Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling ALL Vodafone "Unlimited" data plan users

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

croo wrote: »
    It is if vodafone have no system in place to keep you up to date with your actual usage. To my knowledge there is nowhere you can check your actual usage, is there? If you use one system and the vodafone connect software it has a counter ok. But if you use more than one system (or a even dual boot system) or perhaps an OS that is not supported by vodafone & their connect software then there is no way to know except guess work.
    No court in the world would rule that its Vodafones fault that you went over the limit. Although I'm not 100% sure on a usage counter because up till now there has never been any talk of limits on unlimited package but you could always ring them and they would give you your statistics.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

ok, well perhaps fault is the wrong word :)
    But if cars had no speedometers how would you feel when you got a speeding ticket? Whose "fault" would it be? By law and in court it's still your fault of course for breaking the speed limit, but wouldn't you be thinking it's not fair?

I myself have no idea what my usage is until I see the bill at the end of the month. Now being on the "unlimited" package I expect if I do cross their 5Gb line they'll just stop my connection so I don't have to worry about a huge bill. But to offer a service with a limited usage but no means of measuring that usage (I don't think calling them is practical, you'd need to be calling every day) ... well it seems to me they may as well not put a price on the service at all. But, I'm sure that would be illegal!

So yes legally you are correct... but that doesn't make it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I will say this again, NOWHERE did my "Unlimited" talk of a cap, NEVER was 5Gb talked about, apart from one press release way back. I was never told 5Gb at any point.

It was then turned into fact by the internet, by people who were not in possession of a contract.

As I said before guys, I am moving over to FWA but I will help in any way I can with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Think that I might have been cut off, as of yesterday, I have yet to ring as I thought it might just be a ISP problem as my friend was unable to log onto his three broadband yesterday, All I am getting when I try and connect it that I am unable to get a IP address. I have the card plugged into a router ,and as I like this setup I do not wish to got with either 3 or O2 for the moment. Damm ..... If they have a 5GB policy why are we paying the 50 euro a month charge then. and I just got another bill the other day.

I got cut off once, for got to pay bill, was getting no ip as well.

If you have a laptop you will get a 619 error, the most descriptive error ever!

So sounds like you have got the chop.

Just out of interest, for those who did get cut off, you said Voda reconnected you and said dont be a bad boy again, so were they giving you another 5Gb for the rest of the month? did they say your "cap" started again?

• Advertisement

Just got this from another thread, if i was staying with HSDPA to connect to the net, I know what I would be doing right now, assuming you can pick up O2.

Xcellor wrote:
    If you want a decent cap go with o2. They offer Acceptable usage policy.

I did over 20 gigs and didn't get charged. Just make sure you aren't consistenly over and should be grand.

With Three they will extort every last penny from you because they are the cheapest provider of this service so I figure they must try to make their money on the chancers.

X
    I second that, did 40Gb (:o) myself and nowt said. Just don't do it constantly.

Taken from
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055115306&page=162

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭6digitnumber

Just got this from another thread, if i was staying with HSDPA to connect to the net, I know what I would be doing right now, assuming you can pick up O2.

Taken from
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055115306&page=162

But couldn't they just change their policy without notice and decide actually they want you to cough up €1000 for that extra 10Gigs you used this month? Is their anything in the contract that would forbid that?

croo wrote: »
    ok, well perhaps fault is the wrong word :)
    But if cars had no speedometers how would you feel when you got a speeding ticket? Whose "fault" would it be? By law and in court it's still your fault of course for breaking the speed limit, but wouldn't you be thinking it's not fair?
    It would be your fault for buying a car with no speedometer, you signed the contract, you used the bandwidth. Vodafone didn't force you to buy their product.

I am going to give them a ring as soon as I can and see what the story is and if they tell me that I have to stay within the 5GB limit, I will tell them to go and shove there cap where the sun doesn;t shine, as what is the point where of 10 euro less I can go to O2, and for 30 euro less I can try three ( I know about all the horror stories ). The only way to really get to them is if enough people leave they might change the stance on it,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

But couldn't they just change their policy without notice and decide actually they want you to cough up €1000 for that extra 10Gigs you used this month? Is their anything in the contract that would forbid that?

Technically, no.

However, O2 give a detailed explanation of their fair use policy. I invite you to read it. Go to the broadband section of their website. It may allay some of your fears.

In a lot of contracts, if the vendor wishes to change the contract terms, you must be notified in writing, and in some cases you are given the option of withdrawing from the revised contract. The latter part of this is rare; the better vendors do the former at least. Sometimes, instead of writing, they will have told you to keep an eye on a weblink. Not ideal, but at least an attempt to inform.

Time to read that small print!

• Advertisement

I am surprised at the lack of "Unlimited" users coming forward, I am sure there are more of us using the boards.

For those of you who can get O2, it might be a plan to call them, explain the stuation, explain your usage and ask them if they can help if you, as a group were to jump ****.

Worth a try.

Simple fact is though Godskitchen it seems like very few people have been cut off, there is plenty of users using boards but unless you're a broadband junkie you don't go into broadband unless you have a problem.

Simple fact is though Godskitchen it seems like very few people have been cut off, there is plenty of users using boards but unless you're a broadband junkie you don't go into broadband unless you have a problem.

Good point! Although I object to being called a junkie of any kind :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 davidf1412

They just cut me off (three times) without warning in the last 10 days. The first time I asked why I was cut off, was told 'we're having problems with 2g and 3g', the second time didn't ask and was reconnected right away, the 3rd time (a week ago, a Friday) was told I'm cut off until the next bill was paid.

I pleaded that I was a dr just about to do a weekend on call and my 3g modem replaces my reference books for medical info, literally a matter of potential life-and-death, they still said no, I said I'd had no warning though they said I'd been 'warned' twice already, I begged and grovelled and was eventually reconnected.

I'll be very happy to join in any group action against Vodafone. I've put dozens of my patients onto Vodafone, and will have great pleasure in recommending them to another provider. ie O2 Unless Vodafone can give me 'reasonable useage' which for me is a lot more than 5 gigs a month for about €50!

Plus you get put on hold forever when you try to get reconnected.

It seems to me they are making an effort to make it had to do business with them, they want us to leave, which I am doing but mainly for other reasons.

If you stick together and state your case, maybe even compromise in some places something might be salvaged from this.

As it stands this is a disgusting way for one of the worlds biggest companies to be treating some of its more knowledgeable and early adopters. I for sure wont be reccomending them anymore.

It may be that they are not breaking the contract or the law, but to me it stinks, there is a way of doing things and this is not it.

davidf1412 You are in an ideal position to go to the press with your horror story, I can just see the reaction of people when they find out a Doctor was with out something he uses to help and save lives! (Slow clap Vodafone)

Stick together guys, and as I said if I can help in anyway I will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 davidf1412

davidf1412 You are in an ideal position to go to the press with your horror story, I can just see the reaction of people when they find out a Doctor was with out something he uses to help and save lives! (Slow clap Vodafone)

Stick together guys, and as I said if I can help in anyway I will.

I'll look for press contacts or write a letter. I checked The Register as recommended earlier in this thread but it seems to be located in a foreign land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

It'd help to understand if specific user profiles being targeted. Vodafone has been pushing its 'unlimited' 3G phone service this Autumn and thats who we are sharing bandwidth with. Are people who have been disco'd:
    Connected continuously?
    Connected as and when needed?
    Located in a high population area?
    Downloading high volumes at peak periods or at off-peak? etc.

As far as I know wasn't the unlimited contract wording changed to include 5GB as per 'fair usage' earlier this year some time before the launch of the capped service?

I have been signed up just over a year. Definitely over the '5gb' per month but only usually have 7-8gb usage.

If a 5gb cap was 'volunteered' I would have to leave Vodafone mainly because of the penalty applied when exceeding the cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Wow! didnt know they were at this. Id love to know what Unlimited means in their dictionary. Its out of order, maybe they think due to the poor state of BB rollout in this country.

Too bad, I wont be as qucik to recommend them again. :mad:

Just an update on my situation, I rang Vodafone this morning to report the problem and I was put on to Tech support, she was not too happy with the fact this was using the router as they say they do not support this but as I no longer have a laptop with a PCMCIA slot I could not do much about this. She said that she would disconnect me and reconnect me to the nework, and it seems to have worked. Great no mention about limits or anything like that, so I will just keep my head down for a while longer.

Cassiel My "Unlimited" contract had no talk of caps, let along anything to do with 5Gb, NOTHING.

I am connecting to a mast that I am pretty sure no one esle really uses, its in a small village and the village had DSL and FWA, still waiting to see if I get cut off, if I do all hell will break loose, someone is going to have a bad day at work thats for sure. They can cancel the contract if they like, I am leaving anyway, and taking my €200+ a month phone bill with me

anthony4335She was not happy about you using a router? Its Voadfone branded for f's sake, they really dont have a clue do they! utter clowns!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

It would be your fault for buying a car with no speedometer, you signed the contract, you used the bandwidth. Vodafone didn't force you to buy their product.

Well on this, smellslikeshoes, I think we must agree to disagree.
    As I say, in my book, legal does not make it fair.
    I am not a big fan of caveat emptor. While I accept it as a policy I should adhere to myself, I also am aware that not everyone is born with equal abilities to do likewise ... which is, I believe, why we have consumer legislation - to offer some form of protection.

Of course I didn't buy vodafones 5Gb limited package.
    I haven't haven't used more bandwidth than allowed.
    I haven't been billed for excess usage.
    And I haven't been disconnected.
    So the discussion is pretty much academic. But while I have not yet been directly effected I am (once I call to confirm the new terms) changing provider because vodafone sold me an "unlimited" package which they are now saying means I am limited to 5Gb.
    So I am re-evaluating my situation based on these new terms and my personal interpretation of the trust worthiness of vodafone to keep to the terms of an agreement (in spirit as well as law), and buying from a vendor that believe offers a better deal and better terms.

re: linksys router
    Yes my linksys router is branded vodafone so I fail to see why they should be unhappy with its use.

I got cut off today.

When I rang them they put me on hold for about 10 minutes, after which the girl came back on and said my account had been suspended but it was obviously a mistake as I had only used 3Gb of my 5Gb limit so far this month, she told me she had got my account back online and I had 2 Gb remaining this month!!

I tried to explain that I am on 'unlimited' data.I dont think she even heard of the package so after 10 minutes of trying to explain to her that i CANNOT be charged if i use over 5Gb she gave up and put me onto her supervisor.

The supervisor was adament that if I go over 5Gb I will be charged per Mb extra. I tried to explain to her that I was on 'unlimited' data but she told me that the unlimited contract was subject to a 5Gb fair usage policy and any extra WOULD be charged. I pleaded that nowhere in my contract was a mention of a 5Gb but to no avail.

So instead of terminating my contract, they left me signed up but have completely changed my terms and conditions, nowhere in writing, but verbally it seems?!

I told her that if they have changed the terms of my contract then the contract is null and void and I should no longer be billed and my account cancelled. But NO they are leaving my account active (subject to 5Gb limit) and it can only be cancelled in writing, and I have pay an extra months bill before I can cancel it.

These people are Nazis, how can they get away with that?
    I

This is now a joke, How long did you have left on your contract? They better not try and pull this crap when I come to cancel!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I actually put in a complaint to the ASA over a year ago when the 'unlimited' package first came out. They mentioned a fair usage policy from the start. The ASA sent me some letters, basically saying that they were happy with Vodafones explaination of 'unlimited'. I tried to make the point that unlimited should mean without limits but I don't think they took my arguements on board. I must dig up the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Found my case on the asa website.

http://www.asai.ie/complaint_view.asp?CID=285&BID=13

I have only a week left on my contract. This supervisor actually rang me back since my last post and said she had now switched me over to the new tariff of 29.99 a month (or whatever it is) and the id get the 1st 3 months for 14.99. She actually thought I would greet this with applause and gratitude.

I told her I had NEVER agreed to that contract and to remove me from it immediately. She then put me back on the 48.99 rate but reiterated that I would be charged for any usage over 5Gb (I doubt they really could charge me for extra on that contract? But I wont take the chance as I pay by direct debit and getting it back would take time and energy).

I will be cancelling tomorrow, makes me sick that I have to give 30 days notice to these lunatics though. I'll be changing my phone account also, and will never again be purchasing any vodafone product.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

niallb wrote: »
    Who here has actully been cut off and what dates did they start their contract with Vodafone.
    Were you still paying €48.99 a month?

Edit: OK, I see from the other thread that people in this situation have been cut off.
    I'd use about 5-8G a month, working from home - any really big downloads between 2am and 6am
    Guess I'll find out soon enough.

I'm on unlimited myself since last December, and rang Vodafone after receving an
    advert in the post about the cheaper 5G capped service last month.

I rang and stated I did not want to change my account to the cheaper option,
    and asked them to confirm that I was still on an Unlimited tariff, and not
    restricted to a 5G limit. They did so without hesitation.
    I've been wondering whether they'll let me renew it,
    but I guess I'll find out next month.

Any chance people who were cut off had recently had their bill dropped from
    €48.99 a month to €29.99 a month - perhaps after 12 months unlimited?

This needs to be an accurate picture before going anywhere.
    €48.99 is Unlimited, €29.99 is 5GB

NiallB

Hi Niall,

I started the other thread and I was actually cut off and reconnected...

I too got the 5gb thing int he post and phoned and they confirmed that I was Unlimited as well... and then they go and cut me off....

I hadn't used it for 3 months previously...

yeah this seemed to be the case.. I used on for the rest of the month and didn't get cut of again..

error 619 was the error i got when cut off telling me to try again later which i did for 3 days before ringing them...

I havn't yet used it this monh but I'm turning it on now and plan to use a bit ove the next few days

I got cut off once, for got to pay bill, was getting no ip as well.

If you have a laptop you will get a 619 error, the most descriptive error ever!

So sounds like you have got the chop.

Just out of interest, for those who did get cut off, you said Voda reconnected you and said dont be a bad boy again, so were they giving you another 5Gb for the rest of the month? did they say your "cap" started again?

Ok sorry for the late joining of this one guys... I'm fed up to the teeth of them..... Just had another conversation with them where they are trying to tell me I've been moved to their 5gb cap service but cant explain why I'm still being charged 49 per month... she said we dont do an unlimited service!! they are going to call me back tomorrow she says....

Well see... I'm up for whatever action is seen fit.... hate getting bullied!

Mac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭conjamuk

Its not just the data tarrif i am pissed of at it is also the modem i have, it randomly disconnects for no reason I am going to cancel my contract soon

Advertisement