Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Registered Owner of Irish Car but living in UK

Options
  • 26-11-2007 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

Can a person that is a permanent resident in the UK be the Registered Owner of a car that is permanently in Ireland? The car has Irish plates.

Or would the person have had to supply inaccurate details to the registration office when they bought the car i.e. LIED and said they lived in Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Technically, if you look at the requirements, no: insurance typically requires residency, tax requires insurance, registration requires tax.

However I'd imagine it's quite easy in practice, the point is why the person would want to do that if they're in another country.. to let someone else drive the car on a full-time basis? It goes against most insurance policies that a named driver can be the majority user of a vehicle. Although I guess it makes sense if they're working part-time (or at least a few months per year) in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I think you'd need an ROI address.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

Kali wrote: »
    Technically, if you look at the requirements, no: insurance typically requires residency, tax requires insurance, registration requires tax.

However I'd imagine it's quite easy in practice, the point is why the person would want to do that if they're in another country.. to let someone else drive the car on a full-time basis? It goes against most insurance policies that a named driver can be the majority user of a vehicle. Although I guess it makes sense if they're working part-time (or at least a few months per year) in Ireland.

Cheers Kali
    ..can you verify the part regarding the list of requirements above.. from what I read when you buy a car you first need to get Insurance. Then you can get Tax. Then you can Register the car to the new owner?
    But the person can't get Insurance unless they own the car i.e. Register.
    Am i reading your comment wrong?

Just to elaborate - The aim is NOT to let someone else drive the car on a full-time basis.. but to have a car in Ireland for own use - cheaper than rental and much less hassle. Plus benefit of letting another person use it occasionally (incidentally the person hasn't used the car even once in the last year so its free money to insurance company).

Since insurance companies tell me they will not insure like this (even though the person has already used one of them for the same situation last year) I can only assume the insur. company don't have correct details. They currently have the insured persons address is Irish and not UK - which is incorrect - so what has gone wrong? Is this the address where the Motor is kept perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

AFAIK the "Registered Owner" of an Irish vehicle may or may not be the legal owner ( although it usually is) of the vehicle so where the registered owner lives is largely immaterial. In the UK they have the terminology "Registered Keeper" which neatly closes this loophole.

Advertisement