Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary Schooling in Greystones

Options
  • 13-07-2007 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

I hear educate together are trying to come to greystones. Does anyone have any info?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Welcome to the area Scivvy if you are new. Who or what are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 scivvy

It's a type of primary school which is interdenomination (think I've got the spelling wrong need to go back to sch myself). I'm new to this board thing but i need some info on sch places in the greystones area.

Well there is St. Kevins St. Bridgids St Patricks St. Laurences (Delgany) and one in Kilcoole that I know of but I have never heard of Educate Together. Do you have a child going to school soon?

I want a mixed school not just a single religious one. I'm a non practicing catholic and I think mixed is good in this day and age. Yes I have a child starting in sept 08.

My son is in St. Kevins and it's a mixed school. I will have another son starting in sept 08 and I must say I think it is a wonderful school but I also have heard wonderful things about St. Bridgids too and as far as I know that is mixed too. I am also a non practising Catholic and never really thought of religion as an issue when choosing a school although I would like my kids to be exposed to different Religions I don't want to force any on them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Welcome to Boards, Scivvy.

I've amended the thread title to reflect the topic, that way folk won't think you're just pimping yourself!

;)

Thanks mike i knew i did something wrong but am new to this and wasn't sure how to fix it. I'm not the best person on the computer but I'm trying to learn.

If there is anyone out there interested in setting up a We Educate Together school will they let me know and we;ll try and find out more about it if there 's enough interest .

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ryecatcher

Hi there - would love my 2 young'ins to go. I have both their names down for the one in Bray but the waiting list is very long and I really don't fancy driving back and forth every day. At the same time, it's the kind of school I'd really like them to attend.
    let me know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

www.educatetogether.ie - lots of information on how to start up a group.

I think its a good idea, it is ludicrous that all of the primary schools in Greystones are denominational and can (legally) practice driscrimination against applicants of different or no religion.

However, most parents are not that keen on having to start up their own school in order to get a non-denominational education for their kids.

if Brigid's do move out of their existing premises to a new building, the old one should be made available to an educate together or gaelscoil, I'm pretty sure it was originally biult with taxpayers money and it should be retained for public use rather than sold to developers.

• Advertisement

The nuns actually own the building so you wouldn't know what thay would do with it.

Near where my parents live there's a school that seems to fit the bill of what you're describing scivvy. South Dublin School Project, or something along those lines.

That was established in a former Loreto school owned by the nuns.

scivvy wrote:
    The nuns actually own the building so you wouldn't know what thay would do with it.

yes, and I'm pretty sure they want to sell the entire site to developers (they themselves are moving into the Silverstream building besides David's).

I had this discussion with one of the election candidates, but apparently regardless of how much government money has been pumped into the school over the years, the nuns own the land and they can do what they like with it.

ryecatcher wrote:
    Hi there - would love my 2 young'ins to go. I have both their names down for the one in Bray but the waiting list is very long and I really don't fancy driving back and forth every day. At the same time, it's the kind of school I'd really like them to attend.
    let me know how you get on.[/QUOT

Saw a notice down town , wrote it down. It said

If you are interested in seeing multi denominational education in the Greystones/Delgany area you should send a short email to mary.colohan@education.gov.ie
    She is the a senior officer in the dept who is currently looking for proof of demand. You should include your child's date of birth, name and when you would need a place. You should also state that the current schools do not meet your needs as regards being multi denominational.
    Pass on the word to anyone else you know who would be interested. If they're planning to build a new school wouldn't it be great to have a choice rather than just catholic or COI?

Was on to educate together and in order for them to set up in sept 08 onwards they need to proove they have sufficient numbers for 3 consecutive years . Their application goes to the dept of ed this comming sept so if people are interesred please ring them or email them. If you know people with small babies or are expecting their first child they still should get in contact also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 dede_dublin

My two kids are going to Dalkey school project (educate together), we drive them from Greystones to Glenegarry. Educate together school in Greystones would be just amazing, I know at least 5 other parents would send their kids with no hesitation. I get them to send the email too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 larbis

I am living in Charlesland in Greystones and am working with Educate Together who are responsible for the Educate Together/School Projects schools. We are looking to open a school in Greystones and I would like to hear from anyone who would be interested in sending their children to an ET school.

There are quite a few people interested, I have left details on a separate thread ' Are et coming to Greystones?' . If you have more details please let us know

Thanks

Threads merged.

Any local support for ET schools is needed and anyone who would be willing to work with me on this would be much appreciated! ET would like to organise a public meeting for the end of September, and also would like to know the numbers of people of people interested.. you can contact me here or at jessmbird@yahoo.co.uk

• Advertisement

I know a lot of parents don't have much time free to think about organising/setting up a school for their children. However a couple of things, it gives us a say in how our children are educated, and at this point there doesn't seem to be any other choice for those of us who would like good quality, non-discriminatory education..

The important thing is that the government know that there is an interest among people in greystones for an educate together school.. The meeting at the end of September will be advertised before-hand and if you're interested please come along and drag as many people with you as possible!
    Here is that email address again, mary.colohan@education.gov.ie., the lady who is looking for proof of demand

Who's organising the meeting? As applications for new schools need to be in by the end of sept surely the meeting needs to take place before then to give E.T a chance to apply for sept 08?

Educate Together are organising the meeting, send me your email address and I'll send you the info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 cheers

That's a great idea about E.T coming to greystones . we had no choice when my kids were going to school here. i think a gaelscoil would also be great it just gives parents a choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

larbis wrote:
    We are looking to open a school in Greystones and I would like to hear from anyone who would be interested in sending their children to an ET school.

I would be very very interested. I can also state that my sister in law has two children attending the Dalkey School project and she (as a charlesland resident) would also be interested in sending her littleuns to a local Educate Together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 cheers

When is the meeting taking place and where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭dreamingoak

I'm also very interested, my daughter's 8. Signed a form about thi recently and gave it back to the lady who was distruibuting them. This would be wonderful to help integrate all the new children coming into greystones with the chilren of locals, broaden experience as well as provide a chioce on the religion issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 CiaraW

Hi all,

there are two groups trying to set up schools in Greystones at the moment. The schools that we have are incredibly oversubscribed and parents are finding it very difficult to get places in the established schools. Therefore there will be plenty of opportunity for both new endeavours to find enough children to show the department that there is appetite for 2 new schools in the area.

Educate together are setting up as is a Gaelscoil for the area. I don't know all that much about the plans and contact details for the educate together school but the Gaelscoil is having an enrolment night on Tues 6th Nov in the GAA hall at 7.30pm to answer questions. If you have any questions but can't make the night, contact greystonesgaelscoil@gmail.com and they will be able to help.

Hope this helps

Ciara

• Advertisement

is there space on the Charlesland site to co-locate the 2 schools? Although the gaelscoil may not want to share space with an english speaking school?

Advertisement