Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You know them lights on the Outer Ring Road?

• 26-11-2007 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Why aren't they switched on for petes sake??????????????????????????????

black.jpeg*

Mike.

* not actual photo

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

According to the News & Star, its a bitching session between the council and ESB. Something to do with payment I think, council said they paid and ESB said there waiting for it? Not 100% sure on that part tho.

I think I read it will be done by the last week in November.

Doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

mike65 wrote: »
    * not actual photo

Hehe, very good :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Most of them are working now but not all. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

There were none on when I drove home last night, I drive the full length of the road from the Old Kilmeaden Road to the Hospital Roundabout everyday too.

Unless I just didn't notice them :o

I drove from the Balindud Roundabout out towards ardkeen and they were there 80% of the way.

Monday I was out by Old Kilmeaden and they were on also. :p

• Advertisement

I'll check em today again, I'm not admitting defeat yet!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

I am just after driving across the full length of the Outer Ring Road and the lights were on the whole way.:)

I passed up at 5:30 and there was a section off between the Six Cross roads and the Tramore Road. They don't appear to be fully sorted yet. 90% there though.

There is also a section out by Ardkeen missing. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 kevin123123

I could be wrong but are they lit just at each roundabout and not on the straights. I thought the ones on the straights were switched off late at night to conserve energy.

• Advertisement

I could be wrong but are they lit just at each roundabout and not on the straights. I thought the ones on the straights were switched off late at night to conserve energy.

No there on all the way (at least, most of them are). They were always on at the roundabouts, but they put down extra lights to serve cyclists and pedestrians who use that area a lot. They were put down ages but never turned on due to an ongoing issue with the ESB and the Council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Sully wrote: »
    No there on all the way (at least, most of them are). They were always on at the roundabouts, but they put down extra lights to serve cyclists and pedestrians who use that area a lot. They were put down ages but never turned on due to an ongoing issue with the ESB and the Council.

Drove the full length of it last night at around 8pm and only about 50% of the lights are on.At the roundabouts yes there on, but have always been on, but still major sections switched off which is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tonight I went from Ardkeen to Old Tramore rd turn, the section from Airport roundabut to Tramore road was lit, why the Williamstown to airport road part was not beats me.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    Tonight I went from Ardkeen to Old Tramore rd turn, the section from Airport roundabut to Tramore road was lit, why the Williamstown to airport road part was not beats me.

Mike.

Also from Balindud to Six Cross Roads its half light but from Six Cross Roads to Balindud its not really lit at all.

Tis all over the place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭next

Theres alot of things wrong with the new rd besides the lights not working the speed signs are the wrong size and I think the speed limit is wrong not just in my opinion but by the rules set for a rd of its size , once work had finished on the rd it should be put to 100km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

next wrote: »
    Theres alot of things wrong with the new rd besides the lights not working the speed signs are the wrong size and I think the speed limit is wrong not just in my opinion but by the rules set for a rd of its size , once work had finished on the rd it should be put to 100km

Rules of the road say if two lanes go into a roundabout and two go out you can take the right hand lane to go straight on, however the council have decided that the right hand lane is third exit only, why??? Surely that means traffic is going to build up more at these roundabouts that it did before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭next

Like I said alot of things are wrong with the rd, I'm sure you could fight gettings points for speeding over the 60 and under the 100

Roanmore wrote: »
    Rules of the road say if two lanes go into a roundabout and two go out you can take the right hand lane to go straight on, however the council have decided that the right hand lane is third exit only, why??? Surely that means traffic is going to build up more at these roundabouts that it did before.

Where is this indicated, Roanmore? Arrows painted on the road or something?

Because I remember my driving instructor telling me specifically about that point about two-lane entrances and exits on roundabouts. Of course it's permitted. The only thing you have to remember is to follow your lane around and not take the "racing line".

In any case, everyone on that road just uses common sense, i.e. they tear along at 100 km/h, just like you can do legally on seriously bad bends up around Mullinavegas, and they use both lanes for straight on at the roundabouts!

You see some interesting sights on the ORR though - I did see one guy overtake another ON the roundabout - to my mind, perfectly legal, but a bit foolhardy, given the way some people in this city don't exactly pay attention at roundabouts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

fricatus wrote: »
    Where is this indicated, Roanmore? Arrows painted on the road or something?

Because I remember my driving instructor telling me specifically about that point about two-lane entrances and exits on roundabouts. Of course it's permitted. The only thing you have to remember is to follow your lane around and not take the "racing line".

In any case, everyone on that road just uses common sense, i.e. they tear along at 100 km/h, just like you can do legally on seriously bad bends up around Mullinavegas, and they use both lanes for straight on at the roundabouts!

You see some interesting sights on the ORR though - I did see one guy overtake another ON the roundabout - to my mind, perfectly legal, but a bit foolhardy, given the way some people in this city don't exactly pay attention at roundabouts!

I went from from Cork Road to Hospital today and all the way to Williamstown Road roundabout right hand lane was right turn only. Williamstown was always that way but all the rst have changed. Not usually a problem but surely it will affect traffic

Indeed the lines have been printed but the roundabout doesnt technically have "two lanes" as its not indicated.

I think since the roundabout itself isnt marked into lanes, it doesnt count. But anyway, the rules also mention that roundabout change if indicated by the council - which it now is

Ill seek a clarification. :)

• Advertisement

Roanmore wrote: »
    I went from from Cork Road to Hospital today and all the way to Williamstown Road roundabout right hand lane was right turn only. Williamstown was always that way but all the rst have changed. Not usually a problem but surely it will affect traffic

I drove it this evening and now I notice what you're saying. Makes no sense though, since there are two lanes on exit. Won't make a blind bit of difference though, even at rush hour, because people will just ignore the road markings - only reason I was conscious of them was this thread. I noticed the new signs in Ardkeen, by Tesco and the hospital all right, but not the markings on the ORR.

By the way, I rarely drive the ORR at rush hour, but I did around two weeks ago, and it's a phenomenal boon to traffic in Waterford. There were zillions of cars, but it was free-flowing! A good answer to those who say that "more roads just means more cars" :confused:

Advertisement