

Would I be correct in assuming that if I wanted to buy let's say a standard over and under hunting shotgun or bolt action rifle in Luxemburg that I can get it licenced by the Garda, get the Europass fly over collect it and bring it in only on the licence/Euro pass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Would I be correct in assuming that if I wanted to buy let's say a standard over and under hunting shotgun or bolt action rifle in Luxemburg that I can get it licenced by the Garda, get the Europass fly over collect it and bring it in only on the licence/Euro pass?
    Not necessarily. The problems are: Getting a carrier to take your firearm who also flies to the country of your choice, some countries require more than a europass, cost.

It's easier and cheaper to get them to send it here. This can be done usually on production of your FAC (usually a scanned copy by email) and perhaps also a scanned copy of your passport.

Thanks rrpc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

not that I could afford it but thats what credit cards are for ~B

For you the writings on the wall, not to mention the money ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

lads,

Just to clarify.

Article 7 is issued by the Gardai for anyone who holds a FAC for a particular firearm.

The Article 11 is issued by the DOJ. These are usually issued to dealers importing firearms. They can be granted to individuals also but DOJ can refuse you one. The Art 7 from the Gardai is a safe bet as they have to issue you one (ref: section 9 & 11 of S.I. No. 362/1993: EUROPEAN COMMUNITIES (ACQUISITION AND POSSESSION OF WEAPONS AND AMMUNITION) REGULATIONS, 1993.)

Pat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Bought a yale alarm today with an autodialler~B

Think you'll find he/she is referring to a monitored alarm system such as Eircom Phonewatch etc

packas wrote: »
    lads,

Just to clarify.

Article 7 is issued by the Gardai for anyone who holds a FAC for a particular firearm.

The Article 11 is issued by the DOJ. These are usually issued to dealers importing firearms. They can be granted to individuals also but DOJ can refuse you one. The Art 7 from the Gardai is a safe bet as they have to issue you one (ref: section 9 & 11 of S.I. No. 362/1993: EUROPEAN COMMUNITIES (ACQUISITION AND POSSESSION OF WEAPONS AND AMMUNITION) REGULATIONS, 1993.)

Pat.

cheers packas have to ring the fao and let him know that he is newbe.........

Advertisement