Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating and Sleeping????

Options
  • 26-11-2007 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

I've wondered this for a long time and anytime I ask someone about it I either don't get a full answer or people, like me, just don't know why but...

Why is it people say that eating before going to bed gives you nightmares??? I don't get how food gives you nightmares, how does that work exactly?

At the weekends when I'm just panning out like last weekend I would make myself a sandwiche and cup of tea before heading to bed. Been doing that for years now and not once have I got nightmares from it I reckon.....

Anyone else's thoughts on it or if anyone could answer my questions about this would be greatly appricated :)

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I know if i eat cheese before bedtime i have weird dreams ,some nice ,some erotic ,some unexplainable and some down right scary , i think its the chemical in the cheese that triggers it off :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭lucyburn

It may be that the food is being digested in your stomach while your sleeping, and it's this that causes some people to have nightmares.

I don't usually eat anything for 2 hours before going to bed.
    And i can't remember the last time i had a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Lawless_Samurai

lucyburn wrote: »
    I don't usually eat anything for 2 hours before going to bed.

Why do you do this??? Like was there a scientific study done on it or just something your mam told you thats stayed with you since...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭lucyburn

Why do you do this??? Like was there a scientific study done on it or just something your mam told you thats stayed with you since...

Yes it was just something i was told years ago, and so started doing it.
    I find that it works for me,but everybodys different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭KIVES

I've wondered this for a long time and anytime I ask someone about it I either don't get a full answer or people, like me, just don't know why but...

Why is it people say that eating before going to bed gives you nightmares??? I don't get how food gives you nightmares, how does that work exactly?

At the weekends when I'm just panning out like last weekend I would make myself a sandwiche and cup of tea before heading to bed. Been doing that for years now and not once have I got nightmares from it I reckon.....

Anyone else's thoughts on it or if anyone could answer my questions about this would be greatly appricated :)

Cheers

I'm no nutritionalist but my cousin did a degree in 'Dietetics' (probably spelt that one wrong) and just got chatting to her one night about the whole cheese/dreaming phenomenon and according to her tis neither an old wives tale nor an urban sleeping myth - seemingly there is some chemical in cheese which triggers heightened brain activity and will increase the chances of having really lucid dreams if eaten a couple of hours before headfall...not very explanatory but presume cheese is not unique in it's dream sparking tendencies and there must be other food types+liquids (excluding alcohol) out there which have a similar effect

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

KIVES wrote: »
    I'm no nutritionalist but my cousin did a degree in 'Dietetics' (probably spelt that one wrong) and just got chatting to her one night about the whole cheese/dreaming phenomenon and according to her tis neither an old wives tale nor an urban sleeping myth - seemingly there is some chemical in cheese which triggers heightened brain activity and will increase the chances of having really lucid dreams if eaten a couple of hours before headfall...not very explanatory but presume cheese is not unique in it's dream sparking tendencies and there must be other food types+liquids (excluding alcohol) out there which have a similar effect
    Yes, the cheese dreaming sequence is no wifes tale or urban myth ,on the other hand alcohol before bedtimes just make me groggy and i always wake up in the middle of the night dehydrated .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Leon11

I ate 4 cheesestring before bed a year ago or so and I woke up crying in my sleep. Not very manly at all for a big bloke:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

My Home Ec teacher told us years ago that it's because you're still digesting your food. So when you go asleep, you're going to be dreaming anyway, but the fact that you're still digesting your food, your body sends a message to the brain that it's unsettled and this mood is reflected in your dreams by becoming nightmares. Don't know if it's true or not, I've never really noticed it anyway.

Advertisement