Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling ALL Vodafone "Unlimited" data plan users

Options
  • 26-11-2007 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭

As many of you know, Vodafone have been cutting off users of their "Unlimited" data plan over the past week or so. I hate to keep using the inverted commas but its their wording not ours, hell its even on my last bill!

What have they been cut of for? For using more than 5Gb of data, some how this doesn't seem so "Unlimited" anymore does it!

Never was what is effectually a 5Gb cap ever mentioned to me when I signed up to the service, I have not been made aware of this even now, I only know of the situation through these boards. Vodafone have moved the goal posts, without telling us, not only is moving the goal post unacceptable, not informing us is just as bad.

We need to take action, we need to stick together and we need to make everyone including media aware of what is going on. It seems to me that now anyone can offer unlimited service, subject to "Fair use" and then make up the rules as they go along. If I did this in my business I would be shut down.

If we don't stick together on this one we can all kiss good buy to the service we signed up for. Its clear to me that Vodafone are prepared to loose us as customers so its going to be a hard fight and we need get our heads together on this one.

What are we going to do as a group? Are we prepared to compromise? Do we stand a chance of changing their mind? how many of us are there?

Don't sit back and let other people sort this one out people, stand up and be counted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

The first step is to make a written complaint to comreg...

I haven't been cut off yet, but from what I have read its only a matter of time......

the second I got cut off there will be a letter going off....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

How about if we were to put something in writing as a group?

Or get one person in Comreg as a point of contact for us when we get cut off?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Comreg dont give a **** about you people, go to the NCA instead. Comreg allowed 1000s of Smart customers to get cut off this time last year and did nothing then.

Comreg will only act if you make a formal complaint TO Vodafone first ....after which Vodafone wll cut you off and after which again Comreg will do nothing because you are not a Vodafone customer.

www.nca.ie I recommend you ring them first thing in the morning ad PM names between yourselves to get a point of contact for complaints .

Then email the contact the full complaint to follow

Make sure you have a copy of your T&Cs to hand.

Once you have logged a complaint with the NCA and gotten a complaint rfeference acknowledgement then complain to Comreg but ONLY about systemic breach of contract .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I'm an unlimited customer too but I doubt if I've ever crossed the 5GB limit .. but now that godskitchen has told me how to improve my connection ;) I could easily who knows. With their advertised 3.6Mb speeds and planned 7.2Mb - a 5GB limit is a makes the whole thing kind of meaningless.

I must say vodafones stance on this amazes me. They paid billions for 3g licenses that were useless for so long while they held out - only selling their bandwidth at prices only big businesses could afford. And now that they have a sliver of a chance of making some kind of return on their 3g licenses (and I would bet 3g is their only real growth area) they pull some rubbish like this on those early adapters who were willing to spend above the odds to use their service.

Sponge Wow amazing info, I will get on to it first thing in the morning!

croo
    Your dead right about Early Adapters or Early Adopters, there is also the added benifit of us knowing what we are talking about, I am pretty sure most of us are and have sold Vodafone to friends, and I know I am the first port of call for friends on maters of this kind.

You would imagine Vodafone wold know this?

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Comreg dont give a **** about you people, go to the NCA instead. Comreg allowed 1000s of Smart customers to get cut off this time last year and did nothing then.

Comreg will only act if you make a formal complaint TO Vodafone first ....after which Vodafone wll cut you off and after which again Comreg will do nothing because you are not a Vodafone customer.

www.nca.ie I recommend you ring them first thing in the morning ad PM names between yourselves to get a point of contact for complaints .

Then email the contact the full complaint to follow

Make sure you have a copy of your T&Cs to hand.

Once you have logged a complaint with the NCA and gotten a complaint rfeference acknowledgement then complain to Comreg but ONLY about systemic breach of contract .

When I call them in the morning and get the contacts email address, do we all need to email said contact? And what do we need to be quoting from the T&Cs? Also what kind of wording do you recommend using? Is it too strong to say breach of contract?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

When I call them in the morning and get the contacts email address, do we all need to email said contact? And what do we need to be quoting from the T&Cs?

I do not have a copy of your T&Cs , get one quick ...search yeer emails or search quotes on Boards in Voda related threads from the second half of last year when the service was on offer . I will wager that persons who do not exceed 5gb are getting the toe as well.
    Also what kind of wording do you recommend using? Is it too strong to say breach of contract?

"Systematic Breach Of Contract" is more like what it is.

Also make sure that you contact lots and lots of Journalists in The Register who cover these things very quickly and ask awkward questions in Newbury.

I am sure that they would just love to hear that Voda is systematically repudiating contracts with their early adopters and evangelisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

As many of you know, Vodafone have been cutting off users of their "Unlimited" data plan over the past week or so. I hate to keep using the inverted commas but its their wording not ours, hell its even on my last bill!

What have they been cut of for? For using more than 5Gb of data, some how this doesn't seem so "Unlimited" anymore does it!

Never was what is effectually a 5Gb cap ever mentioned to me when I signed up to the service, I have not been made aware of this even now, I only know of the situation through these boards. Vodafone have moved the goal posts, without telling us, not only is moving the goal post unacceptable, not informing us is just as bad.
    <SNIP>

Have you actually been cut off ?
    Perhaps its only customers that signed up after Vodafone introduced the 5gb cap that are being cut off ?
    I don't myself so I'm just asking the question ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Ive been cut off and i have unlimited data usage apparently.

Im willing to send emails or make phone calls or do whatever you guys decide the best plan of action is.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

As much as I love astrix's I don't think we need so many in the title, as such I've removed them.

Curious, although you signed to a "Unlimited" plan what did the T&C's state, any FUP attached?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

You should all complain seperately to both the National Consumer Agency and to Advertising Standards

I do not have a copy of your T&Cs , get one quick ...search yeer emails or search quotes on Boards in Voda related threads from the second half of last year when the service was on offer . I will wager that persons who do not exceed 5gb are getting the toe as well.

"Systematic Breach Of Contract" is more like what it is.

So I should not only be quoting the T&Cs to NCA but also giving them links from boards?
    Also make sure that you contact lots and lots of Journalists in The Register who cover these things very quickly and ask awkward questions in Newbury.

I am sure that they would just love to hear that Voda is systematically repudiating contracts with their early adopters and evangelisers.

I am a bit lost here, is The Register not just for the UK? And what do you mean by Newbury? Also what would be a awkward question?

sorry for the stupidness but I want to this started in the best possible way.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

"El Reg", or Vulture Central will of course print Irish stories. If zany or interesting. Such as Shredded mail instead of lost CDs. They ran "3" stories twice, but say it will only warrant a story now if "3" is perfect ... :)

OK, I got in touch with NCA, very helpful if a little slow to understand the situation, I have the name of the contact there and will get around to emailing them as soon as I can, like the rest of you I have other things to be getting on with.

What is the best way of doing this? Would we all send pretty much the same email from our own accounts? We will each be given a ref number for the complaint. Please PM me and I will give you the relevant email address and the contacts name, although it wont be this contact dealing directly with thew problem, I am however assured they will all end up with the same person.

Also guys, please help me find the other "Unlimited" data users, we need as many people on this as possible, so if you can look through posts in the past and give me a hand that would be great.

We might want to talk about non general issues via PM, so feel free to do so to me at least.

Come on guys, I cant really be the only one that concerned with what Vodafone is doing, I really dont have the time to go off on a one man crusade on this, any help from others effected by this would be great, going to the NCA with 3 people wont have any impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭niallb

Who here has actully been cut off and what dates did they start their contract with Vodafone.
    Were you still paying €48.99 a month?

Edit: OK, I see from the other thread that people in this situation have been cut off.
    I'd use about 5-8G a month, working from home - any really big downloads between 2am and 6am
    Guess I'll find out soon enough.

I'm on unlimited myself since last December, and rang Vodafone after receving an
    advert in the post about the cheaper 5G capped service last month.

I rang and stated I did not want to change my account to the cheaper option,
    and asked them to confirm that I was still on an Unlimited tariff, and not
    restricted to a 5G limit. They did so without hesitation.
    I've been wondering whether they'll let me renew it,
    but I guess I'll find out next month.

Any chance people who were cut off had recently had their bill dropped from
    €48.99 a month to €29.99 a month - perhaps after 12 months unlimited?

This needs to be an accurate picture before going anywhere.
    €48.99 is Unlimited, €29.99 is 5GB

NiallB

Yes NiallB, your right we do need more info, I have yet to be cut off but it wont be long, I was trying to get in before they did it, I can not survive with out the internet. I have had my contract for 18 months now, so my 12 months was up a long time ago, I too got the letter explaining about the new charges, binned it.

The people that were cut off stated that they were told it would be better to drop down to the €29 package, so that clears that point up, they are still paying €48.99

My last bill, two weeks ago stated "Unlimited", I would use 5Gb in a week sometimes, but was away last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Im paying 48.99 and was cut off for using too much, 14 gigs last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

How many people have actually been cut off? Ive only seen a handful from this thread and the other one, seems like its a bit of an over reaction. Simple fact is though lads Vodafone are entirely within their powers and I doubt the NCA would have much interest in the situation because the contract is not available anymore. Easiest answer here is to move provider and not give Vodafone your money anymore. A good amount of people who got Vodafone as soon as it came out will probably be able to get broadband from another provider by now even if its gonna be from the other mobile broadband provider O2 (three don't count because they only provides fraudband).

smellslikeshoes is right guys, I am out, I can get FWA, and have been able to for almost a year, its just Voda suited me as I travel about a lot.

I now need a good service with low pings, I have to use voip for business and the delay on Voda sometimes is too long, good luck with it!

Anyone want to buy a 3G router and antenna? I can get HSDPA from 12 miles away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭niallb

@Godskitchen Get in touch when you no longer need the router.
    I've a friend just outside Castlebar who'd love to take it it off yor hands.

She's already got the USB modem, but it's green light only with that.
    I bought down my own router last week with a small antenna, and we
    got decent 3G if not quite HSDPA.

Good luck whatever you decide.

naillb, PM sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭6digitnumber

I use 20Gb a month so i would say vodafone will be getting on to me soon then. Do they phone you or write to you? When they cut you off, do they automatically swith you over to the new capped service, or do they simply cut you off and terminate your contract?

From what has been said so far, it seems they just cut you off and inform you when you call them, charming! I dont think they can force you onto another contract, if they could, believe me they would!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

If you read the T&C's of the contract , they reserve the right to change the conditions of the Service at anytime. However by doing this you can back out of the 1 year contract you were tied into.

Its not a breach of contract, its within the terms of the contract and theres a get out clause there for both parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

The brit ASA has set a precedent on this one. Apparently in the english language, "unlimited" actually means "without limits"! Now, if we can just get marketing people to understand.
    http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/adjudications/Public/TF_ADJ_43242.htm

The brit ASA has set a precedent on this one. Apparently in the english language, "unlimited" actually means "without limits"! Now, if we can just get marketing people to understand.
    http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/adjudications/Public/TF_ADJ_43242.htm

Getting marketing people to understand anything that is not wrapped in spin/lies is near impossible, next to lawyers they are the scum of the earth, and I have some good friends in marketing.

Thats also a great link for anyone wanting to take this further!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭6digitnumber

From what has been said so far, it seems they just cut you off and inform you when you call them, charming! I dont think they can force you onto another contract, if they could, believe me they would!

I'm not at all surprised. A buddy of mine was using their capped 5Gb product, he 's not too clued up on computer things and woudlnt know the difference between a gigabyte and a lovebite. He went over his monthly allowance by quite a bit! 20Gb or so. Nobody called him to warn him about the huge bill he was running up, the 1st he knew was when his modem stopped working and he phoned them up himself. He was duly informed that he owed them 2000 euros or so...nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I'm not at all surprised. A buddy of mine was using their capped 5Gb product, he 's not too clued up on computer things and woudlnt know the difference between a gigabyte and a lovebite. He went over his monthly allowance by quite a bit! 20Gb or so. Nobody called him to warn him about the huge bill he was running up, the 1st he knew was when his modem stopped working and he phoned them up himself. He was duly informed that he owed them 2000 euros or so...nice!
    At the same time though its not Vodafones fault that he didn't know how much he was using, Do you think that a company would warn you about running up a bill to 2000 euro? They are a business not a charity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Just considering my options here. I currently use the e620 card with a router. If I switched to o2 could remove the sim from usb modem (or better yet forgo the modem and just get a 3g sim) and place it in the e620 I got from vodafone? Of course I would have to reconfig the connection details on the linksys router and I understand this would mean a reduction in max possible speed form 3.6Mb to 1.8Mb... but I'm just curious if it would work?

I'm a bit reluctant to go o2 as it strikes me as supporting just another Eircom. But I see they have double the download limit at half the price (of vodafone "unlimited") so seems like a better deal.
    PLUS, if you do pass the "fair usage" limits you won't run up at €2,000 bill without knowing as the o2 terms claim you will be informed and if you continue THEN they reserve the right to bill.
    its not Vodafones fault that he didn't know how much he was using
    It is if vodafone have no system in place to keep you up to date with your actual usage. To my knowledge there is nowhere you can check your actual usage, is there? If you use one system and the vodafone connect software it has a counter ok. But if you use more than one system (or a even dual boot system) or perhaps an OS that is not supported by vodafone & their connect software then there is no way to know except guess work.

I cannot find a hard copy of the T&C from last year, I believe it always had a fair usage clause but I don't remember there being a specified 5Gb max.
    Regardless, I agree with others it is pointless to waste time arguing with vodafone and the best thing to do is vote with our wallets and move provider.
    And of course I will move phones too.

Advertisement