Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Key broke off in Bikehut Hardened Steel Shackle Bike Lock

Options
  • 26-11-2007 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭

So having shelled out last Xmas for a top-of-the-range Bikehut lock, something like this one, I managed to snap off the key in the lock this evening. Ironically, this happened after me finally getting around to oiling the lock this morning, after months of ignoring it. I'm not sure what happened, but I guess that as I was unlocking it while wearing my gloves, I didn't feel how hard I was turning the key.

So what are my options now? I couldn't see the remainder of the key this evening, but maybe it might be visible in the morning. I have spare keys, but they are pretty useless when the key is stuck in the lock. Is there any way to get the lock open? Is it worth calling out a locksmith?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Prob be cheaper to buy a new one then call someone out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

i've no advice as to how to remedy the situation, but by way of commiseration(?) i'd point out that it's not a very good lock: "# Sold secure bronze approved". even if you get the remains of the key out i'd recommend an upgrade. you do love your bike don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

A reasonable magnet might work if you can see any of the broken bit of key

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Needle nosed pliers might help.

If not, find your local skanger and give them 30 seconds - should sort it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

put it in the freezer, and see if the metal contracts enough for it to fall out, should work as they key and barrel are different materials, with the key obviously being softer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

It'll be awkward getting the bike and rack into the freezer too though ;).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Wheelworx

Morgan wrote: »

hahahhahhah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

It looks like a crappy lock anyway, use this as an excuse to by a Kryptonite or Abus D lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

call roud to supervalu:D:D:D or the butchers:D

em ye i think your stuck with this, whats the guarantee like?? it might still be covered,;)
    as for breaking it off.......a hammer should do the job(more enjoyment than a hacksaw:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You need to bring the freezer to the bike, obviously. Duh!

I've got a D-Lock off with a hammer before after the key had stuck, but it wasn't perfectly closed properly. Agree on the more fun part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

THanks for all the suggestions. I wasn't able to remove the broken key, after much poking around. So the caretaker in work took his angle-grinder to it, and cut throught it like butter.

Guess what I'm getting for Xmas now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

THanks for all the suggestions. I wasn't able to remove the broken key, after much poking around. So the caretaker in work took his angle-grinder to it, and cut throught it like butter.

a puppy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gillyfromlyre

Are you any good with an angle grinder and a welder, grind into her, remove key and weld her back together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gillyfromlyre

Whoops, someone done that already, ok, not bad for a lady tho he he

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

an angle-grinder?

Advertisement