Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is it legal to drive with no reg plates?

Options
  • 26-11-2007 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I have to go to the VRO in tallaght tomorrow to vrt my car imported from japan insurance will cover me but there is no reg plates on it until it is vrt will i get in trouble by the garda if they pull me over?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Well even if you had the original Japanese plates you're not allowed to use them outside of Japan (due to them being in Japanese) - they issue special romanized number plates to people travelling abroad with their cars. I'm pretty sure you're not eligible for that :)

There are temporary ZZ plates, but they're for use the other way round, i.e. someone buying a new car in Ireland for export (dunno why anyone would want to do that!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

My Dad was telling me in the late 80's, early 90's, it was common from November onwards to see new cars with "For Reg" on them and people would register them in January
    I've no idea if this is true but you've no chance of that nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

micmclo wrote: »
    My Dad was telling me in the late 80's, early 90's, it was common from November onwards to see new cars with "For Reg" on them and people would register them in January
    I've no idea if this is true but you've no chance of that nowadays

Remember it well. But reg system was not a year based one till 87 onwards so not as much to gain as is the case today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,122 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I seriously don't think it's a good idea. It was acceptable in the 80's and 90's alright, but that changed in '93 and I believe the current thinking is that anybody without plates can be prosecuted. I'd leave the jap plates on at least. Phone them early in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

No, it's not legal, regardless, no excuses. So i've heard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Do you have to bring the jap car to the vrt office.Can you not just go with the paper work and get it vrt'ed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I think the Gardai will be grand once you are on route to the VRO, only other option is a tow truck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gillyfromlyre

hubby drove without plates for a full 2 days and got away scot free, having said that I would'nt recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jus

There is no plates on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

drdre wrote: »
    Do you have to bring the jap car to the vrt office.Can you not just go with the paper work and get it vrt'ed.

You're supposed to bring it, so that they can walk downstairs, and charge you for every "extra" that they feel like charging you for. Or at least to check the mileage and chassis number.
    Just drive it to the VRO and explain to any Guard what you're doing in the off-chance that you get caught.

• Advertisement
Advertisement