Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd Semester Accommodation

Options
  • 26-11-2007 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering how much this is? Saw the thing saying the waiting list goes up next Monday in Merville, tempted to put my name down. Oh, and does this apply to Merville only, yeah? Not that bothered where exactly the accomm. is, just out of curiosity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

there's a waiting list?! would be very tempted to move into merville from goatstown if so. would it be guaranteed? suppose all the erasmus students would be leaving right so there would be a decent amount of space or will more be coming to fill those slots?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

MuddyDog wrote: »
    there's a waiting list?! would be very tempted to move into merville from goatstown if so. would it be guaranteed? suppose all the erasmus students would be leaving right so there would be a decent amount of space or will more be coming to fill those slots?

Its only starting next Monday. Come on, Goatstown isnt far. Not guaranteed, but with people dropping out, erasmus students saying their goodbyes, there'd be a chance. Sure, you cant win if you're not in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

MuddyDog wrote: »

You're forgetting incoming erasmus students...

We had 2 back in 1st year. Nothings guaranteed. You could always ask while you're up there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

The waiting list if for all res, not just merville.

so u just stroll into the merville accomo office and ask to be put down?

• Advertisement

forgot to add....will only 1st years get it?

It says, first years, final year and postgrads. And yes, just stroll in, give them all details which match registration(course, home address, etc.), and you should be on it. Only a waiting list though, no guarantees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Ack.. I was hoping against hope that this would somehow remain secret.

If I don't get campus and one of you do... there will be bloodshed. Not to be bitter or anything.

karmabass wrote: »
    Ack.. I was hoping against hope that this would somehow remain secret.

If I don't get campus and one of you do... there will be bloodshed. Not to be bitter or anything.

I know, I kinda feel guilty about putting this up, wanted as few people to know about it too. But I needed to know prices(and now I feel like more of an idiot, cos I found out the full year price from another lad:o). Sure you've moved up already yeah? I know not on campus, but still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

When they give them out it'll (most likely) be based on distance from the college. SO the people that need it most will get it. That's how the initial waiting list last year worked anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Raphael wrote: »
    When they give them out it'll (most likely) be based on distance from the college. SO the people that need it most will get it. That's how the initial waiting list last year worked anyway.

Not true. I know a non final year from Dublin that got in on it.

Yeah, I know someone from where I live(just outside Wicklow town) who got it last year. I'm guessin/hoping its doner on first come-first served basis at this stage.

Pythia wrote: »
    Not true. I know a non final year from Dublin that got in on it.
    Fair enough, guess they do the semester 2 one different from the semester 1 one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Never occured to you that some people know how to manipulate the system slightly...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

I'm pretty sure the Semester 2 allocations are pot luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Fair enough, guess they do the semester 2 one different from the semester 1 one.

No, this was Sem 1!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PennyLane

Do they have a second house or relatives in a farther-away county whose address they could've used instead? I've heard of instances of that happening before...

Oh really?

Well in that case, either the accomodation office worked their way through the list to them, they "beat the system", or the accomodation office lied about basing it on commuting distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

How foolproof is the 'using a relative down the country' thing.. Considering that UCD are bound to have everyone's real addresses..

How foolproof is the 'using a relative down the country' thing.. Considering that UCD are bound to have everyone's real addresses..
    To the best of my knowledge it's workable, and a brilliant way to steal accomodation from people who need it much more than you do.

• Advertisement

I doubt it'll work for just getting accommodation for next semester. When you originally registered, you had to put in your address etc, and I think when applying for this, the info has to match up. May work for next year/beginning semester 1 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭t_ucd

Well in that case, either the accomodation office worked their way through the list to them, they "beat the system", or the accomodation office lied about basing it on commuting distance.

The accommodation does lie about it being based on commuting distance. I live 3 hours away from Dublin and didn't get it and I have friends who live an hour away who did get it. Basically it's given out on a first come first served basis - all the places are gone way before the "deadline" posted on the website. When I called up the guy in charge he couldn't even give me a half-decent excuse either, just kept bleating that the decision was made based on a "number of factors". :mad:

Last year it was done based on commuting distance, I live 3 hours away (where are you from, incidentally?) and got it as soon as there were spaces (iirc it was when the rechecks came back). Can't say about this year though, sorted myself out back in august with an off-campus place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭t_ucd

I'm from Sligo...this year it was definitely done differently, I know people from Longford who were given places a week after the application process opened. The SU has had a load of complaints about the system used this year though so hopefully it'll be improved for next year.

Advertisement