Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish Advice - What fish to add?

Options
  • 26-11-2007 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I currently have a 60l tank with three cichlids (or at least I think they are? See pics) and I'm looking to add new fish. The 3 have been in the tank almost 2 months now and appear to be healthy and vibrant.

Can someone please advise what fish would be suitable to add to the tank and how many?

I've attached some photo's of the 3 fish which I think may be an electric yellow labidochromis, a zebra cichlid and a red-shouldered peacock. If I'm wrong can anyone identify them?

Much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

Hi they are cichlids you have it,s along time since i kept these.check out this site you will get loads of advice and they will recomend some nice fish.
    www.irishfishkeepers.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

You should be safe with African Cichlids in general, Provided that you check up about there ultimate size and temperment before purchasing, I would advise you against Red devils, green terrors, Frontosas, Zebra Tilapias as these grow into large aggresive fish and generally need to be kept alone when fully grown, . There is a huge number of African Cichlids , far too many to mention, and I dont know the details about them all, but as a rule go for medium sized male - famale pairs of afriacan Cichlid.

Mixing Species is all trial and error, so go on size (when fully grown), temperment, water Chemistry requirements and sex.

If you've too many males it could cause problems, although around breeding time they all generally get territorial. When adding new Cichlids be sure to move the tank decor around first to reset the territories already established, this will minimize fighting.

In a 60 Litre -13.2 gallon tank you could get away with another 2 Cichlids max, but If Cichlids are your thing then your eventually gonna have to go for at least a 4 foot tank if you want to keep more and let them grow. My friend has 23 Cichlids in a 5 foot x 16 inches wide x 2 foot tall tank, this is all he can keep. So as you can see they like their space.

You might get away with a catfish provided there is plenty of hiding space and some bogwood, not too much though as bogwood softens and acidifies the hard alkaline water needed by most african Cichlids. Sometimes Catfish work with Cichlids sometimes they dont, it depends on the Individual fish in the tank. I recommend a Synodontis catfish.

Other then that nearly all other species of Fish are ruled out here.

Some fish I recommend : Peacock Cichlids, any caeruleus , any Julidochromis, Neolamprologus brichardi's leleupi's etc, and Altolamprologus.

Advertisement