Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary Schooling in Greystones

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 larbis

Hi All,

Just to let you know that Educate Together will be having their pre-enrolment day on Saturday 17th November from 10.30am in the Charlesland Sports and Recreation Centre (next to Jackie Skelly's gym).
    Everyone is welcome and it works on a first come first served basis.

Looking forward to seeing you there!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Larbis

Congrats for getting this going.

What will be the start/finish times of the school (crucial if working)

Cheers

Hi

Do you mean the pre-enrolment day? That will be from 10.30am til 1.30pm.
    As for the actual school it is the same as any other national primary school .

Does this help?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Hi

I meant the start / finish time for a school day (for example St Patricks start at 08.25 and finish much earlier, other schools start at 09.25 and finish later). They all start at different times. I couldn't consider enrollment unless I knew and I would be really interested.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

All questions to do with the running of the school will be decided by the acting Board of Management when the school gets the go ahead from the Department of Education.
    It would do no harm to enrol anyway...:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 smithser

Thanks for the info Larbis, I couldn't make the meeting that Educate Together held recently in Greystones but I'll be attending tomorrow morning to enrol my son in the future school, hopefully they get plenty of support

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

how much money do you need to raise?

How much money to we have to raise for what specifically?
    If you mean to buy the site, the Department of Education has stated that this year, for the first time, they will be responsible for providing sites and school buildings.
    We will need to do fund-raising for equipment and admin tho..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 scivvy

larbis wrote: »
    How much money to we have to raise for what specifically?
    If you mean to buy the site, the Department of Education has stated that this year, for the first time, they will be responsible for providing sites and school buildings.
    We will need to do fund-raising for equipment and admin tho..

so does this mean that the dept of ed are buying ET a site to start up next year? If so where will it be? Are you hoping to get the site in Charlsland?

Hi,

As far as sites go it is still all up in the air. The Department of Education have been looking into the situation in Greystones for over a year and it is up to them to make a decision.
    There are a few options for temporary accomodation - but we are pushing hard to get a permanent site.

There are enough buildings and sites in Greystones for everybody - as far as I'm concerned the more options that parents have when it comes to educating their children the better! And with the new developments (Charlesland, Eden Gate etc..) and surrounding areas such as Kilcoole, Kilpedder I don't think there need be competion for students between schools.

Hopefully everybody will be able to find what suits them and their beliefs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭rozeboosje

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I've done yet another merge. I've also changed the thread title. Try to keep all discussion of primary schooling here.

Cheers mikedragon32. I hadn't noticed the other thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

As mentioned in the post titled 'QUESTION' Pizzaro and Zapi are 'at loggerheads'. Each objects to the other's proposed shopping development in Bray and Charlesland respectively.

Land at Charlesland is zoned for educational purposes. Mary Hanafin announced two new eight teacher schools for Greystones.

In October 2007 at the Town Council meeting, Derek Mitchell was predicting a crisis in education for Greystones because a shortage of school places.

The announcement of two new schools goes some way towards resolving this but only if there is a site available.

Both the proposed Educate Together and the Gaeilscoil got enrolment numbers for September 2008 that were more than encouraging.

See www.gaelscoilnaclochaliatha.com and www.greystoneset for any updates.

According to the Gaelscoil site they have met, or are to meet Greystones Town Council shortly to ask for a temporary site in the town.

Land at Blacklion is also zoned for educational purposes.

Interesting times especially if you have young children!

Good news :D

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

www.greystoneset.ie has details of planning permission applied for by the Department of Education and Science for two temporary eight classroom schools at Blacklion near Lidl. Hopefully then all pre school children whose parents wish them to start school in Sept 2008 will be accommodated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Saint Patrick

Could someone pls tell me - what Educate Together is? My son is starting school in Sept 2009. Is St. Brigids moving to Charlesland? Which primary school in Greystones is best? Do I have to register him a year beforehand? I phoned the primary school in Delgany and they told me they only take children baptised Church of England. Is this allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Educate Together is an umbrella organisation for setting up and running non-denominational schools. I think their Greystones schools is going to be in Blacklion, but somebody who is actually involved with them would be able to give you more information.

All the existing schools in Greystones are church-run: Kevins, Brigids and Laurences are catholic, Patricks (and Delgany NS) is Church of Ireland. They all run a joint enrollment policy and I think they take names from the november before your child is due to start. They do give priority to children of the same religion as the school (and this is allowed by law).

Advertisement