Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Binos

Options
  • 26-11-2007 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've been struggling away with a pair of crappy old binos for deer stalking. I need to upgrade badly. Any ideas which way to look, I've heard Zeiss are pretty good. Also whats the craic with bringing them in from outside Europe re VAT?

Thanks lads

Jonty

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

If you buy stuff from outside the EU you're looking at about adding on 12% for duty and 21% for VAT. This makes it about 35% extra. With the dollar the way it is at the moment it might make sense to shop around in the states. Change the $ to a € and that will be a rough upper limit on what you'll end up paying taxed and delivered.

Have a look at www.binoculars.com, I bought from them before and they were good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭rabbit Stew

hi jonty,
    check out www.opticswarehouse.co.uk
    some good deals
    hawke endurance 10x42 €70 approx.
    Water proof. Ten year warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Have a look at russian military stuff as well. They mighn't be the most advanced but are quite often sturdy quality tried and tested kit ( the russians learnt from the best when they plundered Zeiss, Schmidt&Bender etc etc at the end of WWII in Germany )

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Hi Jonty,

I have a Leupold RBX800C 8X32 Rangefinder bino. Its an excellent piece of kit and well suited to deer stalking. I've seen them retailing in Ireland for around 800euro, but you will get them in the US for under 500dollars which is about 350euro give or take.

Try www.opticsplanet.net

Hezz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

Well what ever you buy it should be as good if not better than your scope I also have a pair of Leupold RBX800C 8X32 Rangefinder binos and there good BUT i changed my scope and its better again than the binos so you find yourself using your scope to watch deer and its not the thing to do, so buy the best you can Zeiss, Schmidt&Bender etc...you'll have them for ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Tack,

what scope did you get if you don't mind me asking as a matter of interest??:)

Hezz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I've got a Scmidt and Bender PH 3-12X50

Hezz700 wrote: »
    Tack,

what scope did you get if you don't mind me asking as a matter of interest??:)

Hezz

meopta meostar 3-12-56 wish I went bigger with the variable but for the money its up there

Jonty wrote: »
    I've got a Scmidt and Bender PH 3-12X50

Well Jonty you should buy the best you can afford you have a great scope and you will notice it late evening when at dusk your scope won't let you down but cheep binos might

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Well Jonty you should buy the best you can afford you have a great scope and you will notice it late evening when at dusk your scope won't let you down but cheep binos might

Thanks for the advice Tack!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

If you are serious about shooting then buy a serious set of binos, you get what you pay for, ive heard all the bull about my aldi binos for 20 cent are every bit as good as your 2 grand Leica ones, horse sh1t, buy a top brand and they will last, Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski or what ever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Jonty,

My advice is to try before you buy.
    Optical qualities are very important, but so is the handling. A pair of binoculars that don't fit your hands or weigh too much or are otherwise awkward are no fun to use and will eventually get left behind.

Zeiss, Leica, Swarvoski and Kahles are pricey, but over their useful life, cheap for what they deliver in imaging.

All are available in a wide range of magnification and object lens diameter. Price is a factor of size, size a consideration of weight.

I use and recommend Zeiss 8x56 but 8x30 or 8x42 are very useful sizes for hunting.

Nikon E porro prisms in 8x30. They are my nephews favorite hunting glass --light, comfortable to use, 460 foot (8.8 degree) field of view, super color correction and very bright. "Relatively inexpensive" :)

The Zeiss 8x56 are great all around glasses but 8x30 or 8x42 are very useful sizes for hunting. "Useful life" I purchased the Zeiss 25 years ago so the initial cost is justified IMO.

Advertisement