Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wanna Buy A Polo Classic

Options
  • 26-11-2007 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey
    Im interested in buying a second hand polo classic its a 99 with 61,000 miles but says that the camshaft is a bit noisy would it be a big expensive job to fix a problem like that????????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Be careful - it can be costly to replace cylinder head components. Personally, I'd steer clear of it - plenty more fish in the sea.

A pedantic point, but in Ireland a Polo Classic is referred to as a Polo Saloon. Dealers were instructed to remove the 'Classic' badge from the rear of the car if it arrived on the car from the factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Why did they do that?

I've no idea - I often wondered myself, but never got around to asking. But back in my VW days I remember it being dished out as an instruction from MDL. In fairness, very few came in with the 'Classic' badge on the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

crosstownk wrote: »
    I've no idea - I often wondered myself, but never got around to asking. But back in my VW days I remember it being dished out as an instruction from MDL. In fairness, very few came in with the 'Classic' badge on the boot.

Do all the Europeans refer to saloon derivitives as "classic"? The old megane saloon was badged as classic too wasnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Wikipedia says "Classic/Sedan/Derby" - dunno if it's correct in reference to the Mk. III though. I know the Mk. II saloon was the Derby in the UK (can't remember if it was the same here).

• Advertisement

The Polo Saloon (6K) that we had here in the late 90's/early 00's was called the Derby in Mexico.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Darragh-polo

I'm 17, looking to buy a polo classic (1.4){1997-1999} as my first car. Any experience/problems/advice any1 has with this car would be greatly appreciated...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm 17, looking to buy a polo classic (1.4){1997-1999} as my first car. Any experience/problems/advice any1 has with this car would be greatly appreciated...

Not very popular here as small saloons of that size have limited appeal. The Polo saloon is shares alot of parts with it's sister car the Seat Cordoba.

Personally myself I would go for the more practical and better looking Polo hatchback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

I drove once car just like that, I did not like it so much, a heavy clutch and quite old-fashion car, 1.4l only 60hp,

I think it did not have even airbags, I really cannot see point to buy car without those safety features.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Just saw a polo saloon badged as "Classic"

From what I rememberm the run out models (clear front indicators, upgraded interior) were badged as "Classic", though earlier ones weren't.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »

From what I rememberm the run out models (clear front indicators, upgraded interior) were badged as "Classic", though earlier ones weren't.

I'd say you're right, colm.

Advertisement