Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

marmoset monkeys

Options
  • 26-11-2007 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

hi, i have a few questions on marmoset monkeys. first of all do you need a dwa licence or any other permit to keep one? what size enclosure is best? can you keep more than one together? can they be kept outside in an aviary? does anyone here keep them? i know they are not tamable and i am not going to keep them just to say i have them. i want one because they fascinate me and i would like to own one some day . any advice on their care and husbandry in captivity will be well appreciated. i will be doing alot of research before (if i get one ). thanks everyone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I have 2 males - in Ireland we do not have DWA marmosets are not a cites species - all primates must be kept in pairs or groups!

My guys are in an avairy with a heated bedroom area they have access to 2 avairies that are 12x6x10 high.

You are welcome to come & see my guys & I can offer a lot more advice in the flesh etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 reptileguy16

thanks bond 007, i just have a few more questions. how much do they cost? where is best to get them? are they legal to breed? are they best hand reared from babies or bought as adult? i would be delighted to come visit so could you pm me with your details please? i am taking a trip out to copsewood aviarys in kilmocanogue after christmas to check out their stock . have you any experience dealing with them? thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

My guys were expensive enough & are around the 2-3K mark for a pair - I got my guys from a responsible breeder in Scotland - I had been researching for around 2 years before I got them.

Yes you can breed them - you can keep ANY animal over here the only thing you have to watch is cites animals such as ring tailed lemurs/ververt monkeys etc. You can keep cites species as long as you have the paper work to say they are captive bred etc.

If you want to breed then parent reared animals over 1 year of age is what you need - to rear babies they need to have seen mum & dad rearing young - seeing 2 pregnancies & birth is always good.

Have been to copsewood aviaries once - the primates he keeps look like they are in wonderful condition - was not so happy with the birds especially 3 baby african greys in a small budgie style cage! One was even on its back on the floor (I thought it was dead) so not good in my opinion!

Will pm you my details etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

You mean I can Buy a Monkey?:eek: Here In Ireland? :confused:(lol Dont worry im not gonna rush out and get one, but it's nice to know the options there if I ever have a massive Aviary ):)

Advertisement