Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burglars in Dublin

Options
  • 26-11-2007 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

House got broken into at about 5 o'clock this evening in Dublin 2. They got thousands worth of jewelery but didn't go downstairs. A chap in his 40's going around selling calenders so look out for him. My neighbour said he was on the phone outside my house for a while. His buddy was probably inside ransacking the place. The first day in weeks there was nobody in the house in the morning or afternoon.

Look out for him anyway.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Give us an idea of which part of the city mate?

Hard luck too...

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭celt2005

Sorry to hear about that, thanks for the heads up and hope you get your stuff back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Around the Holles street area. I doubt they're targetting the one area though. They'll probably be on the dart out to somewhere else tomorrow. The guy on the phone/selling calenders definitely wasn't from around the area because my neighbour knows everyone around Pearse street and Ringsend. A scruffy looking man she said. Just standing in my side entrance on the phone.

I can't actually be 100% sure it was him but I left the house at half 1 so I'd be shocked if it wasn't. Ironically, the neighbour that saw him lives in this house which was recently in the Dublin Picture game: :)
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/64967/47855.JPG

First time this house has ever been broken into in the 50 odd years my family own it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Sorry mate, I know what you are going through - live on the north side near ballybough and have been robbed 3 times. I work in Dublin 2 and i'll keep an eye out for the scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

thankfully never happened to me.

I remember around Christmas last year I got a ring on the door....

There was no car in my garden, I thought it was 5 and I was getting a lift so up I jumped, knocked on the light etc, look out and some piece of **** get's into a long jeep passenger side and drives off....

the bastards had been setting the alarm a few times, makes your blood boil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Jay D wrote: »
    thankfully never happened to me.

I remember around Christmas last year I got a ring on the door....

There was no car in my garden, I thought it was 5 and I was getting a lift so up I jumped, knocked on the light etc, look out and some piece of **** get's into a long jeep passenger side and drives off....

the bastards had been setting the alarm a few times, makes your blood boil.

After about 5 times reading that I'm still not sure I understand.
    Did you.......
    hear the door bell, wake up because you thought it was your lift to work...
    turn on the light, look out the window and see a car pull off?
    Were they tripping your outside sensor?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

yeah I thought it was my lift, I knocked on the light after getting up to let them know I was awake and that, I went over to the window to wave and say I'm up etc...

a jeep had been making a turn and the prick who was ringing the bell to see if anyone was home legged it back to the jeep and hopped in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Thanks for head up eirebhoy, just asked my missus's parents who live near Pearse St to be careful with dodgy characters loitering around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Thanks for the heads up, I live on the Dart line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

one of my mates got burgaled....while he was in the house last week.
    its christmas, scum are everywhere looking to rob everything, it happens every x-mas, these guys steal to order in some cases.
    i had a "member of the travelling community" call to the door when i was working on the car, my younger brother (12) answered the door, now i was under the car and she couldnt see me, she basically started harrassing him and asking for money, she wouldnt let him close the door.
    i said **** this, got out from the car with a socket and ratchet and in the nicest way possible to a scumbag i told her to **** off

• Advertisement

kona wrote: »
    one of my mates got burgaled....while he was in the house last week

Where was this? It doesn't reflect on the area, if anything the burglers are targeting wealthier people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

lightening wrote: »
    Where was this? It doesn't reflect on the area, if anything the burglers are targeting wealthier people.

exacty, they wount rob a house in clondalkin....because they would prob get either shot or tortured(not a bad image tbh)
    eh ye he lives in malahide/portmarnock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭sideshowdave

kona wrote: »
    exacty, they wount rob a house in clondalkin....because they would prob get either shot or tortured(not a bad image tbh)
    eh ye he lives in malahide/portmarnock.

you would actually be surprised i live in tallaght and there is no prejudice when it comes to robbing. a recent rumor going around of some s**t going around the council estates and having a field day doing three or four houses in each estate. but as already mentioned its not unusual for this time of year.

eirebhoy sorry to hear of your misfortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The fact is it was easy to break into my house. No alarm, a door that you can see right into, a side entrance with no door (although it only leads to the kitchen roof) and the bedroom window left open. Usually the offices opposite the back of my house would see anyone getting in the window but it would have been dark by then.

We got a new door put up yesterday by a friend and are looking at alarm systems. We still don't even know all that was taken but my ma reckons at least 8 grand worth of jewelery. Obviously it's the sentimentality of it that hurts, especially considering they didn't take a piece worth €1.5k that she bought herself a few years ago. They took a watch from me but I don't know what else. The cops say he was wearing gloves and I doubt we'll hear from them again tbh.

btw, only a couple of weeks ago down the road in South Lotts a woman answered the door and a man forced his way in and took what he wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

Alarms are pointless IMO, how many times do you hear them going off and the only thing you think of is how ****ing annoying they are :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Somebody tried to break into my parents' house last week. The ripped the handle off the back door and removed the barrel of the lock (no idea how :confused: ). Very clever indeed, until they opened the door and the alarm went off. Alarm did its job and they went away empty handed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

great way to give scum ideas An Citeog

great way to give scum ideas An Citeog

Whoever did this knew exactly what they were doing, had some fairly unique tools and wore gloves. Just warning the rest of people here to be vigilant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

but what are you warning people? make sure their handles are extra tight?
    im just pointing out its just giving ideas how to get into houses, never a good move

Thanks for that Citoeg. I guess a simple sliding bolt would stop them?

Addidas. He is not teaching anyone anything. They all know how to do it already.

• Advertisement

lightening wrote: »
    Thanks for that Citoeg. I guess a simple sliding bolt would stop them?

Addidas. He is not teaching anyone anything. They all know how to do it already.

Or make sure you have an alarm and switch it on when you're not in the house and when you go to bed. With all their advanced methods to get into your house, a good alarm is a necessity.

but what are you warning people? make sure their handles are extra tight?
    im just pointing out its just giving ideas how to get into houses, never a good move

See my post above. Also see the post before my first one here. I'm saying that it's a good idea to get an alarm and use it.

I didn't exactly explain the technique either because I don't have a clue how they did it.

Advertisement